Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 23 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

The window for loans does remain open until the end of October but yeah, we need to move fast and don't want to be depending on loans being available after the season starts. Particularly with the defence, we can't afford them needing time to gel after the league starts with a shortened season, and there's no guarantee more loanees will be available later on.

Premiership clubs are far enough into their seasons that they already know which fringe players aren't going to get games, which is why the likes of Duffy and Baird are being moved on now. Holding out for more players to become available would be a hugely risk strategy.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

The window for loans does remain open until the end of October but yeah, we need to move fast and don't want to be depending on loans being available after the season starts. Particularly with the defence, we can't afford them needing time to gel after the league starts with a shortened season, and there's no guarantee more loanees will be available later on.

Premiership clubs are far enough into their seasons that they already know which fringe players aren't going to get games, which is why the likes of Duffy and Baird are being moved on now. Holding out for more players to become available would be a hugely risk strategy.

Exactly this. Hopkin mentioned Goodwin telling him Baird wouldn’t be available earlier on before changing that view. Obviously realising that he had his bases covered and Baird would therefore be surplus to requirement. As you say, we are far enough in now that teams will know which players are definitely not in their plans and playing some form of waiting game until mid October would be madness.

15 minutes ago, Doddie said:

Signings incoming then 

Yep, I'm encouraged to see so many being put out on loan instead of claiming that they 'can do a job' for us this season. Demonstrate that at a lower level first and then you can break into the first team squad. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

They've obviously had enough of a look at these guys over three weeks of training with the first team to decide they just aren't up to Championship football yet.

On one hand you do then have to question why the older players in that group were given new contracts in the circumstances. McKinnon said that some of them were signed up specifically with the intention of putting them out on loan to continue their development but others were clearly signed to contribute to the first team immediately, so if the manager wasn't already confident they could do that they probably shouldn't have got contracts in the first place. However it's a good thing that they've made this call now based on what they've seen in training rather than hoping for the best, launching them into first team football then having to scramble around for replacements after the season starts.

It is a concern that Wylie's one of the players to go though, although it's obviously the right thing to do if they're concerned he wouldn't cope. Two first team wages now needing to be spent on goalkeepers rather than one in addition to the other signings we already need makes you wonder if this will actually allow the budget to stretch to all the other additions we need.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Realistically, how much are these guys making, and how much are greyed-out teams like Greenock and St. Cadoc's going to be paying of that? From a sporting perspective these are good moves, get the guys who aren't ready for the Championship some first team footbal, but from a squad perspective I doubt we're saving much and we're almost certainly going into the season with the bare bones.

EOho8Pw.png

2 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Realistically, how much are these guys making, and how much are greyed-out teams like Greenock and St. Cadoc's going to be paying of that? From a sporting perspective these are good moves, get the guys who aren't ready for the Championship some first team footbal, but from a squad perspective I doubt we're saving much and we're almost certainly going into the season with the bare bones.

That's the concern. Total guesswork here, but as an example say we're paying first teamers around £300 a week and we're saving £100 each on Wylie, Hynes, McGrattan & Easdale going out on loan (I'd assume having a portion of the rest of the loanees wages covered was already incorporated into the budget as McKinnon explicitly said they were always planned to be loaned out). If figures like that are involved here, needing to bring two goalkeepers in now rather than one means we're more than wiping out our saving there if they'd both be looking for around that £300 figure, so it wouldn't help us address our shortages elsewhere in the park.

Obviously this is guesswork and possibly we can get some cheaper loan deals ourselves.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

No harm at all to the boy, but Hynes evidently isn’t going to be a RB for us. He’s 21 and he’s away to that level. There’s obviously a reason he hasn’t had a look in from our last 3 managers outside of cup games.

Yeah, absolutely no idea why he was given a new deal. 

Hynes is definitely a strange one. He's about two years older than Lewis Strapp, but can count his first team appearances (under three different managers) on one hand. I know some guys are late developers, but if three successive managers have overlooked you, there's definitely something wrong. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

We'll end up winging it with one goalkeeper + an emergency loan if injured IMO. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

We'll end up winging it with one goalkeeper + an emergency loan if injured IMO. 

Looking forward to the game with Muirhead in goal after the goalkeeper gets sent off in the third minute.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 hours ago, EdinTon said:

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall of Hopkin and MacKinnon's squad planning meetings ahead of the season.

It's not like Hoppy's had months of sitting on his arse on furlough to not even give it a little think...

I didn’t give my work a 2nd thought when I was furloughed.

19 hours ago, TRVMP said:

But Greenock? The Port, Dirty Wee? The idea that anyone at Greenock is on 100 a week is literally unbelievable to me, but maybe I'm ill-informed. I doubt Gretna and Johnstone are paying much either.

Aye, I was purely plucking figures out my head to illustrate - in reality I'd imagine only BSC and St Cadoc's would be paying sums like that.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived