SPFL Clubs to Vote - Page 12 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

SPFL Clubs to Vote

Was that officially part of the motion that was voted on ? There's been a lot of talk of it, but I haven't saw anything that says it was part of what was voted on: if it was, I stand corrected; if not, then there's not really much grounds for griping after the fact.

I think it'd be extremely dubious if the lower league clubs voted to finish the season as is, only for the top flight ones to try to rail-road through an expansion. The top team being promoted is fair enough as we know there's only one guaranteed promotion place, but to then totally change the way the reward structure and allow the second place team to go up too? That'd be completely unfair and (at least in my opinion) would completely change the complexion of the initial vote.

None of this is ideal at all and I'm not particularly a fan of it, but it's (just about) the least unfair solution. It's a horrible over-used phrase in Scottish football these days, but to start changing league sizes to (fairly explicitly, given that Budge has been allowed to head the committee) suit a few clubs only - who aren't anywhere close to as big a deal as they think they are - would be the end of any notion of "sporting integrity".

Specifically on Hearts, they've been digging their own grave for several seasons with that bawbag Levein in charge before appointing some other diddy as his replacement. It seems a bit late for them to start squealing about not wanting to get relegated, to be honest.

Reconstruction wasn’t part of the resolution itself but the SPFL told clubs that if the resolution was passed - which obviously is now the case - it would consult them on the possibility/shape of reconstruction for the 20/21 season, so it was an important part of the context in which votes were cast. That consultation has now become a working group as a result of the Dundee faff.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Right, we've looked at reconstruction and decided not to do it because the current setup is fine and we're only thinking about it because Hearts and Thistle are mad that they spunked a load of money on a duff squad. Same again next year, lads."

There, job done. Unless someone comes up with something truly monumental, not just bumping the crap teams up a level to keep them quiet, that should be the working group's recommendation.

EOho8Pw.png

"Right, we've looked at reconstruction and decided not to do it because the current setup is fine and we're only thinking about it because Hearts and Thistle are mad that they spunked a load of money on a duff squad. Same again next year, lads."

There, job done. Unless someone comes up with something truly monumental, not just bumping the crap teams up a level to keep them quiet, that should be the working group's recommendation.

The working group has Budge on it so the chances of a recommendation to that effect are slim, but her presence also makes the prospect of success of whatever recommendation they come up with highly unlikely anyway. She'll probably propose chucking League Two clubs out of the SPFL then complain about self-interest when they don't vote in favour.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Reconstruction wasn’t part of the resolution itself but the SPFL told clubs that if the resolution was passed - which obviously is now the case - it would consult them on the possibility/shape of reconstruction for the 20/21 season, so it was an important part of the context in which votes were cast. That consultation has now become a working group as a result of the Dundee faff.

Fair enough, but given the bigger context is the circus of Scottish football then I doubt a vague promise to look at something holds a great deal of water. As Trvmp says, it’s fairly easy to pay lip-service then reject it.

AWMSC

Hearts, Partick and Stranraer are in the relegation positions for a reason and I have no sympathy for any of them. None of them would be whining if it was 3 other clubs in that position. Get them to fvck 

The key point is that reconstruction is (or at least should be) forward-looking. This "reconstruction" will instead almost certainly be jerry-rigged to benefit Hearts primarily.

If we're that worried about the relegated clubs, we could work out some kind of extra parachute payment (although where that money comes from, I'm not sure), but rebuilding the leagues to accommodate them is so short-sighted that I can't believe it's being taken seriously.

EOho8Pw.png

Watching a Thistle fan on Twitter on some sort of disjointed rant about Morton’s debt and that Championship teams should ha e stuck together. To what end is unclear, but always fun to watch their fans’ toys come out the pram in a self-righteous tantrum.

AWMSC

The possibility of reconstruction has been part of the package since the resolution was tabled - what Dundee achieved was turning that from a vague statement of intent to a practical commitment in the form of a working group. And in my opinion that’s fair - for me any starting point is that a club shouldn’t be in a worse of position as a result of the early termination this year than they were at the start of the season. I’d love to see Hearts come down personally - it’s in our financial interests and I’ve never been to Tynecastle - but I think there’s a fundamental unfairness in Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer being relegated that isn’t equivalent to Rangers losing out on a title or Morton missing out on a play off.

They're not, though. They're in a worse position because they've been fucking shite.

The knock on consequences of this are either we remain with 14 teams in the Premiership, a number that leaves the top and bottom half playing unequal numbers of games or teams sitting out matchdays, or we've got three, possibly four teams getting relegated from ten team divisions next season.

I'm afraid Partick and Falkirk fans spitting the dummy is far preferable to those scenarios. Dunning's put it a lot better than I could, but if someone's got to suffer (and someone does) it's got to be the teams that have been either shite or not good enough up to this point.

League reconstruction's purpose should be to improve the league, not to appease some spoilt brats who can't take that a once in a lifetime set of circumstances has happened at the point in history that they've been crap. And the league set up at the moment has been it's most stable in our lifetime.

The key point is that reconstruction is (or at least should be) forward-looking. This "reconstruction" will instead almost certainly be jerry-rigged to benefit Hearts primarily.

If we're that worried about the relegated clubs, we could work out some kind of extra parachute payment (although where that money comes from, I'm not sure), but rebuilding the leagues to accommodate them is so short-sighted that I can't believe it's being taken seriously.

We should be completely binning parachute payments. They create an inequality in divisions and are almost a reward for failure. I think I'm correct in saying too that they only apply to clubs relegated from the Premiership and from League Two. If clubs can't cope financially with the impact of relegation (and remember all of these clubs in this instance aren't being sent down from a position that it was unlikely to happen under normal circumstances anyway) then hell mend them.

Parachute payments should've been history when the leagues merged in 2013.

A huge 2-year churn of promotion and relegation might be sold to lower league clubs as an opportunity but theres no way the Premiership will go for it. A bottom 7/8 with 3/4 relegation slots opens up a big risk for clubs who would never have much chance of going down.

They're not, though. They're in a worse position because they've been fucking shite.

The knock on consequences of this are either we remain with 14 teams in the Premiership, a number that leaves the top and bottom half playing unequal numbers of games or teams sitting out matchdays, or we've got three, possibly four teams getting relegated from ten team divisions next season.

I'm afraid Partick and Falkirk fans spitting the dummy is far preferable to those scenarios. Dunning's put it a lot better than I could, but if someone's got to suffer (and someone does) it's got to be the teams that have been either shite or not good enough up to this point.

League reconstruction's purpose should be to improve the league, not to appease some spoilt brats who can't take that a once in a lifetime set of circumstances has happened at the point in history that they've been crap. And the league set up at the moment has been it's most stable in our lifetime.

That’s probably where we’ll end up - it’s hard to see 14-10-10-10 getting the votes it needs to pass. Not impossible - for example, Sky might weigh in heavily in its favour if it decides it wants an Edinburgh derby, but I don’t think they care all that much beyond the broadcast of four OF matches.

The possibility of reconstruction has been part of the package since the resolution was tabled - what Dundee achieved was turning that from a vague statement of intent to a practical commitment in the form of a working group.

Erm no, Dundee have achieved the square root of nothing here. Their goal (as per their local mouthpiece newspaper just three days ago) was to secure 'a written commitment to reconstruction'. Having an advisory committee set up is not that.

And in my opinion that’s fair - for me any starting point is that a club shouldn’t be in a worse of position as a result of the early termination this year than they were at the start of the season.

This isn't one of your shan, Community Trust futsal sessions; it is a professional sport in which having both winners and losers is the entire fucking point of the exercise.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

This isn't one of your shan, Community Trust futsal sessions; it is a professional sport in which having both winners and losers is the entire fucking point of the exercise.

Still though, a nice obsession you’ve got yourself there.

Hearts can fuck off with the unfairness pish.

They have played each of their 3 main relegation rivals since the winter break and failed to beat any of them, most notably the bottom of the table relegation 6 pointer against St Mitten in the last game before shutdown.

Had they won that (by a couple of goals) rather than putting in another pathetic performance en route to another defeat, they wouldn't even be in this conversation as St Mitten would have been bottom right now.

Wonder if Budge would have been bleating and moaning then?

Get them rightfully doon.

That being your organisation's only claim to relevance since your big Geordie mate got huckled out of SInclair Street eleven months ago.

4B61F62E-7626-4D2E-BE62-3A31CBEC845E.jpe

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That comeback doesn't actually make any sense in this context champ, try again.

Or better yet, don't bother.

Erm no, Dundee have achieved the square root of nothing here. Their goal (as per their local mouthpiece newspaper just three days ago) was to secure 'a written commitment to reconstruction'. Having an advisory committee set up is not that.

That being your organisation's only claim to relevance since your big Geordie mate got huckled out of SInclair Street eleven months ago.

4B61F62E-7626-4D2E-BE62-3A31CBEC845E.jpe

And yet here you are.

That comeback doesn't actually make any sense in this context champ, try again.

Or better yet, don't bother.

Look forward to your next obsession fuelled exchange! Take care.

:lol: :lol:

Absolutely brilliant.

:thumbup2:

*insert signature here*

Archived