Sign in to follow this  
TONofmemories

SPFL Clubs to Vote

League reconstruction is a separate issue. If there is a positive vision which can be agreed among enough clubs, then that should be put forward - but it has to actually be beneficial in the longer term.

As it is there are surely two options as far as I can see. Null and void the season or finish with average points determining positions now. Neither are particularly fair, but those are the options. The playoffs cannot be played and have to be cancelled, so no-one can go up and down through that mechanism, but the automatic rel/pro places are still there and can be used. There's nothing particularly satisfying (well, I mean in general, there's obviously satisfaction in particular outcomes for particular club's as things stand) in any outcome, but that's where we are.

On what basis can they make a legal challenge?

1) The SPFL rules that they both freely signed up to allows its board to sort out the leagues in the event of not completing 38 games.

2) Nobody can seriously challenge that the coronavirus shutdown meets that category and makes it completely impractical to fulfil all outstanding fixtures.

3) Hearts and Partick each have a vote against the proposal that requires three quarters of SPFL clubs and clear majorities in all four divisions to be ratified.

4) Top flight, second tier status etc. is not inalienable private property held by a club.

At no point so far has the SPFL done anything other than follow its rulebook; just because a handful of clubs might not like the outcome doesn’t mean that they have a credible legal case against it. Which is why despite all of Falkirk’s blubbering about the SPL, even those professional victims didn’t drag their gormless case before the courts.

If Hearts or ‘Thistle (boak’) want to try their luck then the SPFL should simply let the best available lawyers run up the clock for them and pass on the costs to those two tantrum clubs. Which hopefully cripples them.

Falkirk was different - there was a clear set of criteria there and they couldn’t satisfy them.

In this case there’s a degree of discretion and if a club’s interests are harmed in the exercise of that discretion they might try to argue that it was irrational, or that it was procedurally flawed, or that they had a legitimate expectation to play 38 games, or whatever other arguments they might chuck at it. And to win a case isn’t the only reason for raising an action - they might do so to delay/frustrate a decision or to force a settlement somewhere before any hearing (eg to turn a vague promise to look at league reconstruction into a meaningful commitment).

League reconstruction is a separate issue. If there is a positive vision which can be agreed among enough clubs, then that should be put forward - but it has to actually be beneficial in the longer term.

As it is there are surely two options as far as I can see. Null and void the season or finish with average points determining positions now. Neither are particularly fair, but those are the options. The playoffs cannot be played and have to be cancelled, so no-one can go up and down through that mechanism, but the automatic rel/pro places are still there and can be used. There's nothing particularly satisfying (well, I mean in general, there's obviously satisfaction in particular outcomes for particular club's as things stand) in any outcome, but that's where we are.

I’m not sure null and void is a practical option, in that clubs/governing bodies are running scared of the implications for sponsorship and broadcast contracts covering the season, and therefore income.

Three leagues of 16, each playing 30 league games a season.

Too many teams too few games. Need to be getting the pro teams count down and regionalise everything else.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

What would the tables look like if they only used points after playing each other twice or even three times? That would negate anyone saying they had a game in hand

I’m not sure null and void is a practical option, in that clubs/governing bodies are running scared of the implications for sponsorship and broadcast contracts covering the season, and therefore income.

Yeah. And that's where we are where we are.

What would the tables look like if they only used points after playing each other twice or even three times? That would negate anyone saying they had a game in hand

I don't think writing off games that have already been played would be remotely tolerable to any clubs. If you won your last couple of games and had the points taken off you it could be very damaging.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I'm only in favour of any solution which relegates Partick Thistle. Anything else is trivial.

You know I hate every pop star that I ever met.

I'm only in favour of any solution which relegates Partick Thistle. Anything else is trivial.

Keeping Falkirk down is equally critical.

• Upvote 1

Tried to slide down a banister on his way out the ground and it ended tragically I’m sure. Think you’re right about it being that game though.

Aye, that was a fucking stupid thing to do right enough.

Edit to add:

Was the same game. They had a minutes applause at the England game a few days afterwards.

Edited by capitanus

Keeping Falkirk down is equally critical.

You stick to Falkirk and I'll deal with the bigger matter in hand.

Next.

A wee favour for Robbo’s big team

They’ll have backed themselves to go up through playoffs. Should have nipped that in the bud with no relegation and additional promotion, imo.

Three clubs yet to vote - SPFL

In a statement, the SPFL says: "The SPFL board met this evening to consider the responses to the resolution sent to clubs on 8 April.

"As at 5pm, the SPFL had received 39 responses, 85% of which have been in favour, as follows:

• Premiership - nine votes in favour; one against
  • Championship - seven in favour; two against
  • Leagues One & Two - 16 in favour; three against

"With three clubs yet to vote, the SPFL will issue further updates in due course."

We await the voting slip from one Championship club'

A spokesman for the SPFL added: "It is very important that clubs consider carefully the resolution and we are grateful to those clubs who have voted already.

“With the Ladbrokes Premiership and Ladbrokes Leagues 1 & 2 divisions each having approved the resolution, we await the voting slip from the one Ladbrokes Championship club that has yet to vote. We will provide an update as soon as we are in a position to do so.”

I forgot to vote in the last election.Think I could still do it even though its past the deadline time?

It’s not, the official deadline is in 28 days, 5PM today was just a request.

• Upvote 2

Just seen from BBC Reporting Scotland that it's 7-2 in favour of the resolution with one club still to vote, who are likely to vote against. I want to know who those bastards are so that I needn't give them any money again if they scupper this. Cunts.

So all leagues have passed it except for the championship where there is 7 votes for but they need 8 and await the 1 result.

Shenanigans making that public.

Who are the late voters?

So all leagues have passed it except for the championship where there is 7 votes for but they need 8 and await the 1 result.

Shenanigans making that public.

Who are the late voters?

I bet it's that prick at Alloa.