Jack Charlton dies - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jack Charlton dies

Indeed. As you'll remember it was nice to meet him in 2008 when we went to Carlisle v Bournemouth at Brunton Park.

On overhearing our Scottish accents he asked why we were at the game and who we supported up here, before going on to chat to us about Morton, although his knowledge was understandably limited.

Certainly the only World Cup winner, but also the most approachable, amiable footballer or ex-footballer I've ever met .

Quite saddened by this news today, rest in peace.

7 hours ago, Toby said:

Indeed. As you'll remember it was nice to meet him in 2008 when we went to Carlisle v Bournemouth at Brunton Park.

On overhearing our Scottish accents he asked why we were at the game and who we supported up here, before going on to chat to us about Morton, although his knowledge was understandably limited.

Certainly the only World Cup winner, but also the most approachable, amiable footballer or ex-footballer I've ever met .

Funnily enough I was thinking about that time today.  He spent a good amount of time talking to us and was genuinely interested in who we were, who we supported albeit he got Morton & St.Mirren a bit mixed up but he was a smashing big guy.  A true gentleman.

The term 'legend' is perhaps one of the most overused terms in in Football however there was a guy that was deserving of the term - both on and off the park - someone that reached the peaks in the game and that all genuine Football fans could really look up to.

It was sad to read that he was struggling with lymphoma and dementia in his final days, but he's at peace now.  God bless you Jack.

*insert signature here*

19 hours ago, Toby said:

I met him about 2006 at Kings Park in Stirling when Keir was playing in a football tournament, he was handing out the prizes. Only spoke to him briefly, but found him to be a genuinely decent, friendly and down to earth man.

RIP 

Archived