vikingTON

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Haven't really been worrying about our lack of transfer action up until now as there was still a while away before the season starts, but its growing ever closer and we seem to be the only club not signing the sort of targets that mid table championship teams compete over every year. 

Is it too late to scout the Slovakian Sunday leagues again? 

I agree - it's not that we're late per se, it's that realistic targets are going elsewhere, and other teams are starting to develop a decent-looking* first XI.

*by our league's standards

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

On 8/30/2020 at 6:48 PM, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

We're apparently being linked to the loan signing of Livingston striker Jack Hamilton. He's been on loan with Alloa and Queen of the South in the last 2 seasons, scoring against us for both teams.

Joins East Fife on loan for the season.

Apparently didn't play much last season (2019-20) as Central Coast Mariners LANGUISHED in last place in the A-League.

Do you like Abba?

same old pish fromthe ton, no season ticket from me.im out/what about davie mckinnon the laugh ing guy.gmfc.net.
wer,e still waiting.and bloddy crawford. he a  clever guy owns cappielow. and the car park. pardon mel l still support from 
the house? slag me if you want.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Cheers. Do we really need another central midfielder though.. 

Lol aye a good one. 

This squad definitely needs another attacking midfielder what with already having about a dozen creative central midfielders and wingers, while only having two (shite) centre backs, no right back and four options at centre forward who are all actually number 10s, wingers, or Robbie Muirheads who've happened to stand in as centre forwards on occasion.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Courier reporting that we're after Wallace Duffy from St Johnstone, has played both centre back and right back. Cove are also interested.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Davidson's said they want to loan him out rather than letting him leave permanently, so that probably makes it more likely he'll come to us rather than Cove.

I've little doubt they'd be able to outbid us and/or offer a 2 year deal if it was a permanent transfer, but with a loan St Johnstone will want him at a higher level and guaranteed a game, which he's more likely to get with us considering that we only have four defenders, which includes a 21 year old with 3 appearances and an injury prone 35 year old.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Only 24 days remain in this transer window, which closes one day before our first league cup game. It's getting to the stage now where signings need to be made sooner rather than later, particularly goalkeeper and defence. A keper in particular needs to build up some level of understanding with his defence.

Any mention of friendlies being played in the next few weeks? 

Edited by Stevie Aitken's Love Child
  • Upvote 1

The window for loans does remain open until the end of October but yeah, we need to move fast and don't want to be depending on loans being available after the season starts. Particularly with the defence, we can't afford them needing time to gel after the league starts with a shortened season, and there's no guarantee more loanees will be available later on.

Premiership clubs are far enough into their seasons that they already know which fringe players aren't going to get games, which is why the likes of Duffy and Baird are being moved on now. Holding out for more players to become available would be a hugely risk strategy.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

The window for loans does remain open until the end of October but yeah, we need to move fast and don't want to be depending on loans being available after the season starts. Particularly with the defence, we can't afford them needing time to gel after the league starts with a shortened season, and there's no guarantee more loanees will be available later on.

Premiership clubs are far enough into their seasons that they already know which fringe players aren't going to get games, which is why the likes of Duffy and Baird are being moved on now. Holding out for more players to become available would be a hugely risk strategy.

Exactly this. Hopkin mentioned Goodwin telling him Baird wouldn’t be available earlier on before changing that view. Obviously realising that he had his bases covered and Baird would therefore be surplus to requirement. As you say, we are far enough in now that teams will know which players are definitely not in their plans and playing some form of waiting game until mid October would be madness.

15 minutes ago, Doddie said:

Signings incoming then 

Yep, I'm encouraged to see so many being put out on loan instead of claiming that they 'can do a job' for us this season. Demonstrate that at a lower level first and then you can break into the first team squad. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

No harm at all to the boy, but Hynes evidently isn’t going to be a RB for us. He’s 21 and he’s away to that level. There’s obviously a reason he hasn’t had a look in from our last 3 managers outside of cup games.

• Upvote 1

Aye, more than happy to see them head out as it should prompt imminent arrivals.

We signing 2 keepers then...

They've obviously had enough of a look at these guys over three weeks of training with the first team to decide they just aren't up to Championship football yet.

On one hand you do then have to question why the older players in that group were given new contracts in the circumstances. McKinnon said that some of them were signed up specifically with the intention of putting them out on loan to continue their development but others were clearly signed to contribute to the first team immediately, so if the manager wasn't already confident they could do that they probably shouldn't have got contracts in the first place. However it's a good thing that they've made this call now based on what they've seen in training rather than hoping for the best, launching them into first team football then having to scramble around for replacements after the season starts.

It is a concern that Wylie's one of the players to go though, although it's obviously the right thing to do if they're concerned he wouldn't cope. Two first team wages now needing to be spent on goalkeepers rather than one in addition to the other signings we already need makes you wonder if this will actually allow the budget to stretch to all the other additions we need.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall of Hopkin and MacKinnon's squad planning meetings ahead of the season.

It's not like Hoppy's had months of sitting on his arse on furlough to not even give it a little think...

Realistically, how much are these guys making, and how much are greyed-out teams like Greenock and St. Cadoc's going to be paying of that? From a sporting perspective these are good moves, get the guys who aren't ready for the Championship some first team footbal, but from a squad perspective I doubt we're saving much and we're almost certainly going into the season with the bare bones.

Do you like Abba?