Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 31 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Mafoumbi joined Blackpool in July 2017, Timmins was there from July 2016 until he joined us in June 2019 (bar a couple of months where he left to be a failed manager in Sweden). 

I hadn't realised until the other week that Timmins and McAlister were at Blackpool together as well.

2 hours ago, Madton said:

Presumably Chris Wylie is a Dev loan and will be on the bench on Tues?

Hopefully Hopkin will still be working on a keeper. The ex Blackpool boy sounded like a good option.

I agree about Mafoumbi. Sounds a bit of a comedy character but playing around 30 international games has to bring some fairly decent experience if anything, regardless if it's for the Congo or not. 

I'm honestly more impressed by his English league experience. Half of these African countries are dreadful and getting capped by them is as easy as either living there, being within touching distance of Charles de Gaulle airport, or just showing up. Republic of the Congo have qualified for 2 AFCONs since 2000, inclusive (that's 2 out of 11).

That said, they seem very likely to qualify for the next one, since in their group of four there's one very strong team, Senegal, and two utter comedy outfits, eSwatini and Guinea-Bissau. This would be the rough equivalent of Scotland ending up in a Euro qualifying group with France, Latvia, and Malta. (We'd probably fuck that up, but the RoC probably won't fuck up theirs.) And that means he'll be away in Cameroon for a month or so in the middle of our season. I'm all for having a bit of international flair about the place but let's say he turns out to be our undisputed first choice. We're then paying his wages for him to miss around a seventh of the season.

If he turns out to be really, really good then obviously I hope we sign him regardless, but this is a huge risk in my view.

edit: and they have two qualifiers coming up in November, meaning he'd be off a couple of weeks from now. Not sure what quarantine is like in the UK right now but presumably that's a factor too.

EOho8Pw.png

4 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

The transfer window closes tomorrow. Are we expecting any further movement in or out? Or is the loan window more important to us now?

Would expect more movement, but nothing that is affected by the closing of the transfer window (unless we can convince some of the dead wood Hopkin inexplicably gave a new contract to to do one).

Here's the Congo (yellow) losing 2-0 to Senegal (white) in the qualifiers:

No shame in losing, of course. Senegal are Africa's strongest team at the moment.

There are also highlights of their 3-0 win over "Guinea-Bissau" but as the 'keeper doesn't feature in them I didn't include them here.

EOho8Pw.png

12 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I'm honestly more impressed by his English league experience. Half of these African countries are dreadful and getting capped by them is as easy as either living there, being within touching distance of Charles de Gaulle airport, or just showing up. Republic of the Congo have qualified for 2 AFCONs since 2000, inclusive (that's 2 out of 11).

That said, they seem very likely to qualify for the next one, since in their group of four there's one very strong team, Senegal, and two utter comedy outfits, eSwatini and Guinea-Bissau. This would be the rough equivalent of Scotland ending up in a Euro qualifying group with France, Latvia, and Malta. (We'd probably fuck that up, but the RoC probably won't fuck up theirs.) And that means he'll be away in Cameroon for a month or so in the middle of our season. I'm all for having a bit of international flair about the place but let's say he turns out to be our undisputed first choice. We're then paying his wages for him to miss around a seventh of the season.

If he turns out to be really, really good then obviously I hope we sign him regardless, but this is a huge risk in my view.

edit: and they have two qualifiers coming up in November, meaning he'd be off a couple of weeks from now. Not sure what quarantine is like in the UK right now but presumably that's a factor too.

I love the AFCON. Their decision to move from odd years to even years not leading to a three year break but instead resulting in three tournaments in four years was tremendous.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If Hopkin sees an inexperienced goalkeeper like McAdams as first choice, then it makes a certain sense to bring in an experienced backup to provide support and a decent level of cover. 

I don't particularly rate Hutton, and I don't know if he'd be the right choice, but I could see the logic in a move like that. 

8 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

I love the AFCON. Their decision to move from odd years to even years not leading to a three year break but instead resulting in three tournaments in four years was tremendous.

I too love the AFCON, it's a superb tournament - right up there with the "OFC Championship".

There's also a secondaary tournament called the African Nations Championship. That's the AFCON but purely for domestic players - so all 23 guys in the Equatorial Guinea squad will play for Equatoguinean clubs. In a rare example of counter-globalized forces in football, this tournament does actually attract a lot of local interest. Probably a good 25,000 watched the 2016 final in Rwanda between DRC and Mali. The vast majority, of course, would be locals, or just across the border in the DRC itself:

I respect the fact that CAF organizes so many tournaments and does so with only limited regard for the global football calendar. It's their continent and they can do what they want. However, it does mean that we need to be careful when signing players who want to represent their country.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived