The Big Transfer Thread 2020 - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big Transfer Thread 2020

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awaits knock on the door.

That'll be Amazon probably.

The Charabanc Sisters are on lockdown just now. There are not enough mouth breathers walking the streets of Inverclyde in awe of their magnificent wealth at the moment. Give it a few months though.

*insert signature here*

Wonder what will happen to all the out of contract players in the next 12 months since there wont be an abundance of support or jobs. Imagine there will be a few who won't return to football in your (likely) scenario.

I know that some countries, Germany for example, are intending to re-start their leagues (no idea if it's just the top tier but I suspect it will be).  I can't see that happening below the level where games are televised and it certainly won't reach our level - the covid testing and isolation required makes it impossible in practice and that's before you take into consideration the families of players who might pass on the virus.  I think that the football authorities are in denial about the effect this virus will continue to have until a vaccine or cure is found.

I know at youth/development level, this will do a lot of damage to football - you can't keep kids interested for six months or a year when they can't play or train and there are so many other things to grab their attention.  Once things get back to some kind of normal, a lot of young players will be lost to the game.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I know that some countries, Germany for example, are intending to re-start their leagues (no idea if it's just the top tier but I suspect it will be).

Off-topic I know, but an update on this. The top two divisions are supposed to be restarting this Saturday, but Dyname Dresden have had two players test positive after they were back in training so that's the whole team in isolation for two weeks and their first two games back postponed.

The Bundesliga are still pressing on with this weekend, but there's only going to be so many positive tests with two weeks of postponements following they can handle before the fixture list descends into a shambles. Particularly once positive tests follow games and you're looking at two clubs sitting it out for a fortnight rather than one, with no opportunity to even train together in the two weeks off then being asked to go straight back into games.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Off-topic I know, but an update on this. The top two divisions are supposed to be restarting this Saturday, but Dyname Dresden have had two players test positive after they were back in training so that's the whole team in isolation for two weeks and their first two games back postponed.

The Bundesliga are still pressing on with this weekend, but there's only going to be so many positive tests with two weeks of postponements following they can handle before the fixture list descends into a shambles. Particularly once positive tests follow games and you're looking at two clubs sitting it out for a fortnight rather than one, with no opportunity to even train together in the two weeks off then being asked to go straight back into games.

Which illustrates why any attempt to get football up and running before either a vaccine is found or the vast majority of the population have had the virus is doomed to failure.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• 2 weeks later...

As he was the first name people jumped on from the OP, worth saying that Kilmarnock are in talks with Kiltie for a new contract: https://kilmarnockfc.co.uk/news/squad-update-following-2019-20-season/

A lot of the players they've confirmed as leaving are loans ending or players looking to move up the way, but looking through the other released players there. The goalkeepers are crap, Frizzell will probably get linked due to being from Greenock but we have no need for more wingers and Dumbarton fans weren't fussed to see him leave there in January. Iain Wilson is a holding midfielder who QoS fans have rated in his two loan spells but I can't recall noticing him in games against us.

We're probably months away from being able to even make signings, but pointless speculation is a nice way to pass the time.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• 2 weeks later...

Given that we're past the standard contract expiry date in Scotland and haven't announced that any player is leaving, can we accume that they have all been extended them on the furlough scheme?

Given that we're past the standard contract expiry date in Scotland and haven't announced that any player is leaving, can we accume that they have all been extended them on the furlough scheme?

PFA Spokesperson on Sportsound at the weekend said around 2/3rds of clubs have extended under furlough. We weren't one of the clubs mentioned to have done otherwise so think we can assume so.

With a few of our early signings in the summer we specified the expiry date as 10 June, so probably safe to assume that's when every player is up.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Site's up and down like a bride's nightie, so here's the full text:

------------------

The Club can confirm that it has extended the contracts of our players out of contract, until the 31st of July under the Government’s Job retention scheme.

Over the next few weeks, it is our intention to further extend agreements with the players identified by Hoppy to be part of the forthcoming season’s squad.

Striker Bob McHugh has advised the Club that he considers his future to be away from Cappielow, and has refused an offer to extend his stay. Since joining us in 2017, Bob has served us well and he goes with our best wishes for the future.

The senior squad players currently with contracts to 2021 and beyond are:

Cameron Blues, Luca Colville, Alexander Easdale, Kyle Jacobs, Reece Lyon, Craig McGuffie, Kalvin Orsi, Cameron Salkeld, Lewis Strapp, and Chris Wylie.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived