Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Tumilty was vastly improved after his loan spell at Dumbarton. He was especially confident getting forward, but I'm still not convinced he has any idea (or the relevant level of focus) to mark/track back at the back post. I also wouldn't have been sure about offering him a two year deal. 

I'm on the fence about it. It might work out well for him and look bad for us, but if he loses confidence going forward and continues to be plagued with lapses at the back then I don't think we'll be too worried about not having him tied to a two year deal. 

The actual worry, as usual, is that any replacement we find will be worse. Especially considering that we seem rather inactive in the market at the moment. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, irnbru said:

That's my biggest concern. There's potentially a two year transition and MCT said quite clearly that they'll be taking over a debt free club and any debt from this season or next wouldn't their responsibility. 

It wasn't really acknowledged that this also means that the current owners main aim will be to cut things back as far as possible to make sure they aren't losing any more money. My worry is it could potentially leave MCT starting from a division or two below with the initial direct debit subscription agreements having run out and limited funds to do anything about it. 

It would be good to get some more clarity about what's in store in the transition period. 

Tumilty signs for Raith and you have us headed for League Two. That seems a bit on the pessimistic side when it comes to reactions. 

2 minutes ago, irnbru said:

That's my biggest concern. There's potentially a two year transition and MCT said quite clearly that they'll be taking over a debt free club and any debt from this season or next wouldn't their responsibility. 

It wasn't really acknowledged that this also means that the current owners main aim will be to cut things back as far as possible to make sure they aren't losing any more money. My worry is it could potentially leave MCT starting from a division or two below with the initial direct debit subscription agreements having run out and limited funds to do anything about it. 

It would be good to get some more clarity about what's in store in the transition period. 

As the chief executive has pointed out from time to time, his remit since May 2019 has already been to run GMFC on a break-even basis. Nothing has therefore changed and there is no reason to 'cut things back' with a change of ownership except to account for the financial impact of the pandemic. Which any responsibly run football club ought to be doing anyway right now.

I'm really not sure what alternate universe people seem to be envisaging in which GC would have been hanging around looking for a buyer but would decide just before a general economic slump that they're going to push the boat out a bit for the sake of propping up this football club. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Tumilty was vastly improved after his loan spell at Dumbarton. He was especially confident getting forward, but I'm still not convinced he has any idea (or the relevant level of focus) to mark/track back at the back post. I also wouldn't have been sure about offering him a two year deal. 

I'm on the fence about it. It might work out well for him and look bad for us, but if he loses confidence going forward and continues to be plagued with lapses at the back then I don't think we'll be too worried about not having him tied to a two year deal. 

The actual worry, as usual, is that any replacement we find will be worse. Especially considering that we seem rather inactive in the market at the moment. 

The two year point is important as well, as I'd be extremely cautious of handing those out right now when there can be absolutely no assurance of how you're going to actually find the income to pay your wage bill. I can certainly understand Tumilty choosing that level of relative security at this level but that's a risk that I don't think that GMFC should be undertaking right now, takeover or no takeover.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

28 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I don't think that Crawford wants to leave the club the club in the seaside leagues as it would reflect badly on his father's legacy. Would he pay money out of his own pocket to stop that from happening? Of course not. But then again that would not happen anyway if there been no deal with MCT in place: the days of GC throwing money at the club - even with an eye to a future sale - were already gone. 

The club would have been operating on a break-even budget before and is still expected to operate on a break-even budget now. It's possible that we need to keep a much closer eye on the cashflow with an eye to handing things over but I don't see how else we are objectively worse off this season for having a takeover deal in place. 

That's fair, and I do think there's no need to panic just yet, but on the other hand the benefit of increased prize money sees clubs at least aim for survival, normally. I don't think that incentive exists at this moment in time. But again, I don't think we're headed for doomsday, we're not East Stirlingshire paying a tenner a week, not that kind of thing.

EOho8Pw.png

It's frustrating seeing other clubs signing players when we aren't but there seems to be a lot of knicker wetting about Tumilty leaving.

I would have had no concerns about keeping him on but despite a better end to the season he hasn't done nearly enough for us to match Raith's offer of a 2 year deal. I may be wrong but think he was based in the East anyway so it's no surprise he's away if that's the case.

Hopefully we hear some news about players over the next few days.

It's annoying that Tumilty is leaving but you can't begrudge him going for a two-year deal, and after he got sent out on loan last season you maybe got the impression Hoppy wasn't a fan. 

Definitely caught a bit in two minds at the moment. Fearing the worst because of how important this pre-season and season is in terms of recruitment and staying in the league with it being a shorter season, and with our probable competitors for league position getting deals done early for new signings and new deals to keep their squads together. 

But on the flip side, Hoppy will have a plan, right?

Tumilty is a decent, if erratic, full back who was punted out on loan to a lower division last season. There's little chance Hopkin would be offering a 2 year deal to a player like that, particularly as we have properly key positions like a goalkeeper, CBs and strikers still to find space in the budget for.

I get that the club's communications aren't helping but this isn't reason enough to panic.

What we're seeing here is the manifestation of two separate issues. Tumilty leaving is a blow; the guy is a capable full-back and, more crucially in my view, a known quantity in a season where continuity is even more important than normal. However the massive backlash from today has more to do with the lack of communication from the club. We found out that Ramsbottom had left the club from his Instagram story, McLean from the PFA released list, McHugh from the Tele (IIRC), and now we've found out about Tumilty's departure from Raith Rovers. That's not good enough. 

It would take, quite literally, 30 seconds, to compose a tweet saying 'X, Y and Z have decided to leave the club. We'd like to thank them for their service and we wish them all the best for the future'. That can't be blamed on staff being on furlough. MacKinnon, to his credit, is very timely in his replies to fans who get in touch with him, and these circumstances are far from normal. However, he needs to understand the importance of getting information to fans in an appropriate and timely manner, or he runs the risk of generating this type of reaction anytime a player joins another club. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

I don't regard timely responses to fans as a positive from MacKinnon. He's the fucking CEO of a multi-million pound organization, not a customer service agent. What is he doing all day other than refreshing his inbox? 

EOho8Pw.png

Fuck sake Morton. Get your finger out and start being more transparent with us (the paying fucking public). Losing tumilty to Raith is simply not good enough. 

If anyone on here is linked to the club in any way please share this with everyone. Its not fucking good enough. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

12 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Fuck sake Morton. Get your finger out and start being more transparent with us (the paying fucking public). Losing tumilty to Raith is simply not good enough. 

If anyone on here is linked to the club in any way please share this with everyone. Its not fucking good enough. 

It's the Bobby Barr situation. It may well be that declining to offer him a two-year deal is the right decision. 

EOho8Pw.png

Piss poor from us. Communication wise it’s been worse than usual, as if that could have been possible.

Losing a competent performer at this level to a rival isn’t good enough. We should be trying to keep as many of this group together so we aren’t a fucking rabble again at the beginning of the season.

Season tickets definitely won’t be flying out the door that’s for sure. Hopefully we manage to get some decent players in and don’t get dicked by other teams like we did early last season. Worried at the moment.

26 minutes ago, Tubes said:

Losing a competent performer at this level to a rival isn’t good enough. We should be trying to keep as many of this group together so we aren’t a fucking rabble again at the beginning of the season.

Would you have offered a two year deal to a lower-end Championship full back when the club doesn't even know if or when it's going to have fans coming through the turnstiles this season? If so then I'm just glad that we're not a fan-operated club right now; if not then all this braying about it being unacceptable to lose players is redundant. Matching the length of contract on the table is the only credible attempt that a club can make to keep a player and there is no fucking way that we should be risking the future of the club at this critical moment in that manner just to keep Rhegan fucking Tumilty for another two years. 

15 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Would you have offered a two year deal to a lower-end Championship full back when the club doesn't even know if or when it's going to have fans coming through the turnstiles this season? If so then I'm just glad that we're not a fan-operated club right now; if not then all this braying about it being unacceptable to lose players is redundant. Matching the length of contract on the table is the only credible attempt that a club can make to keep a player and there is no fucking way that we should be risking the future of the club at this critical moment in that manner just to keep Rhegan fucking Tumilty for another two years. 

absolutely spot on 

The problem is that we are only seeing players go in one direction at the moment. If we had some movement in the “players in” column then I reckon we would have a lot less worried fans out there (unless of course they were of the Ramsbottom quality). 

Tumilty was a bit of a hopeless player that by the time he left us had came onto a decent game. He looks much better now than the player we signed and I would have liked to have kept him. It’s definitely going to be a less difficult job to replace him than Cadden though and there will be a few right backs that will be able to do a similar job.

Like I say, we need some players coming in to make us feel a little more comfortable with what we might be watching this coming season. So far all we have is a couple of names we might be looking at but a few solid signings would certainly make me less concerned and more interested in who’s here rather than who’s not.

While I agree that we've lost good players, are people remembering it's over two months until the league kicks off? I don't think there's a Challenge Cup this year. Obviously we need players to have a pre-season but there's no need to panic yet.

EOho8Pw.png

5 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

While I agree that we've lost good players, are people remembering it's over two months until the league kicks off? I don't think there's a Challenge Cup this year. Obviously we need players to have a pre-season but there's no need to panic yet.

No idea what Morton are planning if they even are at all, but Raith and Ayr are going back to training on 17th August so in 2 weeks time.

Archived