Koronavirus - Page 7 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Koronavirus

capitanus

The dangers of being an entrepot economy. In good times, things are really fucking good. When international traffic is rare and greeted by gunsight, less so.

I don't know how things are going to shake out but I hope it's with an eye towards localism.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what was your genius prognostication? Nothing at all, as far as I can see. Maybe you were silently preparing for this since mid-January. (I was.) Maybe you had a mental model for this long before the word pandemic re-entered the public consciousness. (I sure as hell didn't. Prior to mid-January my household was better prepared for an EMP attack than it was a bio-threat, which is much like someone in New Orleans preparing for an alien invasion instead of a flood. In other words, tilting at windmills as the levee begins to subside.)

For LT, the penny has dropped since then. No point in playing "I told you so" at this stage. (That comes later.) Right now you two are, in a global sense, bunkmates. My sincere advice is to start thinking that way.

I'm feeling rather fortunate that I'm in Singapore rather than in Europe. The Government were pro-active in adopting preventative measures were definitely ahead of the curve in doing so. The challenge we're facing at the moment is that the majority of new cases are being imported by Singaporeans and working residents returning from elsewhere in the world. There were 47 new cases reported over the last 3 days, of which 39 of them travelled into Singapore from elsewhere.

Lots of flights to and from Singapore are being delayed and cancelled to try and curb this, which could be a pain in the arse for trying to get back to Scotland for a holiday in the summer.

What is the Toilet Roll situation like where you are?

*insert signature here*

The dangers of being an entrepot economy. In good times, things are really fucking good. When international traffic is rare and greeted by gunsight, less so.

I don't know how things are going to shake out but I hope it's with an eye towards localism.

Couldn't agree more.

Been in lock-down for over a week now, and I've got to say, it ain't a barrel of laughs. Going to be a very, very tough few months, not looking forward to it at all.

Have to say though, as far as I can tell, it's been pretty much universally respected, here at least. Went shopping yesterday, they restricted the number of people allowed in the supermarket at one time, and everyone inside respected each other's space. No cash transactions, payment by card only, and checkout staff protected by perspex screens. I preferred to use manual checkout rather then use the touchscreens on the self-checkout aisles - the checkout operators cleaned their hands with alcohol gel after each customer. 

Just a tiny insight into what you guys have in front of you.

Mainland Europe was IMO about 2 weeks too late in introducing these draconian measures, meaning that the UK is now about a month too late. I just hope that extended delay doesn't prove to be too catastrophic. 

Been in lock-down for over a week now, and I've got to say, it ain't a barrel of laughs. Going to be a very, very tough few months, not looking forward to it at all.

Have to say though, as far as I can tell, it's been pretty much universally respected, here at least. Went shopping yesterday, they restricted the number of people allowed in the supermarket at one time, and everyone inside respected each other's space. No cash transactions, payment by card only, and checkout staff protected by perspex screens. I preferred to use manual checkout rather then use the touchscreens on the self-checkout aisles - the checkout operators cleaned their hands with alcohol gel after each customer. 

Just a tiny insight into what you guys have in front of you.

Mainland Europe was IMO about 2 weeks too late in introducing these draconian measures, meaning that the UK is now about a month too late. I just hope that extended delay doesn't prove to be too catastrophic.

How can you go shopping if you are in lockdown? Surely thats a contradiction?

*insert signature here*

Locals or out of towners? It’s completely irresponsible for Glaswegians or Ayrshire scheme goblins to be swanning off on a day trip - particularly if using public transport - but we’re not quite in a stay indoors lockdown yet. It’s understandable that people want to get outside (not least given it’s the first weekend it’s not been pishing down in 6 months) and offers genuine health benefits as well but if everyone has the same location in mind then it becomes a big problem. Apparently there were hundreds if not thousands of folk all climbing Conic Hill at Loch Lomond today, which is completely stupid behaviour all round. It’s too fucking obvious a destination to expect to have that idea all to yourself.

By all accounts the Cut centre was busy as well today but if doing it alone instead of in a big group and using some less popular tracks then it should be okay for now.

I was working in the van so I'm not sure but from what I gather it was mainly day trippers as the coast road down was mobbed.

Inexplicably Quillys fairground was open and families were all huddled together eating ice creams and fish suppers.

Not nice when kids murder their grandparents through adult irresponsibility.

We already have four posties off with coronavirus.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

How can you go shopping if you are in lockdown? Surely thats a contradiction?

Grocery shopping is allowed, obviously, but with the restrictions I described. Apart from food shops, supermarkets and chemists, everything else is closed.

You're still allowed to go for a walk, jog and cycle with members of the same household, as long as you respect the social contact rules. In fact, they actively encourage it, for good of long term physical and mental health.

Grocery shopping is allowed, obviously, but with the restrictions I described. Apart from food shops, supermarkets and chemists, everything else is closed.

You're still allowed to go for walks, jogging and cycling with members of the same household, as long as you respect the social contact rules. In fact, they actively encourage it, for good of long term physical and mental health.

That's not too bad I suppose, I could cope with that. I thought that the lockdown meant that everyone was basically living like Julian Assange.

*insert signature here*

What is the Toilet Roll situation like where you are?

Just as normal. You can only buy packs of 12 rolls at a time in the supermarkets, but the shelves are fully stocked. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Looking from the outside in, the way the general public in the UK is reacting to this crisis seems to be bizarrely contradictory, On the one hand, there's the gross overreaction with panic buying and the emptying of supermarket shelves, but on the other hand a lot of people still don't seem to be getting the message about avoiding all social interaction. Weird.

It’s not contradictory at all when you recall that selfish consumer individualism has been the high religion of British society for the last forty years.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It’s not contradictory at all when you recall that selfish consumer individualism has been the high religion of British society for the last forty years.

What is your Toilet Roll situation like?

*insert signature here*

That's not too bad I suppose, I could cope with that. I thought that the lockdown meant that everyone was basically living like Julian Assange.

In other countries, such as Spain, it is more Julian Assange, as you are not allowed out to exercise. Even going to the supermarket or taking the dog for a walk is a solo activity. I have no doubt we, in the UK, will have more controls issued in the coming week. Too many think they are on holiday.

Archived