New Kit Launched - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

New Kit Launched

so72

What does our commercial/marketing department actually consist of?

I understand furlough means anyone who works there wont be in but I don't think there is any other full-time club who has got it as wrong as us for as long as us.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, so72 said:

What does our commercial/marketing department actually consist of?

I understand furlough means anyone who works there wont be in but I don't think there is any other full-time club who has got it as wrong as us for as long as us.

I’d say it’s pretty much Lesley Ann smiling and giving folk a bit of patter at hospitality with some agency workers brought in for the catering, the same sponsors who’ve been cutting about for years being asked if they want to renew and all merchandising punted out to Smiths to deal with.

When I met MacKinnon in January after the Twitter carry on I made the point to him that I wouldn’t on principle be paying £14 for a calendar from Smiths because it was an absolute rip off. He had no idea that’s what they were charging and the following day it was reduced on the website to £8. Of course, seasonal products such as that are reduced at that time of year, but it suggests to me that Smiths have (or at least had) pretty much free reign to do whatever they want.

From what I’ve heard from those involved in MCT, I expect much more scrutiny on their operations in future. I’d be at pains to get shot of them, because they are probably the only local firm that can do the job for Morton and provide free, accessible town centre floor space, but they could be doing with upping their game.

25 minutes ago, Toby said:

I’d say it’s pretty much Lesley Ann smiling and giving folk a bit of patter at hospitality with some agency workers brought in for the catering, the same sponsors who’ve been cutting about for years being asked if they want to renew and all merchandising punted out to Smiths to deal with.

When I met MacKinnon in January after the Twitter carry on I made the point to him that I wouldn’t on principle be paying £14 for a calendar from Smiths because it was an absolute rip off. He had no idea that’s what they were charging and the following day it was reduced on the website to £8. Of course, seasonal products such as that are reduced at that time of year, but it suggests to me that Smiths have (or at least had) pretty much free reign to do whatever they want.

From what I’ve heard from those involved in MCT, I expect much more scrutiny on their operations in future. I’d be at pains to get shot of them, because they are probably the only local firm that can do the job for Morton and provide free, accessible town centre floor space, but they could be doing with upping their game.

Cheers for the rundown. I had thought it was mainly Smiths being left to do as they saw fit. Its been gone over 100x on here already so nothing new to add, just really hope we sort the marketing out.

Just picked up my new shirt and I have to say I am very impressed, the collar going into the blue being the only downside, but even that is only a small one.

I did notice the window down the side of Smith's on Nicholson Street which still has last season's home top in it, and a sign saying new away kit out now. That will be the new away kit that came out a year ago then.

2 hours ago, Toby said:

She’s got a lovely smile!

54 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

Screenshot_20200713_133647_com.whatsapp.jpg

Looks like it’s been made from soiled bandages!

2 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

My mate just picked his up. Opened the packet and theres stains all over the white hoops. Laughable. 

Deary me. Someone at the club has really rattled your cage eh? 

Hopefully vision get their balls booted for that. I had the same experience a few years ago with the pinstripe effort. Made the staff in smiths open 4/5 before I was happy. They were mortified to be fair 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

55 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Hopefully vision get their balls booted for that. I had the same experience a few years ago with the pinstripe effort. Made the staff in smiths open 4/5 before I was happy. They were mortified to be fair 

Not rattled at all, mate. 

Is it really too much to demand (since we can't expect) a bit of thought process when it comes to this kind of thing?

It lacks class and screams half arsed which is pretty much the general mantra of the club. 

The finer details all add up!

TIME FOR CHANGE!

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Did anyone from the club do any sampling or quality control between the kits being manufactured and sent to Smiths? If not then why not? 

Morton seem to have very little interest or control over the quality/consistency of their most important piece of merchandise. The entire production chain seems to be an absolute clusterfuck. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

We don’t have a dedicated marketing person. Hence why bits of it have often bled in to Lesley Ann, Brendan & the media guys roles. It has never been looked at as being serious enough to merit a full time wage or even a full time volunteer role, and still isn’t. Until there is at least one person in place (it really should be more) responsible for it, we’ll continue to be uncoordinated and pretty unprofessional.

1 minute ago, TONofmemories said:

Correct. Total red face stuff. It only adds to the local perception that we're a total dummy outfit as well IMO

I've said it a few times in here but it wouldn't take much to have some sort of standard marketing plan and guidelines to follow. They could get a consultant in to help and leave it to the staff we have to run with maybe the odd paid for day here and there - it doesn't necessarily need to be a full time role. 

Not difficult at all. Consistency in plan and guidelines as you say is half the battle. 

There's no systematic approach. 

Same with pre/post match videos, albeit we've made strides in the Morton weekly update; it's not hard to dedicate a room to it. One of the advertising screens behind and make the videos consistent rather than pitch side, often in the howling wind and rain, with all sorts of folk wandering by. Or worse still, in the concourse between the changing rooms with doors slamming, folk shouting and balling etc. 

Consistency is key to anything and we lack it. Big time. 

Broken record stuff and, to a lot, probably not important. But there's standards to set and uphold. It all adds up

TIME FOR CHANGE!

23 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Not difficult at all. Consistency in plan and guidelines as you say is half the battle. 

There's no systematic approach. 

Same with pre/post match videos, albeit we've made strides in the Morton weekly update; it's not hard to dedicate a room to it. One of the advertising screens behind and make the videos consistent rather than pitch side, often in the howling wind and rain, with all sorts of folk wandering by. Or worse still, in the concourse between the changing rooms with doors slamming, folk shouting and balling etc. 

Consistency is key to anything and we lack it. Big time. 

Broken record stuff and, to a lot, probably not important. But there's standards to set and uphold. It all adds up

People only make and follow plans for things they care about. Nobody at Morton gives the slightest fuck about any of this, so there's no plan, much less any execution.

This will only change when the keys are handed over.

EOho8Pw.png

I've not ordered one so will be waiting to see if Vision get a better batch of tops because differences like that shouldn't happen.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived