Morton Moment You Would Relive if You Could - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Moment You Would Relive if You Could

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about including that game, but Thomas O'Ware ending up the hero of the day sours the memory, given that he's a cunt.

I'd say the "abuse" that day was almost completely one sided, from them to us. I was nightshift after that game so it was somewhat ruined for me as I couldn't go out to the pubs, but you could tell that it was the biggest day in their history- every wee fanny in the town came out for the big boys coming to town, and they were going to show us who was boss. 6-0.

Watching them hurling abuse at us from that enclosure as we walked out the ground after a routine win was amazing- rather than being intimidated, we were photographing them, such was the nick of them. If they wanted to get to us, they had plenty of opportunity, too. Ali Sami Yen it was not.

That said, "You're shite, and your big team died" is the greatest song the Morton support have ever come up with, far superior to "Two Andy Gorams".

Stayed in Beith then the shithole town next to it till about 7pm that day. Think the game was a 1/half 1 kick off.

Rangers 0 Morton 1

Early 80s. Andy Ritchie misses the game with an injury and everyone wrote us off. Tolmie and McNeil were fantastic that day.

Morton 5 Hearts 2 (or maybe 3)

Late 70s in our promotion winning season. It was us, Hearts and Dundee fighting for two promotion places. Tommy Veitch and Andy Ritchie were the stars of a great team performance that boosted our promotion chances and knocked the wind out of Hearts promotion challenge.

- Templeman's 2nd v Killie.

- Kev Finlayson's strike away at Partick in the Wake rescue season.

- The reaction of the mutant hordes in the 2-2 at ibrox.

- The buzz before kickoff at the Peterhead game. There were plenty of nerves that day but it's the closest I've felt to pure optimism as a Morton fan.

A few that we haven't mentioned yet; 

Inverness 0-2 Morton. We'd been on a trip to Skye the night before, so I was hanging out of my hoop, but our performance was excellent that day. The subsequent collapse afterwards takes the shine off it slightly.  

Kilmarnock 0-2 Morton. The day that cunt Quitongo burst onto the scene. Another excellent away performance and two very well taken goals. 

I quite enjoyed the frequent League Cup scuddings of Stranraer too.  

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Rangers 0 Morton 1

Early 80s. Andy Ritchie misses the game with an injury and everyone wrote us off. Tolmie and McNeil were fantastic that day.

Morton 5 Hearts 2 (or maybe 3)

Late 70s in our promotion winning season. It was us, Hearts and Dundee fighting for two promotion places. Tommy Veitch and Andy Ritchie were the stars of a great team performance that boosted our promotion chances and knocked the wind out of Hearts promotion challenge.

5-3 1978. Probably the best game I've seen both on and off the park. Cracking day all round.

Couple of others:

Morton 2 - 1 Dundee (23/01/99)

Owen Archdeacon scored an absolute screamer in a rain sodden January Scottish Cup tie. A great example of why we shouldn't have a summer season - what else is there, that brilliant, to do on a wet Saturday in January?

Partick Thistle 1 - 2 Morton (26/12/12)

Boxing Day. Second half comeback. Just a pity the way the season ended, but was brilliant at the time - we actually believed it was possible.

Morton 2-1 Ayr (21/3/15)

Losing 1-0 in the 90th minute. Winning 2-1.

Many other last minute goals could be added. There's been a couple at St Mirren in recent years.

One of the few pleasant memories from the relegation season - beating Dundee 1-0 at Cappielow the week after we were officially relegated. Charging right along the Cowshed to get it right up the big traveling support was absolutely outstanding. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

The two 2-0 wins at St. Johnstone and Dunfermline in the 95-96 season were fantastic.

At McDiarmid you could see that Lilley and Hawke were starting to link up whilst at EEP we put them in their box for the second time that season.

Winning the 1st Division at Airdrie in '87 was a terrific day out. God Bless Montrose.

Any of the wins against Dundee United at Cappielow in the late 70s plus the 1-0 win over Celtic in '78 where Roy Baines almost saved Ritchie's late penalty.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

One of the few pleasant memories from the relegation season - beating Dundee 1-0 at Cappielow the week after we were officially relegated. Charging right along the Cowshed to get it right up the big traveling support was absolutely outstanding.

Forgot about that. Tremendous scenes.

Couple of others:

Morton 2 - 1 Dundee (23/01/99)

Owen Archdeacon scored an absolute screamer in a rain sodden January Scottish Cup tie. A great example of why we shouldn't have a summer season - what else is there, that brilliant, to do on a wet Saturday in January?

Partick Thistle 1 - 2 Morton (26/12/12)

Boxing Day. Second half comeback. Just a pity the way the season ended, but was brilliant at the time - we actually believed it was possible.

Morton 2-1 Ayr (21/3/15)

Losing 1-0 in the 90th minute. Winning 2-1.

Many other last minute goals could be added. There's been a couple at St Mirren in recent years.

Ayr result was good but the Stenhousemuir one a few weeks later was even better. Think we were 2 down with 10 to go and won 3-2.

The amount of points we picked up from losing positions that season was ridiculous.

Ayr result was good but the Stenhousemuir one a few weeks later was even better. Think we were 2 down with 10 to go and won 3-2.

The amount of points we picked up from losing positions that season was ridiculous.

The Stenny game was the only one I went to that season. McManus with a late hat-trick. Incredible stuff.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived