New Kit Launched - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

New Kit Launched

so72

Also the white collar bites into the blue hoop which it doesn't on the Smiths website. It doesn't look too bad on Mr Blue's picture on the previous page I suppose.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was about the marketing overall, but as GIGI says even the mannequin effort itself is shoddy at best. 

It looks tacky, lazy and all a bit of an after thought.  

I spoke before about training kits not matching etc - and was criticised on twitter for it and probably on here (i can't really remember), but for me it's these small details that really let us down. It just doesn't look all that professional IMO. Lower league teams (see Falkirk) and even Junior teams are capable of producing better quality images for things like kit launches than we seem capable of COVID or no COVID.

I suspect that comes down to not really giving much of a fuck on the whole, rather than this isolated incident. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I think in terms of marketing, something even just that wasn’t a completely last minute change of release day and the first we’ve heard of the kit from the club since the day it was launched would’ve been the bog standard to accept...

Luckily the kit is nice. Hope it sells well. 

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Aye, I was a bit surprised to see you biting back at ToM abot that because you're usually on the same hymn sheet as guys like him and myself about stuff like that.

Tbf, he's been critical of the club's marketing of the kit since the day it was released, which was why I took it that it was the overall marketing that he was bemoaning.

Wasn't meaning to bite back was just wondering what he expected today based on what we usually see (like players wearing it or something when they can't).

Definitely on the same hymn sheet about our commercial activity and hoping for big improvements in the new era.

1 hour ago, TONofmemories said:

My point was about the marketing overall, but as GIGI says even the mannequin effort itself is shoddy at best. 

I spoke before about training kits not matching etc - and was criticised on twitter for it and probably on here (i can't really remember), but for me it's these small details that really let us down. It just doesn't look all that professional IMO. Lower league teams (see Falkirk) and even Junior teams are capable of producing better quality images for things like kit launches than we seem capable of COVID or no COVID.

I suspect that comes down to not really giving much of a fuck on the whole, rather than this isolated incident. 

Fair enough, misinterpreted your post. Agree that the whole approach continues to be poor.

Looking forward to getting back the Cappielow to see if the cowshed pie stall screen still has Tidser and Harkins staring back at us modelling old kits.

2 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Spot on. We've been cursed forever with a total lack of understanding about the importance of marketing a professional image to the fans and wider world. In this day and age it is inexcusable no matter the pandemic or other local problems. and no matter what regime is in charge the problem remains.

This is bread and butter stuff and not giving a fuck is really quite shameful when every penny counts.

15 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

Spot on. We've been cursed forever with a total lack of understanding about the importance of marketing a professional image to the fans and wider world. In this day and age it is inexcusable no matter the pandemic or other local problems. and no matter what regime is in charge the problem remains.

This is bread and butter stuff and not giving a fuck is really quite shameful when every penny counts.

Aye absolutely. If we had a better commercial presence you'd inevitably get more attendance from and sell a lot more stuff to the local Celtic/Rangers fans as well even if it's just buying tops for their weans if they see stuff on social media etc. Make of that what you will but we'd still happily take their money.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Got mine today and quite happy with it but it did occur to me when I got the email that I wasn't actually sure what it would be like as all we ever saw was the computer imagine. How hard would it have been to get a sample made up and sent out to one of the players? Even with a decent phone I'm sure you could get something reasonable from a players back garden.

21 minutes ago, GMFC_Matt said:

Got mine today and quite happy with it but it did occur to me when I got the email that I wasn't actually sure what it would be like as all we ever saw was the computer imagine. How hard would it have been to get a sample made up and sent out to one of the players? Even with a decent phone I'm sure you could get something reasonable from a players back garden.

That would be classed as breach of furlough. Other clubs have done it though.

Just noticed I missed the launch by a month.

FB_IMG_1594500441829.jpg

18 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

The white extending into the blue is annoying to say the least. 

I saw that “Greenock Morton Fans Page” on Twitter saying “we’ve been played” over the white extending onto the blue hoop on the kit.

I know the boy that runs that page is a bit weird to say the least, but it’s not really a big deal, is it?

1 hour ago, Toby said:

I saw that “Greenock Morton Fans Page” on Twitter saying “we’ve been played” over the white extending onto the blue hoop on the kit.

I know the boy that runs that page is a bit weird to say the least, but it’s not really a big deal, is it?

Sounds like a bit of a clown tbh. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

6 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Why do the hoops on the arms go diagonal?

That was a surprise to me and Gavin too. I guess the reasoning is that the hoops on the arms and body are aligned straight when your arms are at your sides.

As a comparison, this Celtic shirt has the sleeve hoops parallel with the cuffs, with effect that they sit at around 45 degrees to the hoops on the body.

34CD512A-7555-4D82-8A60-CC810E4C1D55.jpeg

The complaints (or comments) about the collar and the gradient of the hoops are probably very good examples of why using a computer generated image of the kit to promote (a word I use in the loosest possible terms) was such a shit idea.

Folk’ll accept a football top not looking as good on them as it will on a physical specimen like Cameron Blues, because it’s not the club’s fault they’re a fat bastard, but we’re seeing complaints about pretty minor things due to the final product not actually being made before it was unveiled.

If only they could just do things properly now and again.

Would tend to agree with you, Toby, in that it is a minor complaint and one of personal taste, but it just looks naff. 

Above anything, there are details of the strip which are very different from the computer generated effort used to promote the thing in the first place (as you say, the term being used in the loosest sense). It's just fucking amateur. There's no other way of putting it. Of course, i don't have to buy it but i WANT to buy something that contributes to the club. They should at least make a proper, professional effort in return for my money. 

Firing the thing on any old mannequin from Smiths with zero thought for how the strip looks in the light, how well the photography is, how it actually fits a shitey old, armless mannequin....i despair. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Not so long ago we brought in Tall Tale Films  to help kick start the new Morton Weekly update. Smart, professional and a massive upgrade on what we were used to. We seem to have been able to keep that up via the guy Gerry (McDade for clarity)....😂

Why not pay these guys to do a strip launch video. Drone footage etc of things Morton, compilations of old strips etc. Bit of background. Anything to make a song and dance about the new strip in an attempt to try sell more. 

Instead, we got the classic Morton.

SAD!

TIME FOR CHANGE!

3 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Not so long ago we brought in Tall Tale Films  to help kick start the new Morton Weekly update. Smart, professional and a massive upgrade on what we were used to. We seem to have been able to keep that up via the guy Gerry (McDade for clarity)....😂

Why not pay these guys to do a strip launch video. Drone footage etc of things Morton, compilations of old strips etc. Bit of background. Anything to make a song and dance about the new strip in an attempt to try sell more. 

Instead, we got the classic Morton.

SAD!

Absolutely - but I bet you wouldn't even have to pay people. There will 100% be film/video/photography/marketing students, graduates (or even professionals) willing to provide Morton their time for free in return actual experience with an actual "professional" football club. 

Even with furlough in place, there are clubs the length and breadth of the UK launching kits so it's really not impossible.

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

Archived