Morton v Dunfermline - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton v Dunfermline

AyrshireTon

The game absolutely changed when Millar went off. If there was any doubt before that we need to keep him out the team today confirmed it.

Colville, Jim and Jacobs worked well together in the middle and Cadden has another fantastic game.

Tumilty was a bit shaky I thought but finished the game pretty strong. Muirhead and Sutton were pretty ineffective up top.

IF we could get rid of a bit of the deadwood, get McHugh back fit and bring in a couple others, we might just be alright.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing the difference Tumilty made. He’s not even much different from last season, but he just provides the balance and energy we’ve been badly missing.

Were garbage for the first half hour or so but really turned things around. Easily Jacobs best game for us and the midfield worked really well.

Maybe, just maybe, we could get something next week...

The first half was dire stuff and we’d have been lucky to go in 1-0 down; going in at 1-1 was robbery.

The transformation in the second half was something else. No idea what Hopkin said or did at half time but that performance was what I was expecting we would get from a David Hopkin team when we appointed him.

There was coherent organisation of the defence, the team pressed high as a unit, the ball was moved forward directly with an actual plan of where it was going and how we would create chances with it rather than the aimless hoofing we’ve seen lately. Every player played well with 3-2 flattering Dunfermline in the end, even at 2-1 it felt comfortable.

For all that Dunfermline are an utter gang, if we can play like that for 45 minutes today we should be able to do it every week.

That second goal was a lovely move.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Aye, we were the best team for most of the game although the bits we weren't they were poor.

A lot more solid at the back without Grant although McLean's lack of pace could be a problem. Seemed to be a lot more communication between them and the keeper though so that worker well. Tumilty slotted in well too and thta defence should just be about OK - he gave a good outlet going forward too so is something we didn't have.

I think the problem with the midfield was more that Millar and McAlister can't play togteher. Jim was poor when Millar was on and came into the game after the sub. Didn't think Millar was that bad - he was trying to do the right thing and retain the ball at times but has no options with Jim hiding a bit.

Worked well up top too and can see Muirhead has something about him. Sutton tired badly so it would be good to see how he'd be through the middle with Nesbitt out wide. Was a bit surprised Orsi coming ok didn't mean a change for Muirhead.

Thought both Cadden and Colville were excellent today although Colville sometimes got the easy part wrong after doing really well to get himself into a position.

Overall it's hopefully a good sign of things to come. The players were in their proper positions and we have options to come back like Nesbitt, McHugh, Lyon and Salkeld so it's not a terrible squad or unrealistic to expect a playoff challenge with it.

With a fully fit squad I'd like to see is go with:

Rodgers

Tumilty McLean Baird Strapp

Lyon Jacobs Colville

Cadden Muirhead Nesbitt

Possibly harsh on Sutton and McAlister but I'd be confident going into most games with that 11.

I don't think we should get carried away with that performance. As Dunning said, we were lucky to only be 1-0 and we easily could have conceded more than the two that we did. We gave them far too much space early on in the match, and our defenders were getting turned far too easily. We were so poor at the first goal, and it wasn't the first time that we gave away an opportunity like that. Baird and McLean both had shaky moments.

The biggest difference after the first half hour was the way that we started to actually look like a cohesive unit. Jacobs, Colville, and McAlister started to dominate the midfield, Cadden and Muirhead for into the game, and the full backs had a good energy level. We could do with that level of performance more often, but we could have been out of that match before we ever got going.

While we were anything but scintillating in the first half hour I don’t think we were as bad as some are suggesting. I thought we thoroughly deserved the equaliser and had looked threatening for the 10 minutes or so before hand, Colville had done well down the left to fire a dangerous low cross in which only needed the slightest of touches then their keeper made an excellent point blank save from McAlister.

Great start to the new year, let’s hope it continues.

Delighted with the win. 

Started poorly and thought Dunfermline merited their goal, despite it being a gift. I actually thought Millar's substitution was tactical as I didn't see the injury. We definitely stepped up and managed to go in level.

The second goal was a great move and finish. We controlled the game and defended well when it mattered.

Most of the crowd (myself included) appeared to think that a foul had been awarded instead of our third goal. A couple of the players even looked to have asked the referee what he'd given before starting to celebrate. Great free-kick at the end.

The referee had a dire first half but was better in the second. I'd like to know which rule allowed him to hold up a Dunfermline throw-in to allow a team-mate to tie his laces.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Coverage and reaction of both managers and goal scorers from today’s game at Cappielow - enjoy 🔵⚪️ https://anchor.fm/footballCFB/episodes/Football-CFB--Morton-vs-Dunfermline-11120---summary-and-post-match-reaction-ea4anr

Nice one, good to get Manager and player interviews finally.(albeit the club should be publishing these)

Hope it's a weekly update.

Archived