SPFL Clubs to Vote - Page 13 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

SPFL Clubs to Vote

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I look it up, is it a scab-free production?

Interviewed by Gerry McDade but the volunteer is putting it out in podcast form later. So make sure you watch it on YouTube so you deprive him of the ratings.

MacKinnon talks at length to justify the necessity for social media output without actually saying why he didn’t just keep a member of staff off of furlough in order that the job can be done, instead of using an opportunist that’s shamelessly looking to use this horrible disease for his own gain.

Only if you give scab a meaning that it doesn't have. But sure.

Using pedantry and semantics to justify undermining other people's jobs at at time when they're under threat is scab behaviour and therefore scab logic. No one's suggesting there's a strike in progress.

Using pedantry and semantics to justify undermining other people's jobs at at time when they're under threat is scab behaviour and therefore scab logic. No one's suggesting there's a strike in progress.

A scab is a strikebreaker. There’s a million miles between the club asking employees to go into furlough and - within the scope of the rules - the employer reallocating some functions on the one hand and employees taking action against an employer and being undermined on the other. Whatever the guy is, he’s not a scab.

Only if you give scab a meaning that it doesn't have. But sure.

A 'scab' is a term used for a replacement worker or substitute worker. Someone who volunteers to do the work for free which an employee on furlough was doing, is deserving of the term 'scab'.

*insert signature here*

A 'scab' is a term used for a replacement worker or substitute worker...

...brought in to undermine a strike. The furlough scheme allows for certain functions to be reallocated (and leaves it to the employer to determine which functions are critical), it allows for volunteers to do work (as well as for furloughed workers to take up employment/volunteer elsewhere). It’s fundamentally different. To accuse him of being a scab is to dilute the term of real meaning or to use it for the sake of it when really all you mean to do is to insult him.

...brought in to undermine a strike. The furlough scheme allows for certain functions to be reallocated (and leaves it to the employer to determine which functions are critical), it allows for volunteers to do work (as well as for furloughed workers to take up employment/volunteer elsewhere). It’s fundamentally different. To accuse him of being a scab is to dilute the term of real meaning or to use it for the sake of it when really all you mean to do is to insult him.

Whether I wish to insult anyone is neither here nor there.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/scab

The term originates from meaning 'unpleasant person' back in the 1500s, and rather than diluting the term of real meaning I am perhaps closer to its original definition, as someone volunteering to do the work of a furloughed employee for free and then using the role to further your own selfish aims is befitting of the term 'scab'.

Better luck next time, Champ. ;)

*insert signature here*

Whether I wish to insult anyone is neither here nor there.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/scab

The term originates from meaning 'unpleasant person' back in the 1500s, and rather than diluting the term of real meaning I am perhaps closer to its original definition, as someone volunteering to do the work of a furloughed employee for free and then using the role to further your own selfish aims is befitting of the term 'scab'.

Better luck next time, Champ. ;)

Terrible patter.

Scab is an insult, not an HR definition. I assume you're after some sort of voluntary position yourself?

He is wishing to use the narrowest definition for a word which has a broad meaning. And failing at it too. :)

*insert signature here*

Agreed. It's a loaded word (rightly so), and it doesn't really apply here. As I said before, the guy's a bit of a walloper but "scab" is pushing it.

AWMSC

Archived