Morton v Brora Rangers - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton v Brora Rangers

suda

I agree. The ‘Morton Club Together’ guy definitely needs more succulent lamb. And a crescent of crisps. And a hot egg. And a side clump of cress.

MCT has done more harm than good. The Rae family are destroying the club, any fan group should be all about putting pressure on them to either sell the club or run it in a half-competent manner, not just flinging good money after bad and hoping for a chance to sniff Crawford's seat at the end of a board meeting. It's a complete waste of time and money.

AWMSC

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think the apathy levels would soar. Barring a complete takeover, I can see a fair bit of the fanbase just not having the stomach for League 1 football again.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I fear the same, I think a long decline into Airdriedom awaits us if we go down again. Nobody's going to get off their arse to watch us hoof the ball up the channel against Montrose and East Fife, surely?

Fans turn up in greater numbers when the team is winning games, regardless of the level or opposition. The real threat to a club's fanbase is stagnation in the same level doing fuck all rather than relegation. This is what happened to this club at this level in the early 90s and again between 2008 and 2014 - and even that unsurpassed shitshow of a campaign did nothing to change that dynamic from asserting itself again in the following years.

There's of course a distinct possibility of stagnating at a lower level than before due to yet more piss poor decision-making and mismanagement at the club, but that's not an inevitable long term outcome at all. A single competent appointment in the dugout can change performance levels overnight, before even considering the sweeping changes that can and should be made behind the scenes. And given that the likes of Dunfermline, Raith and even the fucking little people have all spent multiple years recently stinking out League One with no great impact on their place in the natural pecking order, I fail to see why we would be any different. 

And one distinct benefit from relegation at most football clubs is that it forces a serious fucking rethink about what is trying to be achieved here and the opportunity to ruthlessly clear the decks of all that is rotten, from the boardroom level right down.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

MCT has done more harm than good. The Rae family are destroying the club, any fan group should be all about putting pressure on them to either sell the club or run it in a half-competent manner, not just flinging good money after bad and hoping for a chance to sniff Crawford's seat at the end of a board meeting. It's a complete waste of time and money.

I agree that the long-term purpose of any fans group should be to do the above but that is not the immediate priority. The immediate priority must be the removal of the £2 million debt pile because there can be no serious interest from outside bidders or even a substantial degree of fan ownership while GC still wants 'its' money back. So no it isn't in fact 'a complete waste of time and money', because the bargain struck between them and Crawford Rae begins the process of taking that enormous, potentially club-killing debt off the books for good. £20 invested in a scheme to do that is a far better use of money to support the club's long-term future than paying the same walk-up price to watch the dung currently on the pitch. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There's no reason why Raith couldn't replace us or one of the six other utterly dung Championship sides right now and take their shot at midtable mediocrity, not least when a joke outfit like 'Ayr United' are already doing so. 

Yes, but the issue is that it becomes more likely over time that they won't - like Airdrie. It's not that they can't, or won't, but that the likelihood decreases the longer they spend out of the division. That's why Airdrie are the perfect example. Admittedly in Scotland it's tilted a bit by the presence of part-time teams but much as Dunfermline have ceased to be a realistic top-flight team, Raith are in the process of losing their status as Championship regulars.

EOho8Pw.png

Fans turn up in greater numbers when the team is winning games, regardless of the level or opposition. The real threat to a club's fanbase is stagnation in the same level doing fuck all rather than relegation. This is what happened to this club at this level in the early 90s and again between 2008 and 2014 - and even that unsurpassed shitshow of a campaign did nothing to change that dynamic from asserting itself again in the following years.

There's of course a distinct possibility of stagnating at a lower level than before due to yet more piss poor decision-making and mismanagement at the club, but that's not an inevitable long term outcome at all. A single competent appointment in the dugout can change performance levels overnight, before even considering the sweeping changes that can and should be made behind the scenes. And given that the likes of Dunfermline, Raith and even the fucking little people have all spent multiple years recently stinking out League One with no great impact on their place in the natural pecking order, I fail to see why we would be any different. 

And one distinct benefit from relegation at most football clubs is that it forces a serious fucking rethink about what is trying to be achieved here and the opportunity to ruthlessly clear the decks of all that is rotten, from the boardroom level right down.  

Winning teams of course increases crowds, but with our dwindling fanbase I'm worried that some of the fans we've lost no longer have any attachment or affection for the club, and are gone for good. I think we maybe saw that in the season we were 2nd to Partick, where despite maintaining a credible challenge up to April and playing good football, we were still struggling to get more than 2,000 for most games.

Given our dwindling fanbase, if we get relegated any time soon one of the consequences of the rethink you referred to will probably be going part-time. Getting back up and then going full-time again would be a long, hard struggle. Unless something drastic happens very soon, I'm really concerned our decline is now terminal. 

Winning teams of course increases crowds, but with our dwindling fanbase I'm worried that some of the fans we've lost no longer have any attachment or affection for the club, and are gone for good.

What 'dwindling fanbase' would this be? The numbers are all available in the public domain for this, and none of them show long term decline from the 'massive crowds11!!!!' people think were rocking up to Cappielow when the club was in any similar position in the league system. 

The core support has been at least stable - if not, slightly increasing until this summer's total clusterfuck of a season ticket policy rolled out. That there aren't 8000 people in the local area ready to rock up to Cappielow for a big game once in every ten years for a one-off game is not really that important and doesn't determine the size of your club in the pecking order.

I think we maybe saw that in the season we were 2nd to Partick, where despite maintaining a credible challenge up to April and playing good football, we were still struggling to get more than 2,000 for most games.

That's a direct result of the stagnation that had set in by doing nothing at this level for years, rather than evidence of a 'declining fanbase' from some Hovis-themed Good Old Days. 

Fun facts: When Morton last won the second tier in 1986-87, the average home attendance was 1,885. Last season it was 1,943 and has been higher than that title-winning campaign in all but three of the seasons since 2002/03.

Given our dwindling fanbase, if we get relegated any time soon one of the consequences of the rethink you referred to will probably be going part-time. Getting back up and then going full-time again would be a long, hard struggle. 

I really don't see how that would be the case at all: you're simply changing the contract and workload status for a group of players and staff, most of which go through the fucking constant revolving door at Cappielow every twelve months as it is. Given the truly appalling financial results being posted by clubs at this level it's an open question as to whether full-time professionalism will last much longer as well, but if that is a change that this club has to take sooner than others then so be it. 

What 'dwindling fanbase' would this be? The numbers are all available in the public domain for this, and none of them show long term decline from the 'massive crowds11!!!!' people think were rocking up to Cappielow when the club was in any similar position in the league system. 

The core support has been at least stable - if not, slightly increasing until this summer's total clusterfuck of a season ticket policy rolled out. That there aren't 8000 people in the local area ready to rock up to Cappielow for a big game once in every ten years for a one-off game is not really that important and doesn't determine the size of your club in the pecking order.

That's a direct result of the stagnation that had set in by doing nothing at this level for years, rather than evidence of a 'declining fanbase' from some Hovis-themed Good Old Days. 

Fun facts: When Morton last won the second tier in 1986-87, the average home attendance was 1,885. Last season it was 1,943 and has been higher than that title-winning campaign in all but three of the seasons since 2002/03.

I really don't see how that would be the case at all: you're simply changing the contract and workload status for a group of players and staff, most of which go through the fucking constant revolving door at Cappielow every twelve months as it is. Given the truly appalling financial results being posted by clubs at this level it's an open question as to whether full-time professionalism will last much longer as well, but if that is a change that this club has to take sooner than others then so be it. 

Purely anecdotal of course as I'm just going by Social Media and first hand chats with a few folk, but I can't remember a time when the support in general was so apathetic and disinterested as they are now. Even during the Scott era I don't think it was as bad as this, at least that had a galvanising effect. So I fully admit I'm not in the best situation to make an objective judgement call, but this malaise feels different to me than any of the other 'downs' I've experienced, insofar as it seems to have permeated all the way down to erstwhile die-hards.  I really hope I've misjudged the severity of our situation. I'm not saying sinking to Airdriesque perma-diddydom is a foregone conclusion, but right now that seems to be a very distinct possibility, maybe even probability.

If only there was some sort of readily available metric to measure whether the core support is diminishing or not, as opposed to subjective waffle based on feelings and impressions

http://www.fitbastats.com/morton/club_records_league_attendance.php

Attendances have dropped by about 25% on last season after years of stability: that's got very little to do with apathy, given that we were fucking dung for the bulk of the last campaign and people were scunnered by it as well. The club's decision to hike its season ticket prices by fully 50% during the summer is the quite obvious and indeed predicted cause of this. 

If only there was some sort of readily available metric to measure whether the core support is diminishing or not, as opposed to subjective waffle based on feelings and impressions

http://www.fitbastats.com/morton/club_records_league_attendance.php

Attendances have dropped by about 25% on last season after years of stability: that's got very little to do with apathy, given that we were fucking dung for the bulk of the last campaign and people were scunnered by it as well. The club's decision to hike its season ticket prices by fully 50% during the summer is the quite obvious and indeed predicted cause of this. 

I really, really do hope you're right that this is just another dip in a normal cycle of ups and downs and we'll be fine,

St Mirren (1) v Broxburn (6)

Kilmarnock (1) v Queen's Park (3)

Hearts (1) v Airdrie (3)

Alloa (2) v Inverness (1)

Livingston (1) v Raith (3)

Auchinleck (N/A) / Arbroath (2) v Falkirk (3)

Dundee United (2) v Hibs (1)

Ayr (2) v Ross County (1)

Aberdeen (1) v Dumbarton (3)

Bonnyrigg (5) v Clyde (3)

St Johnstone (1) v Morton (2) / Brora (5)

Hamilton (1) v Edinburgh City (4)

Partick (2) v Celtic (1)

East Kilbride (5) v BSC Glasgow (5)

Dundee (2) v Motherwell (1)

Rangers (1) v Stranraer (3)

EOho8Pw.png

Archived