Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 34 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

14 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Well, I'm not a Twitter user, so I haven't seen it. It's nothing at all to do with me.

I did, however, see his red card, and to me, that stinks more than whatever shocking abuse we're all supposed to put our big frowny-faces on for.

In the world of football, emotions sometimes get the better of people. Case in point here.

Stupid, yes, but it doesnt warrant the abuse he receives IMO. In any case, hes been a target long before the abuse.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

In the world of football, emotions sometimes get the better of people. Case in point here.

Stupid, yes, but it doesnt warrant the abuse he receives IMO. In any case, hes been a target long before the abuse.

Because he's not that good, with a bad attitude, inconsistent performances, a now-very questionable disciplinary record, hardly a goal in him even on the (admittedly rare) occasions he plays as a number 9, and an air of thinking he's too good for the circumstances in which he finds himself.

Hopkin is defending his players and not airing dirty laundry in public. That's fine. I assume he wasn't happy about the red card in private and that he made that clear, without slating Muirhead to the press. Also fine. However, he's now decided to make this about "personal abuse" from fans. This, to me, is not fine. I've not seen any, and I'm unlikely to be that bothered if I do. Unless it's truly beyond the pale then it's just part of being a footballer.

Anyway, I've said my piece about him so I'll leave it at that until his next performance, which I will judge on its merits.

EOho8Pw.png

How do you know he has a bad attitude? One thing about Hoppy, he doesn't sign players that aren't willing to run through brick walls for him or swagger about with shit attitudes at least.

Perhaps ability wise he might not be the best, but can't say I've noticed his 'bad attitude'. In fact, you don't actually know that either.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

15 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

How do you know he had a bad attitude? One thing about Hoppy, he doesn't sign players that aren't willing to run through brick walls for him or swagger about with shit attitudes at least.

Perhaps ability wise he might not be the best, but can't say I've noticed his 'bad attitude'. In fact, you don't actually know that either.

Hoppy certainly does prize energy and enthusiasm and commitment as important, and the players he signs often demonstrate those qualities.

However, I regard 'ability to run about on the pitch' as pretty much the bare minimum for an SPFL full-timer. If you can't do it, you'd better be either a rare talent, or looking forward to your big move to Caledonian Braves.

Playing the big man with a referee then trotting off for an early shower is indicative of nothing but a bad attitude. If you're going to get a daft sending-off, I'd rather see it as a moment of madness, rather than an extended wee tantrum, which is what Saturday's was.

In other words, I'm not going to award the guy the George Cross for breaking into a sprint when that's literally the basics of his job description. I will, however, judge him based on his discipline and performances when lined up against the rest of the guys who put in a similar level of effort. And he's been found wanting on both of those attributes.

In his defense, he's been played in several positions, and it can be hard to get into a groove in such situations. The curse of the utility man. So I'm not saying he's played five games up top and can't score. On the other hand, he's not the only one to have been played all over the park.

8 minutes ago, Deego said:

Haven't read Hopkin's update (tl;dr) but I agree with ToM on this one. He's not my favourite player ever but I cringe when I read things about him on Twitter.

Then perhaps he and Hoppy should consider the 'block' function, rather than writing wee snide essays about the big bad Morton fans.

Or do as I do and just not use things like Twitter.

edit: I will also say in the sake of fairness that this is generally a likeable group of players at Cappielow. The bad old McInally days are gone and not coming back. People seem to work hard, people seem to pull in the same direction, and Hopkin/his management team do deserve credit for that.

EOho8Pw.png

8 minutes ago, Deego said:

Haven't read Hopkin's update (tl;dr) but I agree with ToM on this one. He's not my favourite player ever but I cringe when I read things about him on Twitter.

6 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Hoppy certainly does prize energy and enthusiasm and commitment as important, and the players he signs often demonstrate those qualities.

However, I regard 'ability to run about on the pitch' as pretty much the bare minimum for an SPFL full-timer. If you can't do it, you'd better be either a rare talent, or looking forward to your big move to Caledonian Braves.

Playing the big man with a referee then trotting off for an early shower is indicative of nothing but a bad attitude. If you're going to get a daft sending-off, I'd rather see it as a moment of madness, rather than an extended wee tantrum, which is what Saturday's was.

In other words, I'm not going to award the guy the George Cross for breaking into a sprint when that's literally the basics of his job description. I will, however, judge him based on his discipline and performances when lined up against the rest of the guys who put in a similar level of effort. And he's been found wanting on both of those attributes.

In his defense, he's been played in several positions, and it can be hard to get into a groove in such situations. The curse of the utility man. So I'm not saying he's played five games up top and can't score. On the other hand, he's not the only one to have been played all over the park.

Then perhaps he and Hoppy should consider the 'block' function, rather than writing wee snide essays about the big bad Morton fans.

I feel this is pretty unjustified, but hey ho! Agree to disagree..

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Yep, I think we've both made our positions clear. Not a huge deal, agree to disagree. And if Muirhead comes back in the side and starts playing well, I'll be delighted for him and for the club.

EOho8Pw.png

I was looking forward to finding out how the club could manage to make things the big bad Morton fans fault when none of us are even allowed in the fucking ground, but I see we've made it there after two league games. Sterling work.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 hours ago, TRVMP said:

edit: I will also say in the sake of fairness that this is generally a likeable group of players at Cappielow. The bad old McInally days are gone and not coming back. People seem to work hard, people seem to pull in the same direction, and Hopkin/his management team do deserve credit for that.

So ruddy bloody brave!

Im not going through folks twitter at half 11 on a Friday, or any time for that mater, to prove a point. Most folk i deleted last week for being strange people.

Expect the usual "yer no willin tae back it up" but you've had it from myself and the good balde man Deego. It is/was there and was over the top and cringe to say the least.

Its clear im in a minority here. Back to the tennents. Enjoy your night fellas!

TIME FOR CHANGE!

On 10/30/2020 at 8:40 PM, dunning1874 said:

I was looking forward to finding out how the club could manage to make things the big bad Morton fans fault when none of us are even allowed in the fucking ground, but I see we've made it there after two league games. Sterling work.

It’s not the “fans” they were talking about!

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Given how it’s went for him since leaving, I don’t think so.

Livi would bite your hand off to have Hoppy back IMO, considering what he achieved for them during his time there.

Whether he would be interested in returning is another matter though. Personally, I don't think he would be interested at this time, but who knows.

3 minutes ago, JLTON said:

Livi would bite your hand off to have Hoppy back IMO, considering what he achieved for them during his time there.

Whether he would be interested in returning is another matter though. Personally, I don't think he would be interested at this time, but who knows.

Results since though show it went well beyond Hopkin. They can attract a better calibre of manager, though it does have to be someone willing to slot into their weird setup with Martindale. 

7 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Results since though show it went well beyond Hopkin. They can attract a better calibre of manager, though it does have to be someone willing to slot into their weird setup with Martindale. 

His time at Bradford was a disaster granted, but those results don't show that managing in the SPL with Livi went well beyond Hopkin at all. 

There's no way of knowing how he would have faired and as you say the setup seemed to work fine, in terms of bringing about success anyway.

Archived