Cadden ready to stay - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Cadden ready to stay

I don’t think many players will pass up the first contract they’re offered.

You'd think so, with the flip side that companies can't hire new employees and furlough them so new signings are going to be an issue for every club if lockdown continues and transfer windows may have to be moved to allow for that.

We also have to hope that if some restrictions are lifted allowing non-essential companies to reopen but mass gatherings still aren't allowed, so no football, that the furlough scheme remains available. If not then clubs like us who already have a good few players under contract for next season could be in serious bother if we're having the outgoings starting up again before income returns.

Thinking about the footballing side of things though, Cadden staying would be fantastic news.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Hopefully we can offer him more than a year. If he has another good season there will be teams sniffing about.

In an ideal world, sure but you'd have to be off your rocker to put down two year contracts as a football club in this situation. There's no reason to expect that next season will go smoothly nor that the government will continue its furlough assistance if the bulk of the economy is up and running again.

The good news is that he's content to stay.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

You'd think so, with the flip side that companies can't hire new employees and furlough them so new signings are going to be an issue for every club if lockdown continues and transfer windows may have to be moved to allow for that.

We also have to hope that if some restrictions are lifted allowing non-essential companies to reopen but mass gatherings still aren't allowed, so no football, that the furlough scheme remains available. If not then clubs like us who already have a good few players under contract for next season could be in serious bother if we're having the outgoings starting up again before income returns.

Thinking about the footballing side of things though, Cadden staying would be fantastic news.

It seems fixed term contracts can be renewed or extended and stay on furlough, but companies can’t hire new employees and put them into furlough.

Any update on this?

Would be excellent if they could get him signed up, I'm also wondering if this could be an opportunity to maybe pickup a quality player or two in the chaos that will ensue when contracts run out?

We're not exactly swimming in cash but there's an income stream there from MCT that could maybe be used to give an offer to a player like Gunning who maybe looking for some job security in an uncertain market?

If the existing contracts are covered by the furlough scheme the MCT money could give us an advantage over competitors, could be a gamble worth taking. I know everything is very uncertain but I feel that with reconstruction next season a possibility we really need to ensure we're top 4 at the very least.

We can’t really start contract negotiations with anyone until we’ve got even a rough idea of when we’ll be playing again.

Unless we steal a march on other teams thinking exactly the same and manage to get a better quality of player signed up than we would be able to otherwise, it's a gamble.

I can’t see how we can start playing again this side of new year. Social distancing is incompatible with playing football.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived