Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 14 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we thought the big launch of the home kit was underwhelming, imagine showing a new kit without even mentioning it.

Having to bear Millar, Muirhead and McGinty again is poor patter. Throw in the infuriating Oliver although he is obviously more reliable than some of the bargain bin rejects we will no doubt pick up.

A Dutch ringer. Well, that's a new one. Can't wait for the thunderous roar from him after he wins his first tackle.

The loan market is going to be stretched especially thin this season, with A) clubs being able to sign more loan players and B ) 5 subs being allowed in the top flight. I think B in particular makes it more unlikely that you'll see clubs loan out players such as Baird or Kiltie who were on the fringes of their first team.

I get there's an argument to be made that the circumstances mean we don't want to be forced into a huge overhaul in any one position, ie we don't want to be trying to sign a whole new defence, but if anything the restricted budget makes it all the more imperative that we don't carry any deadwood. With that in mind, giving contracts to McGinty, Millar and Muirhead is insane. We cannot afford to be carrying a finished 37 year old and two complete duds.

In normal circumstances I'd definitely have been releasing McLean as well, but I could at least see the argument for keeping him as cover this summer if you want to keep one of him and McGinty to avoid needing to recruit three or four centre backs. He's not good enough but is passable in scenarios where we're camped 18 yards out and he just has to head it clear; being competent at that one aspect of the game makes him the superior option to McGinty. Keeping them both though means we're going to have at least one of them starting regularly, which is just crazy.

On the bright side, McAlister and Nesbitt staying is very good news. Nesbitt going really didn't bear thinking about and hopefully he can step up to the expectation of being the main creative force with Cadden away.

Oliver, meh. I know nothing about Omar. As the youth teams are being mothballed for at least a season, I assume Hynes, McGrattan and Rodgers are all intended to be a genuine part of the first team as cover.

If that's the case we're probably only a goalkeeper and a couple of defenders away from a finalised squad, but hopefully loan deals will remain an option to add some quality within the budget.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

15 minutes ago, Hej said:

The loan market is going to be stretched especially thin this season, with A) clubs being able to sign more loan players and B ) 5 subs being allowed in the top flight. I think B in particular makes it more unlikely that you'll see clubs loan out players such as Baird or Kiltie who were on the fringes of their first team.

So you're saying it's 2013 again. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Going on a couple of Elgin fan’s comments and other League 2 losers Omar appears a bit of a hothead, and they’re surprised to see him make as much of a jump up. 

Should be a laugh.

Equivalent to last season's Calvin Orsi and he had a huge impact. .......... hold on Ill get ma coat 

So we now have:

Goalkeepers

Wylie

Defenders

Strapp

McLean

McGinty

Hynes

Midfielders

Jacobs

McAlister

Lyon

Colville

Millar

Blues

McGuffie

Nesbitt

Omar

McGrattan

Forwards

Orsi

Oliver

Salkeld

Muirhead

Rodgers

Easdale

Obviously you can speculate about where the likes of Muirhead or Salkeld will primarily be used and how frequently they intend to use the youngsters, but that must be us done in midfield. With that many options at centre forward I wouldn't be surprised if we're done there as well, even though there's not a real out and out striker in that list. I think we're looking at a first choice goalkeeper ahead of Wylie, a first choice right back ahead of Hynes, and hopefully for the love of Wake another two centre backs. We need a better centre forward for first choice but I doubt we'll get one.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

McLean missed a couple of months through injury last season, as well as having too come off injured on another couple of separate occasions. He has been injury prone for a few years and will turn 36 this season. I'm not sure anything there suggests that he's credible back up (and his performances certainly didn't).

Jacobs can technically cover right-back and McAlister centre-back as well; I think we'll be getting a goalkeeper, right back and one centre back if any more at all. Anything else would probably boil down to a favourable loan deal (as indeed could be the case for those three positions). 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Delighted with Nesbitt, was convinced we were losing him. Happy for Jim to stay on too. 

Always liked Oliver, when he was on form, he was very good. He won't get us 15 goals though. 

Surprised at some names on that retain list but at least it keeps most of the squad together and gives us a bit of continuity. (trying to stay positive with most of them) 

Hopkin does infuriate me though looking at the midfield. Our budget will be tight as we will no doubt hear every week from now on yet we have 4 players who effectively do the same job in Jacobs, Millar, McAlister and Blues. How much game time will Blues and Millar actually see? Could have easily utilised their wages elsewhere and be no worse off. Lyon can also play that deeper position if Jim/Jacobs were out. 

Centre back, keeper, right back and maybe another striker and that will be us i think. 

Imo, hopkin has been far too loyal to 4/5 members of that squad. Surely we could do better without stretching the budget. 

Big few weeks ahead. 

Archived