Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 21 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

If we're going to end up short in one area we have a choice:

Sign a centre forward who can realistically hit 10 goals or thereabouts in a 27 game season, hope we can muddle through with our current centre backs who will see us ship at least two goals a game by winning 3-2 or 4-3 every so often

Sign a solid centre back or two who can make us a better defensive unit and give us a realistic prospect of keeping some clean sheets, hope we can muddle through with our current forwards despite knowing none of them will manage double figures by winning 1-0 or 2-1 every so often

Neither is an acceptable position to end up in so if loans can't magically fix this and we have to choose one or the other then it's down to mismanagement of our resources in building an imbalanced squad two years running. However, the latter option is clearly a more credible route to survival. If you have a competent defence you can grind out points despite a lack of goals. If you concede 60 in a 27 game season you're going down.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

If we're going to end up short in one area we have a choice:

Sign a centre forward who can realistically hit 10 goals or thereabouts in a 27 game season, hope we can muddle through with our current centre backs who will see us ship at least two goals a game by winning 3-2 or 4-3 every so often

Sign a solid centre back or two who can make us a better defensive unit and give us a realistic prospect of keeping some clean sheets, hope we can muddle through with our current forwards despite knowing none of them will manage double figures by winning 1-0 or 2-1 every so often

Neither is an acceptable position to end up in so if loans can't magically fix this and we have to choose one or the other then it's down to mismanagement of our resources in building an imbalanced squad two years running. However, the latter option is clearly a more credible route to survival. If you have a competent defence you can grind out points despite a lack of goals. If you concede 60 in a 27 game season you're going down.

Even the 13/14 team only conceded 70 in an entire season (so only 60 after 35 games) so your comparison point here is completely ridiculous. You also simply don't get to win games 2-1 more than once a season when your most prolific forward in the entire squad is expected to yield, erm, three goals over a 27 game campaign from his previous exploits. We are hardly shitting goals from the current midfield options either so the absence of a real centre forward is in fact a key failing in this particular squad that has to be resolved. 

And let's not forget that you aren't even wanting just one centre back but rather another two: which means that we'd be compromising on finding a proper right back and a goalkeeper as well just to fund your obsession with upgrading dung centre back options to half decent ones.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

41 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I’d take him back. I don’t rate him as highly as others seem to but he’s better than what we’ve got and probably about as good as we’re going to recruit at the minute. 

Bit grim.

Aye, we know what we’re getting with him. Franco Baresi he ain’t, but he’s certainly an upgrade on what we currently have.

Sadly I suspect that EdinTon is right and he’ll be headed to an inferior club with deeper pockets.

Aye would be happy to take him back, Better than what we have, knows the players, how the manager works etc.

Will no doubt have a couple of offers but he seemed to like it here and I would imagine Hopkin will be speaking to him.

He is a Championship level defender, so you'd think he will have at least a couple of offers at this level, but as mentioned there is a chance he will end up with a fatter pay packet at one of the League One clubs.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

8 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

He wasn't exactly going to say anything different though, was he?

In fairness he gives concrete examples, rather than just saying "aye, good wee player, hope he does well." Maybe he'll work out and maybe he won't, but it sounds like he has the right attributes.

That said, let's knock this "knows where the net is" thing on the head. He scores in like 1 game out of 10, according to the stats.

Edit: OK, one game out of 7. Still, not exactly the next Gerd Muller.

EOho8Pw.png

10 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I (think) that’s Simon Murray.

Fair enough. Didn't pay attention to the silhouette and didn't realise they were signing him.

Not to mention the fact that McKinnon has never worked with Baird so would be nowhere near his limited radar.

20 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Murray will be a good signing at League One level. Did alright in the PSL (South Africa) for Wits.

League Two*. The only way Raymond knows how to take a team into League One is through the arse end of the Championship.

Good point. I forgot that Raymond inherited a club then 7th in League Two, and took them to the dizzy heights of 5th in League Two.

He only made the seven signings in the January window, so you can't blame him for not getting them to the hypothetical play-offs.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived