Jobs worth steward - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jobs worth steward

I normally have a bit of sympathy with stewards as they are bound with rules and regulations not of their making but still get some unwarranted abuse and hassle from supporters.

However, as I approached the turnstiles last night there were 4 young boys just ahead of me all with tickets in hand. The female steward stopped them all and was shouting at the top of her voice “Your naw gettin in yer naw accompanied by an adult” and seemed to be taking taking great delight in doing so, rather than trying to explain to the kids why.

In the end I found myself with a surrogate grandsons for thirty seconds as me an my son took two of the lads in with us. Someone else just behind us did similar, and the boys got in.

But I wonder how many kids, having bought tickets, didn’t get in.

Now I understand that the club has a policy of no unaccompanied under twelves, I think, and I know that unruly kids running around the shed is a pain in the arse but that generally happens when the kids get in for free. These boys had gone to the bother and expense of buying tickets. The club have sold them tickets and taken their money yet they were being denied entry.

If the club want to encourage young fans along then this is something that needs to be looked at.

What exactly do you want them to do? Go against the rules they've been set and get their collar felt for a job that's already more hassle than the pay merits?

If she was being a jobsworth she wouldn't have let them in at all.

It more her manner that annoyed me and the fact that she was taking delight in shouting at the boys to get away.

Few of our group had to literally pull a steward off a wee guy of about 9. Not sure what he’d done, but the steward had his arm pulled right behind his back and was pushing him out, an actual child. Was pulled off and eventually the head steward came over and apologised. Arsehole.

It more her manner that annoyed me and the fact that she was taking delight in shouting at the boys to get away.

She was up at the cowshed pie stall at half time repestedly screaming 'there's 2 queues'. While with 2 windows there should be 2 queues, there isn't and there never has been.

They stopped letting people get into the ground for some obscure reason at the Alloa game and the same steward acted like a very nippy sweetie when people - quite rightly - wanted them to move as the game had just kicked off. She then apologised for the inconvenience once it got going again but the soft skills of crowd management seem to go out the window as soon as they've got an issue to deal with. 

On the flip side, they do seem intent on actually doing their job, which makes a refreshing change from the pointless, £7 an hour cardboard cut outs who let Falkirk and countless other mutant fans besmirch the hallowed turf of Cappielow in recent years. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Few of our group had to literally pull a steward off a wee guy of about 9. Not sure what he’d done, but the steward had his arm pulled right behind his back and was pushing him out, an actual child. Was pulled off and eventually the head steward came over and apologised. Arsehole.

Were you pulling off a steward? :o

Perhaps you would have been better off in amongst the Partick supporters with their rainbow shirts.

*insert signature here*

Archived