Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow.. - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow..

delboy66

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to a national education conference at Airdrie’s place once (Scottish Gov picking up that particular tab). Their catering was excellent.

I once held a conference at Fir Park around 8 year ago, their home-made empire biscuits were superb.

*insert signature here*

Simply by calling them irrelevant you're showing disrespect. 

I called the era 'irrelevant' - which it undoubtedly is, to Greenock Morton Football Club, currently operating in 2019. I have no opinion either way on the player in question because unlike half the Morton fanbase I don't permanently live in 1979 - so I haven't heard of some random players with regen names and don't particularly care about their records either. 

That complete lack of interest in your bygone hero is not actually 'disrespect' despite your predictable, pearl-clutching exercise here. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I called the era 'irrelevant' - which it undoubtedly is, to Greenock Morton Football Club, currently operating in 2019. I have no opinion either way on the player in question because unlike half the Morton fanbase I don't permanently live in 1979 - so I haven't heard of some random players with regen names and don't particularly care about their records either. 

That complete lack of interest in your bygone hero is not actually 'disrespect' despite your predictable, pearl-clutching exercise here. 

Haha, OK, if the 87-92 era is irrelevant, when does the Brian Wake 08-10 era become irrelevant? Be very specific.

You'll perhaps be granted the privilege to ask questions once you drop your two-bob Don Corleone act about 'disrespect' first. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

When a combination of the fundamental rules of the game (such as the introduction of the pass back rule), approaches in preparation or training (like the adoption of serious sports science), and last but not least changes to the business structure of the professional sport (such as the Bosman ruling) transform Scottish football into a fundamentally different form than the version that preceded it. Which is not at all the case in a comparison between 2008 and 2019 but holds absolutely for any terrible comparison between, say, 1991 and today.

Seeing as I’m gifted with many things but not the mystical ability of foresight, there can be no specific date for when the next abrupt break will happen in the future. It could be in five years’ time or fifty.

When a combination of the fundamental rules of the game (such as the introduction of the pass back rule), approaches in preparation or training (like the adoption of serious sports science), and last but not least changes to the business structure of the professional sport (such as the Bosman ruling) transform Scottish football into a fundamentally different form than the version that preceded it. Which is not at all the case in a comparison between 2008 and 2019 but holds absolutely for any terrible comparison between, say, 1991 and today.

Seeing as I’m gifted with many things but not the mystical ability of foresight, there can be no specific date for when the next abrupt break will happen in the future. It could be in five years’ time or fifty.

TL:DR

Just like nobody reads accounts of your heroes from a bygone era anymore.

Thanks for playing anyway champ.

Haha, OK, it's dropped. 

If the 87-92 era is irrelevant, when does the Brian Wake 08-10 era become irrelevant? Be very specific.

Two less than memorable eras.

The first was spent tumbling out of the top flight then stagnating in preparation for our relegation to the third tier.

The second was spent flirting with relegation to the third tier.

Both had the odd memorable game (Rangers at Scapa, Motherwell in the cup and Hibs and Partick away, but otherwise "meh".

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Given that I got a few green dots from fellow old timers, it's clear this statement is factually incorrect. :)

When you’re desperately scrounging for green dots on a forum to back you up it’s a clear sign for you to step away from the keyboard and stop posting champ, you’re done here.

NB: You also clearly failed to grasp the ‘anymore’ part of that point i.e. people not trapped in a midlife crisis reliving better days right now

Two less than memorable eras.

The first was spent tumbling out of the top flight then stagnating in preparation for our relegation to the third tier.

The second was spent flirting with relegation to the third tier.

Both had the odd memorable game (Rangers at Scapa, Motherwell in the cup and Hibs and Partick away, but otherwise "meh".

Yeah that was a typo, I meant the era 78-82. Indeed the late-80s/early-90s were for the most part pretty grim. 

This thread clearly illustrates the divide between younger and older Morton fans. Call me disrespectful if you like, but I'm fucking fed up of listening to all the stories about Andy Ritchie and the like. I'm fed up of hearing Chick Young or some other Open All Mics jobber having nothing positive to say about Morton other than waxing lyrical about stuff that happened 40 fucking years ago.

All it does is compound how little we've achieved in the last thirty years. These people and stories deserve to have a place in the club's history, nobody would deny that, but the love of rose-tinted nostalgia shouldn't supercede us being the most under-achieving full time club in Scottish football in the period since. Football changed, Morton missed the boat, and look where we are as a result.

There are sections of the Morton fanbase who, simply put, wouldn't care if Morton didn't win anything for the next decade, because they can still talk about Andy Ritchie and the team of '79. That's an issue. Our whole fanbase should be absolutely desperate to get to the Premiership, or get our hands on some silverware, but for some reason it's not and I think that's the reason. How many more years of underachievement is it going to take for that 'awk well, back in the good old days' attitude to wear off? 

The club is on it's arse, so I really don't have any objection to adopting a firmer attitude towards comps. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

This thread clearly illustrates the divide between younger and older Morton fans. Call me disrespectful if you like, but I'm fucking fed up of listening to all the stories about Andy Ritchie and the like. I'm fed up of hearing Chick Young or some other Open All Mics jobber having nothing positive to say about Morton other than waxing lyrical about stuff that happened 40 fucking years ago.

All it does is compound how little we've achieved in the last thirty years. These people and stories deserve to have a place in the club's history, nobody would deny that, but the love of rose-tinted nostalgia shouldn't supercede us being the most under-achieving full time club in Scottish football in the period since. Football changed, Morton missed the boat, and look where we are as a result.

There are sections of the Morton fanbase who, simply put, wouldn't care if Morton didn't win anything for the next decade, because they can still talk about Andy Ritchie and the team of '79. That's an issue. Our whole fanbase should be absolutely desperate to get to the Premiership, or get our hands on some silverware, but for some reason it's not and I think that's the reason. How many more years of underachievement is it going to take for that 'awk well, back in the good old days' attitude to wear off? 

The club is on it's arse, so I really don't have any objection to adopting a firmer attitude towards comps. 

I understand the jist of your post, particularly the bit about achieving nothing of note in the last 30 years.

The bit in bold I would disagree with. Quite sure everyone would love to see a Morton team that could achieve stuff and put the '79 team completely in the shade.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I agree with Ayrshire ton and also the general point being made by blb although I wouldn't go as far as saying there is a split in our support based on age.

What the 79 era team achieved was done with a part time team. It still has to be emphasised that we ended up finishing 5th, behind St Mirren.

They don't wax lyrical about their famous 79-80 side.

The fact that this side is so lauded emphasises our history of complete underachievement in the time since.

In Ritchie we had a player who was voted this best in Scotland and tipped for caps.

He never achieved his potential though and was lost to the game at 27.

Our greatest ever player apparently. He underachiever just as we have.

Absolutely nothing wrong with reminiscing.

I am nearly 44 and have great memories of going to games with pals in early 90s.

Apart from two Scottish quarter finals and a challenge Cup final and nearly getting promoted in 96 we achieved nothing.

Loved watching the Finns in particular Lindberg. That we were able to splash out 250000 on two internationals and not get promoted says a lot about the amateur way we were run in that period.

We finished 6th, ahead of Partick on goal difference.

Also worth mentioning that the game has changed completely since then - the Bosman ruling being the main one, money being another key factor. Won't ever see a part time team go top of the top flight again. 

Seeing clubs like Hamilton and Livingston sitting in the Premier with little effort does stick in the throat at how much we continue to underachieve.

I understand the jist of your post, particularly the bit about achieving nothing of note in the last 30 years.

The bit in bold I would disagree with. Quite sure everyone would love to see a Morton team that could achieve stuff and put the '79 team completely in the shade.

I'd love to agree with you, but I just don't think that's the case. How many supporters openly lambasted any form of critique of Dougie Rae's tenure because he saved the club, despite making an arse of pretty much everything from that moment on? How many supporters didn't/refused to realise the damage (on and off the field) that Jim McInally was causing? How many supporters are content clapping the team off the park when we lose at home to part-time opposition (especially during the relegation season)? How many supporters didn't call out (and bought into) Jim Duffy's mantra of 'poor wee Morton don't have the resources to compete with the likes of Queen of the South, Ayr United and Falkirk'?

I remember someone saying to me when I was a bit younger 'Morton are the shite team that their fans deserve'. I didn't really understand what he meant at the time, I think I get it now. There's a section of the fanbase who are content with abject mediocrity, and they tend to be the same folk who want to bore you to death in a pub talking about a game or a player from the 80s. I'm fed up of people being content with us doing nothing beyond existing. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Archived