The Big Transfer Thread 2020 - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big Transfer Thread 2020

Sorted by position, then, here's the squad as of today:

GK: Chris Wylie

Defenders: Lewis Strapp

Midfielders: Blues, Jacobs, Colville, Lyon

Attackers: Salkeld, McGuffie, Orsi, Easdale

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s a bit of a shame about McHugh, been a good player for us since joining, though probably not good enough to start every week if we want a genuine chance of promotion at some point.

That’s a bit of a shame about McHugh, been a good player for us since joining, though probably not good enough to start every week if we want a genuine chance of promotion at some point.

Good luck to him (unless he signs for Falkirk.) Will be interested to see where he ends up. Wonder if he's thinking of going part-time or if he's had an offer elsewhere?

EOho8Pw.png

Also, how can any of the decision makers at the club look at Blues’ performances and think he’s worthy of a contract extension. An utterly hopeless footballer.

He was already tied up to 2021 tbf, but the decision to give him that deal in the first place isn’t any less baffling.

Pretty sure I’d read recently that McHugh had trained as a gas and heating engineer. Might now be at that stage of his career that he’ll realise there’s more money to be made doing that with the nice wee top up of part time football. I certainly hope he doesn’t go to Falkirk anyway, I like Bob.

Not seen anyone mention it yet, so I’ll be the first. Not sure he sees the Championship as his level now, but I’d take Stephen McGinn without a second thought.

If we can get Cadden and Nesbitt signed up then I'm pretty optimistic. Lots of space there hopefully to bring in new defenders and strikers which we have been crying out for.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

He was already tied up to 2021 tbf, but the decision to give him that deal in the first place isn’t any less baffling.

He played a part in a decent run of form for the team. Not been overly impressed either but he's only just turned 22 so I think it's harsh to write him off when he's not played a huge amount of games either.

He played a part in a decent run of form for the team. Not been overly impressed either but he's only just turned 22 so I think it's harsh to write him off when he's not played a huge amount of games either.

In our good run of form over the last 10 games of the season he started twice, one of which was our only defeat in that run. You can't simultaneously defend him for contributing to a good run and also defend him for not having played much; it's one or the other.

What worries me here is announcing McHugh is leaving and no one else. Maybe in the circumstances with extending everyone under furlough they don't want to announce which players they're choosing to punt yet whereas McHugh's choosing to leave having been offered something. I hope that's the case, because the alternative is everyone being offered an extension, including Ramsbottom, McGinty, McLean and Muirhead...

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

In our good run of form over the last 10 games of the season he started twice, one of which was our only defeat in that run. You can't simultaneously defend him for contributing to a good run and also defend him for not having played much; it's one or the other.

I'm not really defending either - just saying it's harsh to judge him so will see how next season goes. He's obviously not over impressed but he's no Dylan Dykes.

Not that arsed about McHugh going in all honesty. Despite being our top goal scorer the past 3 seasons there is better out there.

There are strikers available in our wage range than have different attributes to McHugh, but there won't be a more natural finisher than McHugh available at this level. His finishing is Premiership standard, but there are parts of his game that aren't good enough for this level. I was hoping that he would have developed the weaknesses in his game, given the number of starts we gave him, but that didn't happen.

It's also worth noting that McHugh has played in Morton teams that haven't created a great deal of chances. Given the shite service being offered to him, I think McHugh did very well over the duration of his time at Morton. I wish him well, with the usual caveats attached. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Pretty sure I’d read recently that McHugh had trained as a gas and heating engineer. Might now be at that stage of his career that he’ll realise there’s more money to be made doing that with the nice wee top up of part time football. I certainly hope he doesn’t go to Falkirk anyway, I like Bob.

Not seen anyone mention it yet, so I’ll be the first. Not sure he sees the Championship as his level now, but I’d take Stephen McGinn without a second thought.

Might head to Queens Park if thats the case

Might head to Queens Park if thats the case

That was suggested on our group chat, but they’re full time next season. Maybe Dumbarton, Duffy brought him here, so you’d imagine he’s a fan.

According to the Tele, his permanent deal last summer was until the end of this season. Don't see any mention of a two year deal and would be amazed if we did offer that. Considering we have Jacobs, Colville and Lyon in there already, you'd imagine Jim will stay and we will potentially replace Millar, we don't need Blues.

Salkeld also signed for 1 year according to the official site.

Think the only player who signed last year and got a 2 year deal(publicly) was Colville.

According to the Tele, his permanent deal last summer was until the end of this season. Don't see any mention of a two year deal and would be amazed if we did offer that. Considering we have Jacobs, Colville and Lyon in there already, you'd imagine Jim will stay and we will potentially replace Millar, we don't need Blues.

Salkeld also signed for 1 year according to the official site.

Think the only player who signed last year and got a 2 year deal(publicly) was Colville.

We must’ve given him an extension and kept it quiet then, bizarre.

So with McHugh away and discounting Rogers & Baird, the remaining out of contract players are:

Ramsbottom

Tumilty

McLean

McGinty

Millar

McAlister

Cadden

Muirhead

Nesbitt

Doolan

Sutton?

Of that lot I'd keep Tumilty, McAlister (primarily as cover considering he'll be 35 in November and whatever format the season takes we'll have more midweek games than usual), Cadden, Nesbitt, and if Sutton's staying as a coach anyway we're as well having him registered as a player, in case of emergencies rather than planning to use him regularly.

You'd imagine Millar and Doolan will retire, but neither have merited a new contract anyway - Doolan has literally touched the ball once. You'd imagine he'd rather go back to Partick if he isn't retiring anyway. Sad for Millar to have his career end this way but his legs are clearly gone.

Ramsbottom, McLean and McGinty are out of their depth to varying degrees, while Muirhead swinging in the occasional brilliant cross or putting a 25 yarder into the top corner doesn't justify the weeks of Adam Coakley performances that occur either side of those rare good moments. They all have to go.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

That was suggested on our group chat, but they’re full time next season. Maybe Dumbarton, Duffy brought him here, so you’d imagine he’s a fan.

Thought they were just going fully Part-Time, no? Dumbarton makes a lot of sense.

Archived