Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Why should we allocate any of our limited resources to keeping a reserve team coach around? 

Player/coach. I have zero idea if he’s cut out to coach senior players or wether he even has interest in it though.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Player/coach. I have zero idea if he’s cut out to coach senior players or wether he even has interest in it though.

Coaching what and whom exactly? There's literally zero role available for him in the current backroom structure if - quite rightly - we're not going to run some regen squad when the first team are only playing 27 league games and there are practically unlimited loan deals available. It is this sort of half-arsed, 'och just give them a job anyway' social club mindset that explains why Greenock Morton can't actually have nice things.

Perhaps in the summer of 2021 we'll need someone to run a reserve squad. Right now, we don't though.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

15 hours ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

He will be working from home while still on full furlough I reckon. However that means if the club announce anything regarding players' futures, they run the risk of being accused of breaching the furlough rules. 

They announced that they had offered Cadden a new deal so surely that ship has sailed? 

I was going to say that it's beyond belief that by August 1 we've still heard absolutely nothing from the club about offering deals/releasing players from last fucking season and are relying on a drip feed of 'scoops' from the Poundland Pulitzer at the Tele for this information instead but it's actually such a classic Morton communications strategy that we could probably slap a trademark on it by now. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I’d be very happy with that. I wouldn’t read too much into his Dundee spell. Cut short by injury and before that was shunted into a 4-4-2 under their clownshoes manager expected to defend more than he attacked. He’s still very highly rated at Rangers, is their academy player of the year and their highest paid youth player by some distance. He’s lightning quick, and physical as well, and seems to actually know how to use skills effectively rather than show. If we got him and gave him the freedom Dundee didn’t, I think it’d be well worth it.

(Tl;dr, I rate the boy)

51 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I’d be very happy with that. I wouldn’t read too much into his Dundee spell. Cut short by injury and before that was shunted into a 4-4-2 under their clownshoes manager expected to defend more than he attacked. He’s still very highly rated at Rangers, is their academy player of the year and their highest paid youth player by some distance. He’s lightning quick, and physical as well, and seems to actually know how to use skills effectively rather than show. If we got him and gave him the freedom Dundee didn’t, I think it’d be well worth it.

(Tl;dr, I rate the boy)

Sounds promising, we'll probably stick him at RB.

What is this guy (I've never heard of him) McPake's supposed best position? From the description of his spell at Dundee above it reads like a central attacking midfielder, which would be a slight concern as I can't recall a time when we've actually made that role work for us. If it were the most attacking of a midfield three like we had for most of last season then that would require less of an adjustment. 

Would be happy with McPake. Appears to be able to play out wide and centrally, versatility will be key this season I believe. 

Christopher Dodds making some suggestion on Twitter about us signing David Mitchell, ex Falkirk keeper. Can't tell if I'm blocked or it's a private account replying to him but in response he has said "not for me to say, but yes.." 

Obviously Hopkin might be planning a different system and having the squad to be tactically flexible is a good thing anyway, but if he is predominantly a number 10 it's hard to see where he fits in if we keep the same system.

If he's capable of playing as a centre forward then great, but if he can't then despite it being felt he wasted on the wing at Dundee then that's really the only place he'd fit, and we already have Nesbitt (hopefully) and McGuffie taking those places on the wing. Although if we were switching to a system where we had someone playing just off a striker rather than the deeper creative role Colville/Lyon take, I'd like to see Nesbitt get a chance there.

It's nice to be speculating about signings again.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

7 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Would be happy with McPake. Appears to be able to play out wide and centrally, versatility will be key this season I believe. 

Christopher Dodds making some suggestion on Twitter about us signing David Mitchell, ex Falkirk keeper. Can't tell if I'm blocked or it's a private account replying to him but in response he has said "not for me to say, but yes.." 

He's under contract at Clyde until 2022 and there's got to be no chance at all of us paying even a nominal transfer fee.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Didn't we pay at least one nominal fee to Livingston for the van Shite/Blues transfers last summer? If there are no credible first team goalkeepers available on the open market - which seems close to reality right now - then for once there is a good case for paying a smallish fee to release one from their contract rather than bringing in some ringer who can get you relegated single-handedly. You adjust the budget to account for that outlay and that is partly what the MCT money should allow us to do. 

Archived