Chinese Coronavirus threatens Dundee Utd game - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Chinese Coronavirus threatens Dundee Utd game

capitanus

If all the funds currently coming out of DDs have already been committed to the club each month (bear in mind an increase in January was announced) then there won’t be an extra pool of funds to release right now. If this were happening in five or ten years’ time then you’d like to think there’d be some extra capital available for exactly this kind of situation, but MCT isn’t even twelve months old yet.

If money has to be raised then it could be publicised with MCT’s backing but I can’t see it being able to pick up any of the slack on its own.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't fault them for doing this. But speaking for myself, and not telling anyone else what to do, at this stage I'd feel very irresponsible putting money towards MCT when there's likely a full-blown recession around the corner.

EOho8Pw.png

Yeah I agree it's a no from me I already contribute to it all be it only £15 a month. With people finding themselves in an increasingly difficult situation n perhaps ending up not having money for rent bills loans mortgage and so on I would suggest the money that Mct already receive will be reduced as ppl choose food n heating over paying someone else's wages time the millionaire owners did the right thing instead of passing round the begging bowl to the fans.

If people genuinely think that we’ve got ‘millionaire owners’ willing or able to pick up the tab personally then we’ll be in serious trouble soon enough. That’s not what we’re dealing with here at all.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

If people genuinely think that we’ve got ‘millionaire owners’ willing or able to pick up the tab personally then we’ll be in serious trouble soon enough. That’s not what we’re dealing with here at all.

To their credit, MCT mentioned this in their website statement - that any increase in donations will also help build up their equity in the club. But if the Raes are looking for MCT to bridge a cash flow shortfall then MCT really have to play hardball here and demand more debt write-off and more equity in exchange for this. The Raes simply cannot hold the equity while socializing the losses. That's not how this works.

I don't have any inside info on MCT but I hope they're playing the long game here and putting the feelers out about consortium ownership.

EOho8Pw.png

To their credit, MCT mentioned this in their website statement - that any increase in donations will also help build up their equity in the club. But if the Raes are looking for MCT to bridge a cash flow shortfall then MCT really have to play hardball here and demand more debt write-off and more equity in exchange for this. The Raes simply cannot hold the equity while socializing the losses. That's not how this works.

I agree that there should be no bailout without something in return: that applies as much to GMFC as it does to that bearded tit Branson's airline company or any of the other masters of capitalism reaching for the begging bowl right now. But given that MCT hasn't actually reached the level of pledges needed to secure its agreement with the club yet (with its eventual shareholding being reduced accordingly IIRC) then it isn't in a position to start demanding a new arrangement: it first needs to fulfil its outstanding commitments to get its originally stated shareholding. If the initial amount of support requested by the club is breached at some point then there should be a second deal set up along similar lines but that seems to be a fair way off right now.

It's alarming to see the degree of complacency about the ownership of the club though, as if we're dealing with Michael Bloomberg here instead of some two bob, family-owned sweetie company in west central Scotland. Unless the general moron public of Great Britain are panic buying Half Pounders then they'll have bigger fish to fry and not much liquid capital to do even that. I'm not going to lose any sleep at all over some gormless, third generation Rae missing out on their inheritance, but if GC is not able to support the club's cashflow then someone else is going to have to step in eventually.

Raith have set up a just giving page, looking for £25k to tide them over.

I see they have raised just over £16k so far.

Raith have got some fucking brass neck to reach for the begging bowl at the moment, given that they've actually played two home games in March and have only had, erm, an away trip to Peterhead called off at the weekend. There's no current need for that club to receive donations then: this is just a cynical ploy to get their special pleading in first while anyone is still willing to listen. And if the government and the authorities' relief measures prove effective then they can waltz away with free money. I didn't think it was possible for that stupid wee club to fall even lower in my estimation, but here we are.

They should have all of their ill-gotten gains from this panhandling scheme deducted from the SPFL payments and shared among the other 41 members.

Sadly this is where we are at.

Yes a difficult time for all with companies and incomes under pressure.

I would ask that all sane non keyboard warriors consider if they can support the club in anyway.

Let's ditch the Rae issues Morton like other community clubs are at the edge.

I for one will give additional support.

I also respect the position that some are unable to help at this moment in time but would ask them to refrain from attacking the club and the Raes.

Please let us all stick together or we will sprint into old firm trophy chasers.

Sadly this is where we are at.

Yes a difficult time for all with companies and incomes under pressure.

I would ask that all sane non keyboard warriors consider if they can support the club in anyway.

Let's ditch the Rae issues Morton like other community clubs are at the edge.

I for one will give additional support.

I also respect the position that some are unable to help at this moment in time but would ask them to refrain from attacking the club and the Raes.

Please let us all stick together or we will sprint into old firm trophy chasers.

Nobody is at the edge much more then they would have been at this time. There has only been 1 week without a game.

The begging bowls are premature until we know what support will be coming at an institutional level, some of which has already started.

Nobody is at the edge much more then they would have been at this time. There has only been 1 week without a game.

The begging bowls are premature until we know what support will be coming at an institutional level, some of which has already started.

Realise there will be no football as we know it until Sept/Oct 2020.

Then consider where we are at and will be without income come Sept 2020.

I accept that you may delay your action until the situation becomes clear but don't expect the government to bail us out.

My experience in business is act now before the situation takes control. At least now we would be in control.

I am currently in Australia and hope there is still a Morton FC when I return if I can find a flight.

The government is already bailing out businesses with various levels of rates relief, payment holidays and effectively unlimited loans; the SFA are releasing licensing payments early though much more could be done with final league payments or support from FIFA down the line.

That doesn't mean that clubs will cope with the situation no bother but they need to be transparent as possible about what extra support they are looking for and what people would get in return. Having the AGM go ahead - perhaps with a restricted attendance - would actually have been helpful in that regard but they'll have to find another means of doing so.

Archived