Koronavirus - Page 18 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Koronavirus

capitanus

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read RealClearPolitics and TheHill every weekday morning, and TheHill had a very brief write-up on the interview:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/510393-trump-on-coronavirus-death-toll-it-is-what-it-is

Of course these are tiny soundbites of the 37 minutes. They will reflect the bias/agenda of the writer as well as that of the interviewer and the broadcaster.

Inasmuch as I have an opinion on it, it's that Trump shouldn't be doing these interviews. It benefits everyone except him. It will probably play into the view, increasingly widespread, that he's feckless and not especially caring.

EOho8Pw.png

Unlike TRVMP, I have not just read the soundbites but watched the whole interview and regardless of your political persuasion it would be difficult to imagine anyone seeing it as anything but a complete car crash of an interview. Nothing to do with POTUS being set up or fake new, Trump is damned by his own words on a number of subjects. On a good day with your MAGA Stetson on you could say he was feckless and not especially caring.

9 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Of course these are tiny soundbites of the 37 minutes. They will reflect the bias/agenda of the writer as well as that of the interviewer and the broadcaster.

That's why I watched (and posted) the whole interview because of course I realised that the clips I'd seen on the European media outlets I mainly frequent were probably selected to make him look as incompetent and gormless as possible. I genuinely tried to watch the interview as dispassionately as possible (although I can't deny I don't like the guy), and I thought it was toe-curling embarrassing for him and by extension the GOP (and by further extension, the whole country).. He obviously doesn't have a clue about how to analyse and interpret basic statistics, which is forgivable, but surely he should have people around him to sit him down and explain these things in simple terms before allowing him to go on TV? But, having said that. even though I tried as best as I could to watch it without bias, I openly admit I could be unconsciously biased based on my own political leanings and opinions of him. That's the reason I asked for the opinion of someone like you who could critique it from a completely opposite perspective. I was genuinely curious, but if you can't bring yourself watch to watch the whole interview, fair enough.

Which is fair enough. It just doesn't interest me, to relitigate whether or not Trump is a 4D chess genius or a guy who can't perform a percentage calculation. It's court gossip. Now, can it have a political impact? Maybe. I don't think it'll move the needle. It's now been five years of such studies and nobody who's already drawn a conclusion - and I drew mine in the fourth week of July in 2015 - is going to change their minds.

The part I do find interesting - and I alluded to this a bit in an earlier post, but will expand on it a bit here - is that there seems to be another meta-division forming, namely people who (instinctively?) like mild-mannered experts with credentials and a framed Master's on the wall, and those who look at them a bit askance and prefer a (feckless?) projection of confidence. I'm assuming the interviewer falls into the former camp. This is something that I think is going to become more and more pronounced, and has been germinating across the culture wars for a while. It was perhaps inevitable that a health crisis would bring it to the fore.

EOho8Pw.png

Trump appeared more than happy with Johnathan Swan as the interviewer. No suggestion of bias more an interesting watch as Trump was challenged, where appropriate, when he offered up 'fake news' in response to questions. Personally I prefer to listen to experts both in the USA and UK, especially on matters related to Covid-19, rather than politicians talking up themselves and their 'achievements'. I do though agree the interview is unlikely to materially move the needle in the USA. Trump was not wrong when he commented he "could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot someone" and still retain his base. Time will tell how it all plays out later in the year.

As I said around a month ago, this isn't true - Trump's base, which tilts elderly, is less and less approving of him, with the decline especially severe among moderates. The reason it isn't going to move the needle is that anyone already fascinated by experts is already locked in elsewhere.

EOho8Pw.png

Not sure I get the reference to being fascinated by experts. Most people I know listen to experts even if they do not always agree with the outcome. In terms of Trumps base, I was merely implying that he has a much more defined core support than exists for say Sleepy Joe and regardless of what the man says or does he gets their vote hence I suspect the upcoming election will be much closer than the polls currently suggest - I confess I would not be surprised if Trump won on the day.

4 hours ago, HamCam said:

Not sure I get the reference to being fascinated by experts. Most people I know listen to experts even if they do not always agree with the outcome. In terms of Trumps base, I was merely implying that he has a much more defined core support than exists for say Sleepy Joe and regardless of what the man says or does he gets their vote hence I suspect the upcoming election will be much closer than the polls currently suggest - I confess I would not be surprised if Trump won on the day.

You're wrong, though - it's Trump's core support that's wavering, and he's (slightly) overperforming with some non-traditional members of the populist coalition, namely the suburbanites who fled to the Democrats in the mid/late 2000s in purple states. Note that I'm saying he's overperforming, not performing better. That is, while he will (for example) lose California and win Texas, I expect his baseline results with the relevant demographics to reverse (that is, he'll do worse in Tarrant County TX than he did last time, and better in San Bernardino County, CA.)

EOho8Pw.png

Clearly you are much better placed to comment on what is happening politically in the USA. I confess my take on it is influenced by what I have watched and read which has not been suggesting much. movement in the base. It will be an interesting watch especially the scheduled interviews between the two candidates as I sense this will be Trumps best opportunity to get under Bidens' skin.

9 minutes ago, pink_panther said:

Ceptic and Aberdeen games off

Going by her wording of it, I’d also think St. Mirren v Celtic and Aberdeen v Hamilton are both off tomorrow, too.

Although why the Aberdeen v Hamilton game wasn’t called off before Bolingoli’s wee trip came to light I don’t know.

Premiership players are making an absolute cunt of this. It wouldn't surprise me if the league ended up getting suspended or something similar, and we cannot have any complaints about it. Either the clubs have failed to inform the players of their specific requirements, or (more likely) the players have ignored them. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

There's absolutely no valid basis on which to cancel a football season because some players went to a pub. Where there are genuine local outbreaks of the virus (whether that includes clubs or not), the games should be postponed. The rest is just pointless grandstanding.

Absolutely loving all the mock outrage about how irresponsible and dangerous footballers' actions are being the chief government topic of discussion on the very same day that they fire tens of thousands of grotty weans indoors all week on the solid public health grounds that 'ach at least they won't get it too badly anyway' - all with the full backing of tens of thousands of parents who just want their state childcare back until Christmas.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 10:53 PM, TRVMP said:

in 2016 the journalist Salina Zito made one of the most incisive comments about Donald Trump, and of course she was completely ignored because it was spot on. She said, Donald Trump's supporters take him seriously but not literally. Donald Trump's enemies take him literally but not seriously.

Off topic but I can't be arsed starting a new thread and this quote popped into my head re the debate last night.

How do you think this squares with "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by... but I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what, somebody's got to do something about Antifa and the left" when you've also said in this thread something along the lines of US politics not even being a quarter of the way to being far right? I can't see any non-literal interpretation of that which changes the meaning.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

7 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Off topic but I can't be arsed starting a new thread and this quote popped into my head re the debate last night.

How do you think this squares with "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by... but I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what, somebody's got to do something about Antifa and the left" when you've also said in this thread something along the lines of US politics not even being a quarter of the way to being far right? I can't see any non-literal interpretation of that which changes the meaning.

I don't watch the debates because I don't watch TV, and I know very little about the Proud Boys. I'd need to know more of the context about this. 

EOho8Pw.png

Archived