Championship 20/21 - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 20/21

Jamie_M

47 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

According to the Daily Record report, clubs outwith the top flight shouldn’t be back in training until 24th August. Seeing as Hearts are outwith the top flight despite all their whinging and wailing about it, MacKinnon is entirely correct. 

Argument here is about them starting training a few weeks ago. 

The 24th Aug rule only kicked in recently after the Boli and Aberdeen farce which then forced Hearts to stop training. 

Ive not seen anything to suggest they broke the rules a few weeks ago, if they had, im sure a lot more would have been made about it at the time. 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

According to the Daily Record report, clubs outwith the top flight shouldn’t be back in training until 24th August. Seeing as Hearts are outwith the top flight despite all their whinging and wailing about it, MacKinnon is entirely correct. 

A rule brought in last week, 2 weeks after they started back, which was within the rules at the time of them doing so. They are whinging because they've been told to stop again.

1 hour ago, Madton said:

The 24th Aug rule only kicked in recently after the Boli and Aberdeen farce which then forced Hearts to stop training. 

Ive not seen anything to suggest they broke the rules a few weeks ago, if they had, im sure a lot more would have been made about it at the time. 

This is correct. MacKinnon is completely wrong, and not for the first time. He's a complete rentagob.

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, Woody66 said:

The new strip is very nice.

First time for everything. Well done. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

13 hours ago, Woody66 said:

Yes. He'd be better spending his time doing things that benefit his own team. Possibly launching the new club website that he's been promising since the beginning of time.

Or telling us about a kit that’s appeared multiple times on Twitter now and we’re yet to hear anything about? 

20 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Dave MacKinnon (while full of inaccuracies by thinking they were given special dispensation to start training and not seemingly aware that Hearts have been back for 2 weeks) speaking out in favour of them being halted.

Had a few texts from Hearts supporting friends telling me Morton are now officially on their bad boys list.

Lovely.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5932967/hearts-unfair-advantage-morton-mackinnon/

Jason Leitch said the same thing about Hearts having special dispensation to train because of the court case (and also that they shouldn't have to stop because it was only a delay in new clubs starting training).

I didn’t really see anything that was especially controversial about what he was reported to have said in the Record. He can understand why they started early, can understand why they are aggrieved to have to stop and restart and can understand why it might be seen as (I don’t think he explicitly said it is?) an unfair advantage for them to continue while rivals are required to wait. Hearts fans reacting more the the headline than what he said, I think.

10 hours ago, Madton said:

Fair enough, didn’t realise it was a recent development. It does seem a bit of a pointless thing for MacKinnon to be getting involved in especially when he’s bringing budgets etc into it, but at the same time, if it inconveniences Hearts and has their fans chucking even more toys out their prams then that’s a nice bonus. 

On another note, is there regular testing being carried out for the lower league clubs at this stage? 

AWMSC

7 hours ago, cmdc said:

I didn’t really see anything that was especially controversial about what he was reported to have said in the Record. He can understand why they started early, can understand why they are aggrieved to have to stop and restart and can understand why it might be seen as (I don’t think he explicitly said it is?) an unfair advantage for them to continue while rivals are required to wait. Hearts fans reacting more the the headline than what he said, I think.

He says they were given special dispensation - they weren't. Had we adhered to the same protocols we'd also have been allowed to return, as would any other Championship club. (For what it's worth, I'm glad we didn't, as I think it would have been pretty pointless so far in advance.) He's totally ignorant as to what's been going on at Hearts - which is fine, it's not his club, but he should refrain from commenting unless he knows the facts.

EOho8Pw.png

16 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

He says they were given special dispensation - they weren't. Had we adhered to the same protocols we'd also have been allowed to return, as would any other Championship club. (For what it's worth, I'm glad we didn't, as I think it would have been pretty pointless so far in advance.) He's totally ignorant as to what's been going on at Hearts - which is fine, it's not his club, but he should refrain from commenting unless he knows the facts.

What's actually the truth about when clubs could return to training? Jason Leitch talked about Hearts having special dispensation, but Hearts have said all clubs could have returned (which would technically have meant special dispensation for any other club as well because it wouldn't have been allowed under the rules for the general public). 

9 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

What's actually the truth about when clubs could return to training? Jason Leitch talked about Hearts having special dispensation, but Hearts have said all clubs could have returned (which would technically have meant special dispensation for any other club as well because it wouldn't have been allowed under the rules for the general public). 

Hearts weren't told they could return because they're Hearts. They were told they could return because they submitted a set of protocols that were acceptable to the authorities. Had we done the same, we too could have trained (but again, I'm glad we didn't, as it would have been a bit pointless this far out.)

All this stuff about the Premiership season meaning they got special dispensation is a red herring. Remember, Hearts only went back on the 3rd - two weeks ago, after the Premiership season started, and this had been planned for ages:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-plan-eight-week-pre-season-training-programme-starting-august-2896775

MacKinnon is simply wrong when he says that Hearts were given permission to go back on August 3rd in case they won their court case. That's absolutely, completely, 100% false.

EOho8Pw.png

Hearts fans do seem quite a sensitive bunch on social media.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

7 hours ago, Deego said:

Do the rules that Aberdeen players broke apply to Championship players at this stage?

If they are back in training, I think so. That's one of the things that this pause in the resumption of training is for, to make sure all players are aware of the rules. 

The rules the Aberdeen players broke weren't specific to footballers. They broke the limit of people from no more than three different households being allowed to meet up indoors that we're all supposed to be adhering to. There was no requirement for footballers to stay in a bubble and avoid places like pubs or restaurants; if there'd still been 8 of them but only from three households as a few of the players lived together they wouldn't have been breaking any rules. Obviously that wasn't the case so they broke the rules every person is supposed to be following regardless of working in football.

It's just that with them having a public profile their rule breaking reflects on their employer and the industry they work in as a whole so brings their club and the game into disrepute, whereas if say a group of Tesco employees were found to have gone to the pub in the same numbers no one would be arguing that it's a sign supermarkets aren't taking the restrictions seriously and need to be shut down unless their employees get in line.

The SFA have also adopted the position that the wider societal restrictions we all have to follow are also rules of football, so that they can say any players or staff breaking those rules are breaking rules of football and give them a footballing sanction accordingly, but there aren't actually any extra restrictions about going out in public for footballers over and above the rules we all have to follow.

They may come into place now considering the backlash about Aberdeen and Bolingoli, but as it stands if there are eight Morton players who between them share three households then those eight players wouldn't be breaking any rules if they go to the pub or out for a meal together, just the same as any of us can go to a restaurant with another 7 people provided we don't break the 3 household limit. Although considering the scrutiny on footballers you'd have to say it wouldn't be sensible regardless.

There are of course loads of football specific guidelines clubs have to follow around training being non-contact and distanced, ensuring sanitary conditions with cleaning of equipment etc, but that's an unrelated issue to what the Aberdeen eight did.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

4 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

If they are back in training, I think so. That's one of the things that this pause in the resumption of training is for, to make sure all players are aware of the rules. 

The only thing that the pause in training is for is a pathetic, political virtue-signalling exercise by the SG and its chief moron officer Jason Leitch.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived