Sign in to follow this  
vikingTON

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

With Hearts llikely to skoosh the league it;s not really the time to be pushing the boat out. Fuck risking going bust for a chance at finishing 2nd.

Agreed. Dunfermline have money to spend from the Nisbet sale but as I said I'm not entirely convinced about their signings. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I think the priority this season is to finish mid-table - keep clear of the relegation zone but without spending enough to win promotion.  The current owners will want to keep costs under control.  Nest season we can start thinking about the way forward in the longer term.  If we end up skooshing the league anyway because everyone else is really shite,, that's a bonus but I don't think it's likely.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I think the priority this season is to finish mid-table - keep clear of the relegation zone but without spending enough to win promotion.  The current owners will want to keep costs under control.  Nest season we can start thinking about the way forward in the longer term.  If we end up skooshing the league anyway because everyone else is really shite,, that's a bonus but I don't think it's likely.

I don't think much will change between last season and this one. GC closed the purse last season to make us live within our means, so it'll be same again this season.

If anything it'll be MCT who will be watching the pennies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53375596

MacKinnon's comments there:

The key thing is operating a break-even budget. Last season we had one of the lowest budgets in the Championship and we'd taken several hundred thousand off it.

If we are facing the worst-case scenario, whereby there are no fans coming through the turnstiles until 2021, the budget we had last year would need to be cut even further. If we don't get it right, it could put the future of the club in jeopardy and we won't allow that to happen.

We furloughed our players until the end of May and then extended that to the end of July. We took the decision that the situation was unfair on players and we didn't want to add to their stress.

I think the players are realistic about the situation. We have a core of seven or eight and would look to add 12-14 more, but because of the uncertainty we have to balance things very finely.

The SFA and the SPFL are looking into extending the transfer window for Championship, League One and League Two clubs. They are also looking at increasing the number of loan players from four to six, and to extending the period when you can sign players on loan.

We know the budget isn't finalised yet and if the club get more clarity about when fans could be back in grounds then it could change, but am I reading too much into this by thinking MacKinnon is preparing us for having a massively reduced squad this season?

Cuts are obviously inevitable with fewer games and therefore less income, but reading between the lines here I wonder if we're going to end up with any new signings being gambles on cheap loans while relying heavily on youth players for cover beyond the starting XI.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

51 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53375596

MacKinnon's comments there:

We know the budget isn't finalised yet and if the club get more clarity about when fans could be back in grounds then it could change, but am I reading too much into this by thinking MacKinnon is preparing us for having a massively reduced squad this season?

Cuts are obviously inevitable with fewer games and therefore less income, but reading between the lines here I wonder if we're going to end up with any new signings being gambles on cheap loans while relying heavily on youth players for cover beyond the starting XI.

I think that you are, as 'adding 12 to 14 players' to a core doesn't mean that they will all necessarily come from the existing squad or loans: some obviously will, others probably won't. In any case if you're only playing 27 league games and there's extended scope to loan players as well then you should be running with a significantly smaller squad. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 minutes ago, Chesh said:

I have a feeling we are about to sign Gregg Wylde

Same. Fucking hope not. 

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Why?

Could be complete coincidence but Wylde put out a tweet suggesting he’s about to sign for a club and the tele boy liked it. Could mean nothing but similar stuff has happened before! 

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

Could be complete coincidence but Wylde put out a tweet suggesting he’s about to sign for a club and the tele boy liked it. Could mean nothing but similar stuff has happened before! 

Thanks.

Are Clyde rejects going to be the new Brechin rejects? Hope there's no truth to this, and I doubt it since as of Wednesday last week MCT said the club still hadn't finalised the budget for the season anyway.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 hours ago, Chesh said:

I have a feeling we are about to sign Gregg Wylde

An FM18 hero, but not one I'd want to sign in real life. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

If that’s the level of player we’ll be bringing in this season we’re in for some time of it.

I reckon he's another heading for a Kelty, East Kilbride or Darvel type club that are launching money around below the SPFL. I mean, we're talking about a 29 year old who has literally only had one good season in his career (in England's League Two), has a reputation built entirely on the fact he came through at Rangers as a youngster, has done nothing of note since and is now a Clyde reject. That's got marquee signing for a non-league club written all over it.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I’m hoping he’s off to Darvel or something.

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

I reckon he's another heading for a Kelty, East Kilbride or Darvel type club that are launching money around below the SPFL. I mean, we're talking about a 29 year old who has literally only had one good season in his career (in England's League Two), has a reputation built entirely on the fact he came through at Rangers as a youngster, has done nothing of note since and is now a Clyde reject. That's got marquee signing for a non-league club written all over it.

Nailed it 

He joins Eddie Malone (Morton appearances: 1, including 0 as a substitute) at the Shire.

edit: as well as Lowland League stand-out Nicky Low.

Edited by TRVMP

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

The transfer window has now officially opened in Scotland, and will remain open for 12 weeks, closing on the 5th of October, some 12 days before we're due to play our first league game of the season.

It's now imperative that Hopkin is taken off furlough to allow him to start putting a team together.

8 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

The transfer window has now officially opened in Scotland, and will remain open for 12 weeks, closing on the 5th of October, some 12 days before we're due to play our first league game of the season.

It's now imperative that Hopkin is taken off furlough to allow him to start putting a team together.

Looking to extend the October loan window for L1 and L2 to also include Championship. So we can make loan signings after the 5th?

I'm sure a furloughed Hopkin will still be orchestrating some dealings anyway but don't disagree.

1 hour ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Ive no doubt Hopkin will be speaking to players and agents all day every day regardless of being on furlough.

Edited by Madton

All in with a Doyle Brunson

1 minute ago, Madton said:

Ive no doubt Hopkin will be speaking to players and agents all day every day regardless of being on furlough.

I sure hope not, as that would likely be seen as a breach of his furlough conditions.

I reckon you're probably right though.