Inverness v Morton - match thread - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Inverness v Morton - match thread

TRVMP

Leaving the tactics to one side for the moment, individually our defenders are not good enough. It was an obvious weakness in our squad coming into the January transfer window, yet somehow by the end of the window our defence was even weaker. We are paying the price for piss poor recruitment.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alloa barely threatened our box in that second half before the goal. They had a couple of long range efforts, but we didn't have much in the way of pressure to deal with. I don't think Alloa even had a corner in the match. It was nothing like a sit deep and defend match. We came out in the second half on the front foot, and should have extended the lead, but slowly began to become less threatening.

Then we conceded, pretty much out of nowhere, because we took risks going forward. First Nesbitt cutting inside and losing the ball. Then McGinty coming forward and losing the ball. And Tumilty had committed himself forward as well. It wasn't an exception in the half, we had generally pressed forward. We shouldn't have been sitting back inviting pressure (which at no point before the third goal we did) but we should have managed the match better, i.e., don't start compounding risks in that position - there was just no need.

This is the issue here. We defended well for 90 odd minutes against Dundee Utd, but then someone forgets to mark the back post (not a surprise) and we lose a goal at the end. Against Alloa we came out attacking, but lose 2 goals from Alloa being up the pitch twice. We're not finding the balance and we're don't not defending well enough individually and as a team.

Again, I'm not advocating sitting back deep. The sub tonight sounded like just about the worst thing to do in that position. But that's not what happened against Alloa, and is not the big issue with the team. They will concede either way.

Against Alloa we did the exact aame thing.We took Cadden off and replaced him with Miller,striker for defensive midfielder.We then aat back and let them bombard our goal.We do this nearly every game.

I said at the time that the Millar substitution didn't help, but that's mostly because Millar has been so poor.

Don't forget that for the start of the second half we brought on Orsi for McAlister, so we were already a forward up by that point. We absolutely pushed forward at the start of the second half.

The thing is, we still got caught out by taking too many risks and leaving ourselves exposed at the back when we had no need to, even with Millar on. That wasn't because we sat back - Alloa had offered nothing but long range efforts up till that point.

Hoppy can't find a balance in the team between one which leaves itself exposed at the back and one that can't soak up enough pressure. As others have pointed out, at the heart of this is a recruitment issue.

Most of the wailing about last night on this thread is ridiculous. Firstly, no manager, with the exception of Jose Mourinho at the Nou Camp against the best passing side in world football, actually instructs their team to just sit deep and hope not to concede. You get forced into defending deep while the other side are dominating the game: that's the natural - and usually correct - reaction to not having the ball. The only way to stop that happening is to get a grip on the match, which given that we were playing poorly all night required substitutes.

Bringing on McLean was absolutely the correct call. We had got an equaliser out of pretty much nothing away to the second best team in the league: there was no prior siege on the Inverness goal that we called off after scoring. Inverness had meanwhile thrown on Keatings and Aaron Doran on from the bench - two of the most effective forwards at this level - as well as that big carthorse Todorov who always has a field day against our crap defence. That crap defence was both far more tired than the three fresh Inverness forwards and had already chucked in a goal about 0.4 seconds after we got back in the game the first time round. There can be absolutely no question about this then: we needed an extra central defender to deal with that obvious threat and to give ourselves a realistic chance of getting a point from the game. If we had left it to our starting back four to see the game out then Inverness would have scored at least one more goal in normal time.

The call that can be questioned - and only with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight - is swapping Nesbitt for McGuffie earlier in the second half. At 2-2 we'd ideally have put on either a forward to provide a better focal point than Cadden or a fresher midfielder to genuinely compete for and use the ball better in the middle of the park: therefore breaking the dominance that Inverness had on the game in the closing stages. We didn't have that option though because we had already burned out a sub on swapping wingers.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The bottom line is that we've played nine league matches in 2020 and won four, drawn four and lost our first one last night, at a ground where we've got an abysmal record, in the 92nd minute. So I for one am prepared to look at the big picture right now and say that we're actually doing pretty well. Last night's performance was below-par - not abysmal - and on reflection that's hardly too surprising given that we've played four games in the space of eleven days with mostly the same starting lineup. The task is to continue this form going into the final quarter instead of having a meltdown about in which minute of the game precisely we conceded a goal.

There are however three areas of the park that still need to be worked on if we are going to be legit play-off contenders in this or any other campaign:

Central defence: Baird and McGinty struggled against White throughout the game and gave him too many chances to knock the ball down - unchallenged - for other players to run on to. That's their entire gameplan so you need to compete more effectively. And while they're not the sole culprits, they should take the lion's share of the fault for the lack of basic organisation at the second goal. Our goals conceded record shows that this isn't just a bad day at the office: it simply isn't good enough.

Central midfield: We badly missed Jacobs to support the centre backs in stopping their carthorse centre forward and to win loose balls and challenges in the middle of the park. Our midfield spent most of the game earnestly shuttling from one side to another like a table football set without trying to tackle and win the ball back. Blues can cover the required ground but offers nothing in the way of winning the ball or doing something with it.

Centre forward: Orsi was completely marked out of the game by a makeshift Inverness defence and so we played like one of those late season Duffy teams with Oyenuga or John Baird earnestly jobbing along up front every week. If you want a hard worker in the team to start these bigger games then fine, but as soon as you go behind you need someone like McHugh on instead to give you a genuine threat of scoring goals. Hopefully we'll swap the two around for the Arbroath game on Saturday.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Are we missing the point that if you take a striker off to hold on for a point or a win then the opposition will feel they have no option but to attack, in the knowledge we’re not going to threaten their goal. Anyone who’s played the game regularly will know that usually results in a shift of momentum which usually ends up with a late goal. If you hand a half decent side the initiative they will invariably take it.

Are we missing the point that if you take a striker off to hold on for a point or a win then the opposition will feel they have no option but to attack, in the knowledge we’re not going to threaten their goal.

1) They had no option to attack because they were the home side chasing promotion and going to win the game against some midtable gang (from their perspective).

2) They had already committed to this by throwing on two fresh forwards at 2-1 - Doran and Todorov - as well as bringing Keatings on in the 79th minute, before we made brought on McLean (82mins). They had no subs left, their only option was to go forward and so our decision was a response to this.

Inverness were going to push for a home winner regardless of whether we put Robbie Muirhead on the park because they're not a complete joke of an outfit.

Anyone who’s played the game regularly will know that usually results in a shift of momentum which usually ends up with a late goal.

In which decade and at what level did you 'play the game regularly' and what relevance does it have to a professional football match in 2020?

Let me answer the last part of that for you right now: it's none.

The person making the decisions in the dugout meanwhile is an ex-pro who played at a hell of a higher level and much more recently than you; what's amusing of course is that Hopkin's 'fitba man' experience has been rolled out to justify just about decision he has made since being appointed, but is now suddenly forgotten as soon as it doesn't reflect the nonsense opinion of braying old pub bores like yourself. You really can't have it both ways here.

And there's also absolutely zero statistical evidence for your claim, so I think we can safely file your 'tales from the blaize park' anecdote in the bin where it belongs then.

If you hand a half decent side the initiative they will invariably take it.

Inverness already had the initiative, by virtue of being the better team throughout the second half of the match and having fresh and highly capable players available to bring on from the bench as well. Without at least two substitutions available to deal with those issues then the only question is whether you let the existing Morton side fold straightaway or shore it up defensively to try and escape with a point.

Oh and you'd think that Orsi was playing like some Ján Koller powerhouse last night given the ripped knitting on here about the 'loss' of a non-existent focal point.

Three terrible goals to lose, the last one especially. If only we had Gunning single-handedly anchoring our defence again, what could’ve been.

I think we (should) be fine when it comes to relegation, but we’re just nowhere near consistent or solid enough to be in the playoffs. We’ll probably finish 5th again and given how bleak things looked only a couple of months ago, that isn’t too bad.

Thought Rogers looked as if he was struggling a bit. I don't know if that contributed to any of the goals, but from the highlights it looked as if he was a wee bit immobile. Hope we don't end up with Ramsbottom on Saturday.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Thought Rogers looked as if he was struggling a bit. I don't know if that contributed to any of the goals, but from the highlights it looked as if he was a wee bit immobile. Hope we don't end up with Ramsbottom on Saturday.

I suspect Ramsbottom hopes we don't end up with Ramsbottom on Saturday.

1) They had no option to attack because they were the home side chasing promotion and going to win the game against some midtable gang (from their perspective).

2) They had already committed to this by throwing on two fresh forwards at 2-1 - Doran and Todorov - as well as bringing Keatings on in the 79th minute, before we made brought on McLean (82mins). They had no subs left, their only option was to go forward and so our decision was a response to this.

Inverness were going to push for a home winner regardless of whether we put Robbie Muirhead on the park because they're not a complete joke of an outfit.

In which decade and at what level did you 'play the game regularly' and what relevance does it have to a professional football match in 2020?

Let me answer the last part of that for you right now: it's none.

The person making the decisions in the dugout meanwhile is an ex-pro who played at a hell of a higher level and much more recently than you; what's amusing of course is that Hopkin's 'fitba man' experience has been rolled out to justify just about decision he has made since being appointed, but is now suddenly forgotten as soon as it doesn't reflect the nonsense opinion of braying old pub bores like yourself. You really can't have it both ways here.

And there's also absolutely zero statistical evidence for your claim, so I think we can safely file your 'tales from the blaize park' anecdote in the bin where it belongs then.

Inverness already had the initiative, by virtue of being the better team throughout the second half of the match and having fresh and highly capable players available to bring on from the bench as well. Without at least two substitutions available to deal with those issues then the only question is whether you let the existing Morton side fold straightaway or shore it up defensively to try and escape with a point.

Oh and you'd think that Orsi was playing like some Ján Koller powerhouse last night given the ripped knitting on here about the 'loss' of a non-existent focal point.

Most of your response mirrors my point, although you used a lot more words to say it,

If you’re a cretin who doesn’t understand the English language, sure.

Archived