Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 20 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

I obviously haven't heard of him because what is a Sittingbourne, but if he's another midfielder it doesn't make sense. We already have Jacobs, McAlister, Millar and Blues as more defensive options, then Colville and Lyon as well as about seven players who can play as a number 10 or winger.

While there's a debate to be had about whether some of those players are good enough, we're spending a wage on them and we have to make do with what we have there when we already have 16 players signed (21 if you include the retained youngsters) and need a goalkeeper and a minimum of three defenders, with a centre forward also being a bigger priority than more midfielders.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we're trialing a guy who was released from a club that finished in the bottom half of the English 8th tier. Atl east we're trialing him and not signing him.

Previously he made two (2) appearances at tier 5 level for Brain Tree.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Really struggling to see anything other than relegation this season. Pish CB’s and still require a goal scorer up front who we most likely won’t be able to afford. 

Still quite some time before our first game and there are plenty of other teams filled with dross in our league. If we are in the same situation squad wise a month from now then aye, we can prepare for the worst but plenty of time yet.

Yeah, if we start the season with this squad then we'll be absolute certainties to finish bottom, but there's no way we're not adding at least a goalkeeper and right back with hopefully a couple of centre backs coming in as well.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

There's no way that we're adding four more players to the back line and even if we did then we'd still be scoring about 15 goals all season. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

46 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

There's no way that we're adding four more players to the back line and even if we did then we'd still be scoring about 15 goals all season. 

We'll be getting relegated, then. We obviously have to sign a right back and goalkeeper but that then only gives us our starting back four of a new right back, Strapp, McGinty and McLean with no cover other than Hynes. Even after those two signings, a defence that's going to leak at least two goals a game with those centre backs will still be a bigger issue to address than the obvious lack of goals in the team.

If we can't afford to make those signings, then we have to ask why the budget was spent on giving Millar & Muirhead new contracts and signing Omar & Oliver when we already had plenty of players like them. Unless of course Hopkin is actually planning to use Omar as a full back...

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Hoping a keeper, RB and a CB comes in sooner rather than later. A big problem last season was the defence was all over the shop as it was practically a brand new back 4/5 and it took a few months to settle down resulting in a few absolute pumpings.

You'd like to think at least 3 new players will come in and be certain starters and we don't have the luxury of a full Betfred cup campaign to gel before the league starts so we really need to get them in soon to give them time to  work on shape, get to know each other etc etc.

Presumably we will hear about friendlies soon too, hopefully  3 or 4 lined up before the 1st cup game.

45 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

We'll be getting relegated, then. We obviously have to sign a right back and goalkeeper but that then only gives us our starting back four of a new right back, Strapp, McGinty and McLean with no cover other than Hynes. Even after those two signings, a defence that's going to leak at least two goals a game with those centre backs will still be a bigger issue to address than the obvious lack of goals in the team.

If we can't afford to make those signings, then we have to ask why the budget was spent on giving Millar & Muirhead new contracts and signing Omar & Oliver when we already had plenty of players like them. Unless of course Hopkin is actually planning to use Omar as a full back...

Or Salkeld.

3 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

We'll be getting relegated, then. We obviously have to sign a right back and goalkeeper but that then only gives us our starting back four of a new right back, Strapp, McGinty and McLean with no cover other than Hynes. 

McAlister has played centre back, Jacobs right back as well. While you don't rate our current centre backs - and rightly so because they're dung - we neither will nor should spend what's left of the budget on signing another two. There is no need for four first team centre backs for a 27 game campaign.

A first choice goalkeeper, right back and an actual centre forward have to be the top priorities and only after that could we even consider adding one more defender.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

33 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

McAlister has played centre back, Jacobs right back as well. While you don't rate our current centre backs - and rightly so because they're dung - we neither will nor should spend what's left of the budget on signing another two. There is no need for four first team centre backs for a 27 game campaign.

A first choice goalkeeper, right back and an actual centre forward have to be the top priorities and only after that could we even consider adding one more defender.  

I thought some of McAlister’s better performances were when he played at CB. Would actually quite like to see him get a run of games there.

10 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

There also shouldn't be any need for more attacking options for a 27 game campaign when we already have Oliver, Orsi, Salkeld and Muirhead at the club, with wages also being spent on another two forwards in Rodgers and Easdale, not to mention the five other wingers and attacking midfielders, but here we are.

We want another centre forward because although we've managed to build a squad with six players who can play at centre forward, most of them aren't actually an out and out striker with the couple who arguably are being shite and an untried youngster respectively.

That being the case, if you're boiling it down to numbers alone there's considerably more justification for adding more centre backs than centre forwards when we have three players who have played at centre back and six who have played at centre forward.

Of those three two are complete dross, and the other in McAlister has probably been the best centre back we've had in the last two years but has only looked competent in a back three rather than two. He's also part of our strongest midfield so using him as cover in defence weakens us elsewhere in the park as well, the same as moving Jacobs to right back.

I absolutely agree that we need a better centre forward, but it's only the fourth biggest problem we have with 21 players already signed. If we can only sign four more rather than the five we need to have an acceptable squad then it's arguable to pass on a second centre back in favour of a centre forward, but if we can only add three and have to choose between one centre back or one centre forward then we'll end up lacking in quality up front or in both quality and depth in defence, and it will mean the club have got their recruitment to date horribly wrong.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

12 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

There also shouldn't be any need for more attacking options for a 27 game campaign when we already have Oliver, Orsi, Salkeld and Muirhead at the club, with wages also being spent on another two forwards in Rodgers and Easdale, not to mention the five other wingers and attacking midfielders, but here we are.

We want another centre forward because although we've managed to build a squad with six players who can play at centre forward, most of them aren't actually an out and out striker with the couple who arguably are being shite and an untried youngster respectively.

That being the case, if you're boiling it down to numbers alone there's considerably more justification for adding more centre backs than centre forwards when we have three players who have played at centre back and six who have played at centre forward.

None of the above players are credible centre forwards as their historic goals figure shows. If we do not have a centre forward capable of getting double figures (from 27 games) then we have no chance. It is not a question of existing squad numbers as much as priority: the three first team positions that still need filled are goalkeeper, right back and centre forward respectively. Two more central defenders will achieve nothing other than bringing our negative goal difference down without those positions being filled. 

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

None of the above players are credible centre forwards as their historic goals figure shows. If we do not have a centre forward capable of getting double figures (from 27 games) then we have no chance. It is not a question of existing squad numbers as much as priority: the three first team positions that still need filled are goalkeeper, right back and centre forward respectively. Two more central defenders will achieve nothing other than bringing our negative goal difference down without those positions being filled. 

We never had anyone with 10 league goals last season and did ok in the end. Mchugh finished on 8.

For me, we need both. A quality CB to come in and be a starter straight away with Mcginty/Mclean/Jim fighting it out for the other starting place and a striker to hopefully come in and score at least double figures. Would agree that a top striker is a must and its something we have lacked at this level since Denny Johnstone 5 years ago. Worry for me is that we will struggle to attract someone who can come in and score 10-15 goals this season. Maybe Orsi or Muirhead will shock us or we will need to get very lucky and find a gem from somewhere. 

14 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Conversely, adding a centre forward who manages double figures will achieve nothing but bringing the negative goal difference down if we're conceding two goals a game due to having a hopeless defence. We have no credible centre backs at the club.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

11 hours ago, Madton said:

For me, we need both. 

Oh gee, thanks for that Captain Obvious but given that we still need to sign a starting goalkeeper, right back and are currently rummaging around the English eighth tier for 'hidden gems' (cheap ringers) it's quite clear that we're not going to get both. Or if we do, we're just going to leave another area of the first team even more woefully short of the required quality. 

15 hours ago, EdinTon said:

"a clean sheet is worth just over two goals scored in terms of points across the course of a season" The Numbers Game

If your team is good for 50 goals scored and 50 conceded over a regular season, perhaps. If it is only good for 30 goals scored though then no, you actually need to solve that problem instead of thinking that just one more centre back will turn you into the early 90s Milan side. 

An absurd generalisation from an absurd book then. 

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

Conversely, adding a centre forward who manages double figures will achieve nothing but bringing the negative goal difference down if we're conceding two goals a game due to having a hopeless defence. 

No, it'll actually get us points from drawing 2-2 or winning 3-2, as happened more often than not with the genuine attacking threat that we posed throughout last season. 'Morton nil' is not going to have the same outcome as soon as the opposition takes the lead from a set piece, a worldy goal or just a bog-standard mistake.

It will also be absolutely fucking tedious to watch and if the club thinks that firing long balls at Robbie Muirhead all season is going to become a streaming hit or get fans back through the gate in their droves then they're sorely mistaken.

Archived