Save the Ton - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Save the Ton

I don’t think we have stay away fans anymore, I think they’re just gone.

Agreed.

New fans, and new revenue streams are priorities, not targeting those that are likely gone.

Worry that number will increase if the lack of football drags on long term. Going to the football is a habit. Once broken it can be hard to restore.

We were averaging nearly 3000 15 years ago in League 1, its half that now.

It was also half that number 30 years ago when the club had been bouncing in and out of the top flight during the previous decade. The post-takeover period is a huge outlier and it is one of the biggest failings of the Rae regime that they seriously thought that it was the new normal and 'planned' accordingly - expecting a regular, 4000 average attendance in the second tier.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Agreed.

New fans, and new revenue streams are priorities, not targeting those that are likely gone.

Worry that number will increase if the lack of football drags on long term. Going to the football is a habit. Once broken it can be hard to restore.

If football starts before a vaccine then we will struggle to get fans in due to fears of being in big crowds (if we are even allowed).

On the other hand, if they can build up enough positivity and anticipation then people might come just because they are desperate to get out.

There was a Frontline Scotland documentary about Morton & Hugh Scott from around that time. There was a Professor Bert Moorhouse arguing that Scottish Football has too many clubs and Steve Withers being the Morton supporter that was being interviewed. I have looked for it on YouTube but couldn't find it.

Was it this one?

http://youtu.be/2MtSzgsOOTM

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

That's Ally Witherow who was on the Save the Ton committee.

Andy Blair... He played for Aston Villa in the 80s. Will have been pals with Allan Evans.

Yon Bert Moore House guy...talked some pish.

That's who it was. Steve Withers ran the Albert bus at the time, which Ally travelled on hence the confusion.

That was one of the things I remember was the self-aggrandising Bert Morehouse and his nauseating opinions, which if it were to have been nowadays he would have had them torn up for arse paper by some equally intelligent young lads like TrVmp or Vikington.

*insert signature here*

Was it this one?

I forgot about Mike Peden, but then there were a few shadowy figures circling the club like vultures at the time, waiting to pick us clean. He was a complete charlatan, who was trying to play Football Manager behind the scenes, without a pot to piss in. I wonder where that £40k went from the Canadian deal? Same goes for the grant money Hugh Scott got. No doubt he was grossly overestimating the costings of the work done, which left the Cowshed in a complete fucking mess.

The STT campaign galvanised the town and supporters, but as the 2000/01 season dragged on, with the club in administration and no buyer in sight, the anger quickly turned into despair, and then resignation that we were pretty much done for. I didn't go to the Alloa game, but went to the last home game (I think it was against Falkirk), thinking it was going to be the last time I would see Morton. I think we were already relegated at that point.

The last I heard of Hugh Scott was a few years ago, when he was in dispute (surprise!) with a group of luvvies up the West End of Glasgow. IIRC he was up to his old tricks of placing bollards to block residents and shop owners on Otago Lane. Prick.

Been a long time since I was considered young!

Frankly and to my shame I was tuned out during most of the STT era. I just thought it was the end of it.

Well, that Bert Morehouse character would be at least 40-50 years older than you, i reckon. He was lauded as an expert and an intellectual back then whereas I reckon if he were around today yourself, VikingTon, Dunning1874 and a few others would have easily batted his expert opinion into the long grass where it belongs.

*insert signature here*

I forgot about Mike Peden, but then there were a few shadowy figures circling the club like vultures at the time, waiting to pick us clean. He was a complete charlatan, who was trying to play Football Manager behind the scenes, without a pot to piss in. I wonder where that £40k went from the Canadian deal? Same goes for the grant money Hugh Scott got. No doubt he was grossly overestimating the costings of the work done, which left the Cowshed in a complete fucking mess.

The STT campaign galvanised the town and supporters, but as the 2000/01 season dragged on, with the club in administration and no buyer in sight, the anger quickly turned into despair, and then resignation that we were pretty much done for. I didn't go to the Alloa game, but went to the last home game (I think it was against Falkirk), thinking it was going to be the last time I would see Morton. I think we were already relegated at that point.

The last I heard of Hugh Scott was a few years ago, when he was in dispute (surprise!) with a group of luvvies up the West End of Glasgow. IIRC he was up to his old tricks of placing bollards to block residents and shop owners on Otago Lane. Prick.

Hugh Scott and his wife regularly attend St. Mirin's Cathedral in Paisley.

*insert signature here*

That's the one, have yourself a greenie :thumbup2:

I realised you couldn’t find it because I hadn’t actually put “Morton” in its title. Sorted now.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

This will be the game you mean. We were relegated a few days earlier with a 3-0 home defeat by Ross County (having won up at Dingwall the previous midweek).

http://youtu.be/bmNEhhQ0AU4

It was a long close-season waiting for news. 

Strange to think that our next home game would be the opener against Stenhousemuir with a cobbled-together team winning 4-1 and giving us false hope for what lay ahead.

This will be the game you mean. We were relegated a few days earlier with a 3-0 home defeat by Ross County (having won up at Dingwall the previous midweek).

It was a long close-season waiting for news. 

Strange to think that our next home game would be the opener against Stenhousemuir with a cobbled-together team winning 4-1 and giving us false hope for what lay ahead.

Thank you AT. I've just spent most of the afternoon watching through some of those old clips.

It's kinda ironic when you think Bannerman scored the first goal of that season against Stenny, and the last goal of the season after against Peterhead in the title decider.

Thank you AT. I've just spent most of the afternoon watching through some of those old clips.

It's kinda ironic when you think Bannerman scored the first goal of that season against Stenny, and the last goal of the season after against Peterhead in the title decider.

Last goal of the following season, bear in mind. We weren’t actually out of administration the day we beat Stenhousemuir 4-1, the final creditors’ meeting was a few days after that game. Everyone seemed quite confident that the club had been saved that day but the final meeting was an all day shot that definitely had it’s nervous moments.

I just hope that when Scott dies we hear about it. The video of that wee wifey talking about Thatcher’s death in George Square resonates. Should be some piss up.

Last goal of the following season, bear in mind. We weren’t actually out of administration the day we beat Stenhousemuir 4-1, the final creditors’ meeting was a few days after that game. Everyone seemed quite confident that the club had been saved that day but the final meeting was an all day shot that definitely had it’s nervous moments.

I just hope that when Scott dies we hear about it. The video of that wee wifey talking about Thatcher’s death in George Square resonates. Should be some piss up.

Scott once asked me to pretend I’d seen Ian McCall smoking in the stadium so he could sack him. Never forgot that.

Archived