Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 12 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

11 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

No idea what Morton are planning if they even are at all, but Raith and Ayr are going back to training on 17th August so in 2 weeks time.

Yeah, not saying we have until the day before the season starts to build a squad, but there's still time.

This is a separate issue from the club choosing not to communicate any plans to supporters.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

No idea what Morton are planning if they even are at all, but Raith and Ayr are going back to training on 17th August so in 2 weeks time.

That's fully six weeks before the Betfred Cup games start, which would be equivalent to starting pre-season training on the first week of June in a normal season. I'd be quite comfortable for us not to start until September, it's not as if players have been sitting in the pub necking ten pints of Guinness every day during the shutdown anyway.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Yeah, having no new signings yet isn't an issue. The Betfred Cup doesn't start until 6 October so we're currently at the equivalent of the middle of May in a normal summer. We have a massive amount of time to build a squad, and anyone condemning us to relegation already is massively over-reacting.

That's a separate issue from the complete failure to communicate with fans, and the apparent failure to communicate with out of contract players as well which is a gross abdication of responsibility. Coming to the conclusion they've made that grievious fuck up isn't just from reading between the lines on Tumilty, but McAlister was in the Tele last week with a comment along the lines of "if I'm offered something".

It beggars belief that less than a week before contracts expired, the club didn't already have Hopkin off furlough, the decisions made on who would be offered a deal and had those conversations with the players. Having no new signings in isn't an issue at this stage, but that handling of out of contract players is an absolute shitshow.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 minute ago, vikingTON said:

That's fully six weeks before the Betfred Cup games start, which would be equivalent to starting pre-season training on the first week of June in a normal season. I'd be quite comfortable for us not to start until September, it's not as if players have been sitting in the pub necking ten pints of Guinness every day during the shutdown anyway.  

The length of time they've had since their last competitive action makes a longer pre-season than usual sensible. It's going to take longer to build back up.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

The length of time they've had since their last competitive action makes a longer pre-season than usual sensible. It's going to take longer to build back up.

Build back up from what exactly? This isn't the 1970s and IIRC players even had fitness plans given to them by the club when formal training was put on hold in March. They won't have forgotten how to kick a ball either.

I'm sure that any coach worth their salt would like to have an extra two weeks of pre-season training under just about any circumstances but the idea that it is necessary because of a longer layoff seems far-fetched. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

Yeah, having no new signings yet isn't an issue.

It's not when you look at the time there is still until the new season starts.

But it is when the likes of Raith, Dunfermline and Dundee are signing players and the likes of Alloa and Arbroath have got most of their squad from last season tied up already. We're behind already and the available player pool is getting smaller by the day.

17 hours ago, EdinTon said:

It's not when you look at the time there is still until the new season starts.

But it is when the likes of Raith, Dunfermline and Dundee are signing players and the likes of Alloa and Arbroath have got most of their squad from last season tied up already. We're behind already and the available player pool is getting smaller by the day.

That's the problem.  If all the better players are signed up early, we will be left with the dross.  It might be a gamble to sign players now in case there is a second wave and the season is cancelled, but unless that happens were are going to need a team - we have I assume got Strapp, Lyon, Colville & a few others on a further year already but we have no strikers, no keeper, no defenders apart from Strapp, so a lot of signings needed.  It's a bit risky to procrastinate.  Any word on Nesbitt btw?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

That's the problem.  If all the better players are signed up early, we will be left with the dross.  It might be a gamble to sign players now in case there is a second wave and the season is cancelled, but unless that happens were are going to need a team - we have I assume got Strapp, Lyon, Colville & a few others on a further year already but we have no strikers, no keeper, no defenders apart from Strapp, so a lot of signings needed.  It's a bit risky to procrastinate.  Any word on Nesbitt btw?

We don't need a full second outbreak and for the season to be cancelled to have a problem. You just need the existence of significant outbreak clusters right now - and there will no doubt be more when the schools return with next to no counter-measures taken whatsoever - to lead the SG to put the idea of having crowds at sporting events on hold for the foreseeable future. It has already slapped down any further move towards Phase 4 for at least another three weeks, so that is what could well be coming down the chute. A season of streamed matches only at this level would be financially ruinous to clubs and is a somewhat likely scenario to occur. So you're not just 'gambling' over what division we play in like an any other close season here: you're also 'gambling' with the very survival of the club. That's not something that I think we should be doing at any time, never mind when the club is in the process of a critical transition to a new ownership structure.

Prudence and minimising our exposure to costs we might not be able to pay in a few months time is not a fun nor enthusiasm-driving strategy but it should be exactly what we demand from those running the club right now. And while other clubs are battering in with two year deals all round and no doubt preparing to get the begging bowl out again later if it all goes wrong, it's notable that at least Queen of the South are adopting a similar stance to ourselves. 

What we do need however is regular communication about the club's strategy going into this season rather than the omerta that has been in place at Cappielow in recent weeks. 

17 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Does anyone know FOR SURE that Hopkin wasn't taken off furlough early?

Aye because he's actually been going into the blind toaster room and playing Snake on his phone every day since the middle of June. 

PLAYER CONTRACT UPDATE

With the return of the Manager David Hopkin from furlough on Monday, and the player budget for the season ahead recently being completed by the Board, we are now in a position to announce the following retention and release list. Thank you for your patience.

As the football landscape in Scotland continues to regress to deal with the challenges of the Covid-19 virus, we, as a Club, intend to concentrate fully on maintaining our league position by focusing on our First-Team squad. With no Reserve league fixtures planned for this season, we, like many clubs will reduce our player numbers, and put a hold on carrying Reserve or Development squads with no platform upon which to play.

This decision, that has not been taken lightly, has been made to protect Greenock Morton FC going forward and to ensure we continue to be in the best shape as a Club, to come through this pandemic. This of course will be revisited in the future as circumstances dictate.

At this time, it is imperative that the correct balance of experience, youth, and knowledge of the Club and the League, gives us the best possible chance to successfully tackle the challenges ahead. With that in mind we are delighted to extend the contracts of the following players:

Captain Jim McAlister, Brian McLean, Chris Millar, Aidan Nesbitt, Robbie Muirhead and Sean McGinty.

Additionally we have also agreed extensions with young players, Darren Hynes, Lewis McGrattan and Shaun Rodgers.

We are also delighted to announce that we have agreed a one-year contract with both, Rabin Omar and Gary Oliver. Dutch-national Rabin spent last season at Elgin City having previously gained experience at Annan Athletic and will be making a well-anticipated move to full-time football having studied for a Chemistry Degree, whilst Gary, a fans’ favourite from his previous time at Morton, is looking forward to returning to the Club for a second spell.

Gary-and-Rabin-min-300x200.jpg
These players join our existing contracted players, Lewis Strapp, Kalvin Orsi, Cameron Blues, Cameron Salkeld, Luca Colville, Reece Lyon, Kyle Jacobs, Craig McGuffie, Alexander Easdale and Chris Wylie.

We have also five young Development players under contract and it is our intention to complete loan-deals to give these players the experience of playing “Adult” team football during the season ahead. The players are:
John Gallagher, Michael Garrity, Chris Stafford, Aidan Duffy and Ben Docherty.

We would also like to announce the appointment of a new Club Physiotherapist, Euan Duffy. Euan has football experience and has been one of the NHS Scotland heroes in the last five months, fighting Covid-19 on the front line.

Unfortunately, we have had to release the following players and in wishing them well for the future, we would also like to place on record our grateful thanks to them for their contribution during their time at the Club:

Kris Doolan, Reghan Tumilty, Sam Ramsbottom, Ben Eardley, Jonathon Lyon, Gavin Watt, Kieran Brophy.

Reserve team Coach John Sutton has also left us and we would particularly like to thank John for his time at the Club as a Coach, and latterly as a player.

Finally, it is our intention to add to the squad over the coming weeks whilst operating within the current budget constraints of this uncertain time.

With the coaching staff coming off furlough, the players have been given a focused 2 week programme, for a return to training on the 17th of August, in preparation for the Betfred Cup which commences on the 6th of October.

McLean and McGinty kept😬

Oliver returns.

Random dutch player from lower leagues✔

Well, if Oliver can somehow get back to that bit of form he had under Duffy where he was one of our best players then I’ll welcome it. If he’s the exact same as he was in his last season here then...

Dutch guy I haven’t a clue about but we’re apparently contractually obliged to sign one every season or two.

Brian “Champagne” McLean staying is surprising too. I’m just glad we’ve finally got an update. 

The release list doesn't actually look that bad on paper. Some of the retained players are clearly due to budget restraints but hopefully Hopkin can get the best out of them. 

Keeping Nesbitt is an absolutely essential piece of business. Overjoyed with that. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Funny how Oliver said last year he can do better than what was on offer only to return a year later. Good news on Nesbitt. Not so good news on Muirhead and Millar. No harm to the guy but he looked completely done last season. 

This coming season can just pass with the retained dross in the squad. I appreciate with a limited budget and a hiatus until the Rae Family depart the scene and MCT take over life was probably going to be unexciting but McLean, Millar, Muirhead and McGinty! Thankfully, I have my hands in my pockets in regard to MCT as I would be deflated thinking I was contributing to the wages of this lot.

Archived