Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

21 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Whose interest is it in exactly for 'Dunfermline thinking about a potential contract offer mebbe' to be splashed across the Tele as 'an audacious move'? I sense a ham-fisted agent at work here.

Agree. Good to see the great relationship between the club and the Tele at work.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, EdinTon said:

Does it not? 🤔

'Out of contract player might possibly receive a potential offer from another club if they decide they want to offer one.'

Very, very different from your proclamation of 'rumoured to be away.'

38 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

'Out of contract player might possibly receive a potential offer from another club if they decide they want to offer one.'

Very, very different from your proclamation of 'rumoured to be away.'

“Morton could be set to lose another key man” = speculation that a player might leave our club = rumoured to be away. 

12 minutes ago, EdinTon said:

“Morton could be set to lose another key man” = speculation that a player might leave our club = rumoured to be away. 

Well no because the latter indicates a decided outcome and not an uncertain event e.g. 'I'm away to the pub' = this is happening both right now and is 100% certain. 'I might go to the pub' = neither of the above. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Any other time I wouldn’t be too fussed about losing Nesbitt, but at this moment in time we’re highly unlikely to be able to upgrade. He’d be a near certainty to score against us too at some point. 

2 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Well no because the latter indicates a decided outcome and not an uncertain event e.g. 'I'm away to the pub' = this is happening both right now and is 100% certain. 'I might go to the pub' = neither of the above. 

Rumoured to be away to the pub indicates something that hasn’t been decided yet to me. 

Just now, EdinTon said:

Rumoured to be away to the pub indicates something that hasn’t been decided yet to me. 

No, it indicates that something has been decided and is happening right now but you aren't 100% sure of the source for it. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

46 minutes ago, EdinTon said:

'Rumoured to be away' means there are rumours that he is already away, it's just not official yet.

The very quote you listed states 'could be' therefore not 'away' and continues to say Dunfermline are only considering the option.

What the story actually says, is that in a completely shocking turn of events, an out of contract player might receive more than just an offer to stay. 

Your sensationalising of the article with 'rumoured to be away' makes the Tele's own sensationalising of a non-story look like Pulitzer prize winning journalism.

Wonder if we are going to be making any moves to bring in new players soon... 

Obviously dunfermline have signed a few and their fans are wanking furiously because of it but in all honesty I don't think I'd be fussed if any of them came here. Maybe O'Hara at a push as he is young with potential but the rest whittaker (done), Watson (meh), mcmanus (league 1 player and a rat), thomas (flatters to deceive) I wouldn't thank you for. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Clubs outside the Premiership aren't going to be back in training until mid to late August and I doubt most will start making signings until the end of July, when furlough stops automatically covering 80% with no employer contribution and the extended contracts are up. Hearts and Dunfermline are the only clubs making new signings so far, and many others extended contracts to 31 July.

Hopkin will have targets in mind regardless, although I was concerned to hear that the board still haven't finalised the budget. Again that's fine if it's confirmed in time for most recruitment getting underway, but I hope it's not led to the club withdrawing offers already made to players at the club until it's finalised.

Maybe Dunfermline have seen doing business early as a way to appeal more to players, but in these circumstances I'm happy enough for the club to wait. You don't want to saddle yourself with wages to pay when you're months away from the start of the season and still don't know yet when you'll have revenue through the gate. Although I suppose it's possible that Dunfermline are announcing these signings now while the contracts don't formally start until a later date, eg August 1.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Hearts doing it to pray to the gallery and continue to deflect from the shit show that has been their performances for the past year, Dunfermline spending their windfall and also continuing their favoured brand of financial mismanagement.

Nobody else is doing any business so don't see any from us either for the foreseeable.

Dundee could be suspending all contracts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53369704

End of July when decisions need made on the furloughed players would probably be the start of anything from us.

With Hearts llikely to skoosh the league it;s not really the time to be pushing the boat out. Fuck risking going bust for a chance at finishing 2nd.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

With Hearts llikely to skoosh the league it;s not really the time to be pushing the boat out. Fuck risking going bust for a chance at finishing 2nd.

Agreed. Dunfermline have money to spend from the Nisbet sale but as I said I'm not entirely convinced about their signings. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I think the priority this season is to finish mid-table - keep clear of the relegation zone but without spending enough to win promotion.  The current owners will want to keep costs under control.  Nest season we can start thinking about the way forward in the longer term.  If we end up skooshing the league anyway because everyone else is really shite,, that's a bonus but I don't think it's likely.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I think the priority this season is to finish mid-table - keep clear of the relegation zone but without spending enough to win promotion.  The current owners will want to keep costs under control.  Nest season we can start thinking about the way forward in the longer term.  If we end up skooshing the league anyway because everyone else is really shite,, that's a bonus but I don't think it's likely.

I don't think much will change between last season and this one. GC closed the purse last season to make us live within our means, so it'll be same again this season.

If anything it'll be MCT who will be watching the pennies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53375596

MacKinnon's comments there:

The key thing is operating a break-even budget. Last season we had one of the lowest budgets in the Championship and we'd taken several hundred thousand off it.

If we are facing the worst-case scenario, whereby there are no fans coming through the turnstiles until 2021, the budget we had last year would need to be cut even further. If we don't get it right, it could put the future of the club in jeopardy and we won't allow that to happen.

We furloughed our players until the end of May and then extended that to the end of July. We took the decision that the situation was unfair on players and we didn't want to add to their stress.

I think the players are realistic about the situation. We have a core of seven or eight and would look to add 12-14 more, but because of the uncertainty we have to balance things very finely.

The SFA and the SPFL are looking into extending the transfer window for Championship, League One and League Two clubs. They are also looking at increasing the number of loan players from four to six, and to extending the period when you can sign players on loan.

We know the budget isn't finalised yet and if the club get more clarity about when fans could be back in grounds then it could change, but am I reading too much into this by thinking MacKinnon is preparing us for having a massively reduced squad this season?

Cuts are obviously inevitable with fewer games and therefore less income, but reading between the lines here I wonder if we're going to end up with any new signings being gambles on cheap loans while relying heavily on youth players for cover beyond the starting XI.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived