Chinese Coronavirus threatens Dundee Utd game - Page 19 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Chinese Coronavirus threatens Dundee Utd game

capitanus

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really agree with some of the points but it would be nice to get updates like this.

https://eastfifefc.info/latest-news/792-club-statement-spfl-resolution-covid-19

Decent enough update and it would be nice if Morton would have been able to do something similar rather than cause bother with a volunteer nicking someone else’s job.

On their points I’m guessing that if they’re against relegating clubs without the season finishing then they’re against promoting them too?

here today, gone to hell

Is there any way to argue that providing running playlist videos is a breach of furlough conditions? Any way at all?

With the players being furloughed as well you would think no one from the club would have the right to ask them to film or do anything for the club's social media.

I had meant to reply to your post the other day, but decided on getting drunk instead and didn't have the strength to get into any great debate about it yesterday.

You might be correct about the club's role in this- I'm not sure that what they've done is unlawful, although I'd argue that finding out Aidan Nesbitt and Cameron Blues' favourite tunes certainly isn't essential. It's not something that'll be looked into though, as you say. I'd say it's against the spirit of the scheme.

I'll caveat my point the other day by saying that I did include the word "would" into my point about shameful behaviour. The club could still get the benefit of the doubt for their conduct here- that same courtesy however shouldn't be extended to their volunteer "Social Media Coordinator", whose list of misdemeanours is growing by the day.

;

• Taking the role in the first place, when a member of staff was already in the role and has been furloughed.
  • Facing criticism, he releases a statement on his website biting back at those who have been vociferous in condemnation of his behaviour- without having the courtesy, contrition, or self awareness to even consider the feelings of the victim in all this debacle. Nothing. And to my knowledge, he still hasn't acknowledged this.
  • The volunteer brings up Caroline Flack, Boris Johnson and the NHS in said statement. None of whom are relevant to the allegations that he has been opportunistic in taking someone else's role. Merely designed to shame folk into withdrawing their criticisms of him, regardless of how fair and relevant they are.
  • The club's Twitter profile becomes an ambulance chasing farce. Something that has never ever been the case under any previous stewardship of the social media channels. nothing better than some crocodile tears when you're under a bit of pressure.
  • In the midst of this, we have NO information from any official sources as to Morton's voting intentions in this week's SPFL vote. Only a tweet from Christopher Dodds from the Tele, and by working out through process of elimination have we managed to establish Morton's stance. Carrying out essential social media work? Good one.
  • Lifting work from Jonathan Mitchell and George Munro for the club's Facebook/Twitter updates. After being pulled up for it, he's not even acknowledged their complaints, nor their photographs.
  • Having taken over, and been made well aware of the reaction from some quarters to his conduct, he goes on to update his LinkedIn profile to advertise his new position at Morton- in spite of someone else actually being in that role.
  • Announces himself as "Social Media Coordinator"- a bit of a step up from "Media Assistant", which is what Morton have titled Ewan Boyle's position as (source- the club directory from the last home match programme v Arbroath). Who, in this time that everyone is on furlough decided to award our volunteer with what appears a more senior position than the guy he's covering for?
  • Last night's Twitter fiasco. Dreadful behaviour from Gerry Irvine to pounce on him in the midst of Gerry McHugh's sad passing, but the volunteer saw an opportunity and took it. His own Twitter feed taking screenshots of Gerry's previous tweets and reminding people to behave with class and decorum. Hypocrisy at it's finest. Dean and I confronted him on this today and were met with a bizarre reply relating to sexuality. Were I to label him a "****", I'd expect Morton themselves to be in contact regarding such an assault on their staff. Perhaps it's worth the club investigating their volunteers' attitudes towards their customers in reply to firm but relevant criticism. That his tweet was a bit more subtle doesn't detract from the message that it was conveying and it's purpose.

You may be correct about being a few steps ahead in judging the club's guilt here, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed with the volunteer. At every juncture, his conduct has been abhorrent.

Edited to skip the swear filter.

To update this one;

• Uses the club's official Twitter profile to retweet and promote his own podcast interview with Janne Lindberg, "dedicating" it to a guy he'd never previously met- a shameless display of ambulance chasing for his own gain which he expects nobody to challenge in light of his opportunistic claims to the moral high ground after his altercation with Gerry Irvine the previous night. 
  • When challenged about his behaviour after laughably having the temerity to criticise someone else's, and then pointing out the "class" Kelty and Bonnyrigg acted with in light of the Lowland League's decision to award Kelty the title, the tactic changes from "feeling like he's the worst person in the world" as per his appalling statement from last week, to mockery in the form of shite GIFs. When challenged on that, he greets it with silence. Does he think that this sort of reaction to pertinent questions from fans of the club he is representing is appropriate?

More to come over the next few days, I suspect.

There was an article in Sports Illustrated by an epidemiologist speculating that there will be no serious amount of sport (behind closed doors included) until there is a vaccine.

Whilst it is an American publication, and just the opinion of one scientist, if true - how would Morton (and so many other clubs) survive?

Obviously, it is unlikely that any of us on here would have any answers but its probably realistic to think that next season might not happen and certainly wont start in front of any meaningful crowds.

I read yesterday that Belgian club Lokeren have went bust.

They have indeed, it's actually astonishing how badly many Belgian clubs are run and are in deep financial trouble. Even before the coronavirus, clubs were going bankrupt on a pretty regular basis. Some of them were of a reasonable size and decent fan base as well, it's not just wee diddy clubs. So I'm pretty sure the coronavirus will push some more over the edge before we get back to playing football again. King Power who own my local have spent a huge amount of money on the stadium, infrastructure and squad to get promotion. If they don't get it this season (they lost the first leg of the promotion play-off 1-0 away to Beerschot before the coronavirus shut-down), I can see them cutting their losses and pulling the plug. Lokeren's demise was particularly rapid though, they won the Belgian Cup as recently as 2014, were only relegated from the top division in 2018, and they finished bottom of the 2nd division this season.  

Changed days indeed from your Reith Lecture series on how Morton could learn everything about commercial success and fan engagement from a tinpot club operating in a catchment area many times over that of Greater Greenock, playing in a stupid bin of a country like Belgium.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Changed days indeed from your Reith Lecture series on how Morton could learn everything about commercial success and fan engagement from a tinpot club operating in a catchment area many times over that of Greater Greenock, playing in a stupid bin of a country like Belgium.

They were actually pretty well run before King Power took over a couple years back. They've invested a relatively huge amount of money (their stadium, infrastructure and supporter base are comparable to any mid-table club in the top division), without so far gaining promotion. They claim they're in it for the long run, but I'm not entirely convinced.

And I've debunked your catchment area pish before, nice try though. :) The population of greater Leuven is ~100,000 (around 30,000 of whom are students with no previous connections to the city or team), which is not substantially more that the population of greater Greenock. 

You're right though about Belgium being a bit of a bin, but we're doing OK here and have got no intention of ever moving back to Scotland. 

Auchinleck Talbot have been named league winners despite only being 3rd in the table.

They sit 12 points behind Kilwinning but with NINE games in hand. :lol: 

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

They were actually pretty well run before King Power took over a couple years back. They've invested a relatively huge amount of money (their stadium, infrastructure and supporter base are comparable to any mid-table club in the top division), without so far gaining promotion. They claim they're in it for the long run, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Football is of course replete with clubs who were being so well run and on the level until one bad group of people took over and ruined everything - Dundee; Livingston; Rangers; Livingston and Dundee again - so this argument definitely seems legit.

And I've debunked your catchment area pish before, nice try though. :) The population of greater Leuven is ~100,000 (around 30,000 of whom are students with no previous connections to the city or team), which is not substantially more that the population of greater Greenock.

That's not the limit of their catchment area though, in the same way that Ross County's catchment area isn't restricted to Dingwall but rather incorporates a huge swathe of northern Scotland as well. As we have shown before, your bin town lies within an immediate catchment area of nearly half a million people - which would be the equivalent of Dunfermline Athetic being the only professional club for the entire bumpkin 'kingdom of Fife'. Greater Greenock's catchment area on the other hand is firmly bounded by Smackville and the two largest clubs in the country being half an hour's drive up the motorway and so your comparison is invalid.

Also loving the idea that having 30,000 young adults in town with nothing else to do with their time - Belgium being a total fucking bin - is somehow a terrible burden that your pointless local club has to overcome.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

To update this one;

• Uses the club's official Twitter profile to retweet and promote his own podcast interview with Janne Lindberg, "dedicating" it to a guy he'd never previously met- a shameless display of ambulance chasing for his own gain which he expects nobody to challenge in light of his opportunistic claims to the moral high ground after his altercation with Gerry Irvine the previous night.
  • When challenged about his behaviour after laughably having the temerity to criticise someone else's, and then pointing out the "class" Kelty and Bonnyrigg acted with in light of the Lowland League's decision to award Kelty the title, the tactic changes from "feeling like he's the worst person in the world" as per his appalling statement from last week, to mockery in the form of shite GIFs. When challenged on that, he greets it with silence. Does he think that this sort of reaction to pertinent questions from fans of the club he is representing is appropriate?
More to come over the next few days, I suspect.

It is *THE ONLY* place... I’d ever... want... TO BEEEEE!

Football is of course replete with clubs who were being so well run and on the level until one bad group of people took over and ruined everything - Dundee; Livingston; Rangers; Livingston and Dundee again - so this argument definitely seems legit.

That's not the limit of their catchment area though, in the same way that Ross County's catchment area isn't restricted to Dingwall but rather incorporates a huge swathe of northern Scotland as well. As we have shown before, your bin town lies within an immediate catchment area of nearly half a million people - which would be the equivalent of Dunfermline Athetic being the only professional club for the entire bumpkin 'kingdom of Fife'. Greater Greenock's catchment area on the other hand is firmly bounded by Smackville and the two largest clubs in the country being half an hour's drive up the motorway and so your comparison is invalid.

Also loving the idea that having 30,000 young adults in town with nothing else to do with their time - Belgium being a total fucking bin - is somehow a terrible burden that your pointless local club has to overcome.

Trust me, OHL's support base is limited to the city and immediate environs, i.e., ~100,000 people. But hey, I bow to your superior knowledge of the city and region I've lived and worked in for 13 years.  :lol:  :lol:

And if you think Leuven is a 'bin' town, you've obviously never visited it. It's actually a really nice city, full of architecturally stunning gothic and brabantine buildings. And being a student city it has a cracking nightlife, for those much younger then me, obviously, ha! Deego will back me up on that. :) Have a look at my Instagram account, you might be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.instagram.com/georgebrycephotography/

Archived