Inverness v Morton - match thread - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Inverness v Morton - match thread

TRVMP

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at game. But when you take your striker off and replace him with defender what do you expect. He constantly tries to shore up at the end of games and invites teams to attack. That is why we lose so many late goals. Wake up hopkins. How many late goals do you need to concede before you attack for 90 minutes.

Well the results speak for themselves. It doesn't work. The same tactics invariably fail and we lose points.

We're much better when we press and harass all over the park. Done that against Ayr in the second half and never had any problems but sounds like tonight was the same as the Alloa game and inviting pressure onto a dodgy defence.

Another last minute boot in the baws. The January window has left us with our legs wide open.

Double boot in the baws for me.

Bet the 4 games in our division and Raith v Falkirk all to be draws (5 x fourfolds & 1 x fivefold) paying £2447.03

Will get £286.11 for 1 fourfold...gutted.

Double boot in the baws for me.

Bet the 4 games in our division and Raith v Falkirk all to be draws (5 x fourfolds & 1 x fivefold) paying £2447.03

Will get £286.11 for 1 fourfold...gutted.

Ouch, that's horrendous.

Was there not a cash out?

Gutted for you.

We're much better when we press and harass all over the park. Done that against Ayr in the second half and never had any problems but sounds like tonight was the same as the Alloa game and inviting pressure onto a dodgy defence.

Like in the Alloa game where we conceded the third goal after McGinty lost the ball in the opposition half, Tumilty had gone AWOL at the back, and with one well-placed long pass splitting open the remaining defence (well, Baird)?

We concede when we press, we concede when we sit back. Any denial of this is a denial of the simple facts of the goals that we have conceded this season. We lose the ball in silly areas, we fail to defend set pieces properly, we get caught on the break, we crumble under pressure - we concede all sorts of goals, in all sorts of situations.

Like in the Alloa game where we conceded the third goal after McGinty lost the ball in the opposition half, Tumilty had gone AWOL at the back, and with one well-placed long pass splitting open the remaining defence (well, Baird)?

We concede when we press, we concede when we sit back. Any denial of this is a denial of the simple facts of the goals that we have conceded this season. We lose the ball in silly areas, we fail to defend set pieces properly, we get caught on the break, we crumble under pressure - we concede all sorts of goals, in all sorts of situations.

That's fair enough. I do wonder if there is a psychological aspect to the backs-to-the-wall approach but that's impossible to prove.

EOho8Pw.png

If you have a defence that are going to make mistakes then they are more likely to make them if they have more work to do. Sitting back and trying to see out games means they have more work. Any denial of this is a denial of simple facts.

If you have a defence that are going to make mistakes then they are more likely to make them if they have more work to do. Sitting back and trying to see out games means they have more work. Any denial of this is a denial of simple facts.

Except it's not - and that's also completely besides the point that I'm making. It depends on a number of factors, including the actual defensive weaknesses of the team. Our horror show of a defence in 13/14 kept out Celtic for 120 minutes by doing very little except defending their box. Last season is another example of having some terrible defenders and going with a deep back 5 to try to combat that. JJ had no clue how to open up a bit without us conceding goals - but we didn't concede very many when we sat back and played defensively. But this is not the point that I was making. We didn't sit deep against Alloa until after the 3rd goal. We've got the worst defensive record in the league, and a decent part of that has been to do with taking too many risks and opening up too much.

I don't want to be misunderstood here. I'm not advocating bringing on an extra defender and sitting back. My point is that we've not been good enough at defending in any scenario.

Against Alloa is the perfect example. At a point when we were actually trying to push forward and press, we ended up with McGinty trying to do that very thing in the opposition half and losing the ball. With Tumilty also pressing up the pitch, a long pass down the right channel exposed Baird and got Alloa back into the game. We then panicked, sat much deeper, and conceded again because we're just not that great with balls into the box. I don't think any time in that game was the right time to sit really deep and invite pressure, but we also shouldn't have been opening up and taking risks like we did.

We're not finding the right balance, and the biggest part of it, imo, is simply not having enough players who are good enough at defending. We lack a decent defensive instinct on an individual and collective level.

The problem against Alloa wasn't just individual mistakes though it was that the team were instructed to sit back when we were under very little pressure before so mistakes were always going to come. Whether that mistake was when we were sitting back or a rare push up the park isn't the biggest factor here.

I wasn't there tonight but from the sounds of it (and by bringing on a defender) it seems like we done the same and tried to absorb pressure when we're not capable of doing it and the defenders we have will have a lapse in concentration at some point.

The problem against Alloa wasn't just individual mistakes though it was that the team were instructed to sit back when we were under very little pressure before so mistakes were always going to come. Whether that mistake was when we were sitting back or a rare push up the park isn't the biggest factor here.

I wasn't there tonight but from the sounds of it (and by bringing on a defender) it seems like we done the same and tried to absorb pressure when we're not capable of doing it and the defenders we have will have a lapse in concentration at some point.

Alloa barely threatened our box in that second half before the goal. They had a couple of long range efforts, but we didn't have much in the way of pressure to deal with. I don't think Alloa even had a corner in the match. It was nothing like a sit deep and defend match. We came out in the second half on the front foot, and should have extended the lead, but slowly began to become less threatening.

Then we conceded, pretty much out of nowhere, because we took risks going forward. First Nesbitt cutting inside and losing the ball. Then McGinty coming forward and losing the ball. And Tumilty had committed himself forward as well. It wasn't an exception in the half, we had generally pressed forward. We shouldn't have been sitting back inviting pressure (which at no point before the third goal we did) but we should have managed the match better, i.e., don't start compounding risks in that position - there was just no need.

This is the issue here. We defended well for 90 odd minutes against Dundee Utd, but then someone forgets to mark the back post (not a surprise) and we lose a goal at the end. Against Alloa we came out attacking, but lose 2 goals from Alloa being up the pitch twice. We're not finding the balance and we're don't not defending well enough individually and as a team.

Again, I'm not advocating sitting back deep. The sub tonight sounded like just about the worst thing to do in that position. But that's not what happened against Alloa, and is not the big issue with the team. They will concede either way.

Archived