Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 28 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to assume we’re going with a 3-5-2 this season and using McAlister as a centre back? Even if we bring in another one of the CBs we’ve had on trial, we’ve got no cover for Strapp, nobody to compete with McAdams, no left back, a selection of pretty immobile CBs and a bunch of forwards - none of which has ever really scored goals at this level. There’s no budget to fill the rest or those gaps.

McPake we might’ve just taken because someone else is covering his wages.

Even though I've not heard of 3/4 of them I've missed the excitement of a multiple transfer signing day. We're gonna win the league. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I notice the article has a bit at the bottom with a quote from a club spokesman. It's our own article why are we using anonymous sources 😂

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

15 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

...Can any of them play RB?

Ledger seemingly played both right back and centre back in his brief time at Queens. Whether this actually constitutes 'being able to play right back' as opposed to 'being stuck there as a last resort with no one else available and floundering' in the manner of Stephen Welsh and Kyle Jacobs remains to be seen.

If the plan is a back four with Ledger at right back then we're still extremely short on numbers in defence with the prospect of Jacobs at full back whenever Strapp or Ledger are out, which isn't an acceptable position to be in. If it's a back three then we don't look as short with McAlister being a credible centre back option in a three in a way he isn't in a two, but that still leaves a question mark over who the right wing back would be - hope to get away with Salkeld there defensively?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

31 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I'd imagine that's how he sees Salkeld in this squad.

Meaning something like:

McAdams

Ledger - Fjortoft - McAlister

Salkeld - Colville - Jacobs - Strapp

Nesbitt

Oliver - MacIver

I don't hate that, although that's two unknown quantities in defence and a question mark over where goals come from. I suppose you could also set the front three up as an even more attacking 3-4-3 rather than 3-4-1-2 to indulge Hopkin's love of wingers.

There's obviously a problem with how we keep all the attacking players happy but we can't do that in any system when we have about 27 of them. This leaves all of McPake, Wallace, Omar, Lyon, McGuffie, Orsi and Muirhead out of the team.

There's also the possibility Hopkin would want another body in the middle rather than being so attacking, whether that's McAlister with McGinty/McLean starting at the back or Lyon/Omar slotting into the centre which would put the out and out forwards even further from a start.

All the 5-4 games will be a hoot.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

7 minutes ago, so72 said:

If we play 3 at the back, I imagine the two wide men will be more defensive? If so what do we do with McPake, McGuffie, Nesbitt, MacIver and Salkeld? Maybe McGuffie or Salkeld at RWB?

Salkeld played there against Dumbarton.

Possibly  more defensive signings to come or what's the point on still having trialists?

KR_MENSAH_EXCLUSIVE1jpg-JS610551382.jpg

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6045946/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-latest-scottish-premiership/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#liveblog-entry-338876

Archived