Poor wee Rangers - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Poor wee Rangers

pink_panther

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it isn't. You're the one who thinks that directing hate speech towards both sides of a sectarian dispute means that you can't possibly be guilty of an offence - the very analogy that you provided shows that this is in fact utter nonsense though. 

'Fuck your Pope' is every bit as sectarian as 'Fuck the Pope' as held under existing laws. Nobody cares if a fraction of their support swilling beaujolais in a Queen Margaret Drive bistro think they're somehow making a witty, ironic point with it. The vast majority of them are in fact just your standard, knuckle-dragging, Glasgow bigots. And so should have the book thrown at them accordingly. 

I'm not commenting on whether or not some sort of offence has been committed.  I am not a lawyer.  I have no interest in that, and frankly with the repeal of the OBFA I'm not sure what is and is not illegal.  The sole point that I am making, or trying to make, is that the particular line of the song in question is not in itself sectarian.  It may well be offensive, and it may well be about  sectarianism, but that is not the same as being sectarian in itself.

Incidentally I note that you refer to "fuck your pope", but not to "fuck your queen".  Is that just in the interests of brevity or is there a reason for that incomplete quote from the song?  The full quote is really needed to make sense of the argument.

Anyway I'm sure we are all agreed that sectarianism is a bad thing.  Let's just leave it there as our pontifications aren't going to change the behaviour of the real perpetrators.  This thread is about UEFA taking decisive action and coincidentally shaming the SFA, and it's long past time that the SFA explained why it has taken UEFA to start to deal with this matter - when are the SFA going to start imposing meaningful sanctions on the persistent repeat offenders?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

‘I’m not a lawyer and have got no interest in discussing that’ falls apart when you then start declaring that ‘fuck your Pope’ can’t possibly be sectarian just because you don’t want it to be. That’s really not how it works.

The real perpetrators of sectarianism are quite obviously football clubs whose fanbases partake in sectarian singing on a regular basis - which includes Partick as well as their vastly larger neighbours in the Glasgow area. Indeed it’s remarkable that anyone even buys this ‘it’s an anti-OF song’ excuse, given that Partick are a total irrelevance whose only genuine rivalry will be with Queen’s Park or Clyde in the seaside leagues next season.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

M4RKO already tried a similar joke. Nobody laughed at that one either.

In all seriousness, I didn’t hear it on the night but did hear it on the telly. Pretty moronic to sing that shite at a Morton game, but hopefully it was just a minority and I would like to think that any other fans close by would have called out the folk who were singing it (I was over the other side of the shed). I would even go as far as to say we should bin the “Morton boys” song (which I find pretty embarrassing) but I know I’m probably in the minority with that opinion

If you were to sing 'fuck your Sunni and fuck your Shia' in the bumpkin market square of Dumfries tomorrow then you'd be arrested for it champ.

Quite right too: I’ve Got You Babe is a classic.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

‘I’m not a lawyer and have got no interest in discussing that’ falls apart when you then start declaring that ‘fuck your Pope’ can’t possibly be sectarian just because you don’t want it to be. That’s really not how it works.

The real perpetrators of sectarianism are quite obviously football clubs whose fanbases partake in sectarian singing on a regular basis - which includes Partick as well as their vastly larger neighbours in the Glasgow area. Indeed it’s remarkable that anyone even buys this ‘it’s an anti-OF song’ excuse, given that Partick are a total irrelevance whose only genuine rivalry will be with Queen’s Park or Clyde in the seaside leagues next season.

I think you're deliberately distorting what I'm saying or being selective in the bits you choose to highlight in pursuit of what you, as so often with your posts, seem to view as some sort of win in a debate.  Their song is IMHO meant to mock sectarianism, not condone it, and I would have thought that someone like you would be able to discern the difference, albeit it might be subtle - and I accept that possibly some of them sing The and not Your, which is a different matter really.  BTW there are people who have sectarian leanings of one type or the other most most fanbases in Scotland - we are no exception and I'm sure Partick likewise.  That doesn't mean the whole Morton fanbase (or Partick for that matter) need to be tarred with the same brush.  Anyway next season with any luck we'll be two divisions above them so our ears needn't be defiled.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I think you're deliberately distorting what I'm saying or being selective in the bits you choose to highlight in pursuit of what you, as so often with your posts, seem to view as some sort of win in a debate.  

Show me these 'distortions' please - it's really not my fault that your 'logic' doesn't stack up and your analogies contradict your point of view. 

Their song is IMHO meant to mock sectarianism, not condone it, and I would have thought that someone like you would be able to discern the difference, albeit it might be subtle - and I accept that possibly some of them sing The and not Your, which is a different matter really. 

I've got absolutely no interest in trying to discern the hidden meaning of a blatantly obvious sectarian ditty and pretending - as you are - that it's actually some sort of 4D chess level strategy to somehow ironically mock the issue into oblivion. Seeing as there's no actual evidence to support that. 

If you want to continue special pleading for the wit and intelligence of a shower of knuckle-dragging tramps from Possil then that's fine by me though.

BTW there are people who have sectarian leanings of one type or the other most most fanbases in Scotland - we are no exception and I'm sure Partick likewise.  That doesn't mean the whole Morton fanbase (or Partick for that matter) need to be tarred with the same brush.  

If people were singing openly sectarian songs every week then the whole Morton fanbase would in fact deserve to be tarred with the same brush; that's actually the case with Partick and so here we are.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I think we had a discussion about this a few years ago.  The words are actually "F YOUR pope and F YOUR queen", which makes a significant (possibly too subtle for some) difference to the sentiments expressed.  They are using the pope and the queen as proxies for Celtic and Rangers.  It's an anti-OF song, not a pro-sectarian one.  I know you and I disagree on this one (and Toby also disagrees with me), but although I dislike Partick Thistle for a number of reasons, I don't think sectarianism is something that you can attribute to them, particularly as they seem to be attacking both sides of the sectarian divide.

Totally agree. Wish we'd sing it too.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Totally agree. Wish we'd sing it too.

It's one thing anyone wanting us to be a Harry Dunn's tribute act, but wanting to emulate anything that Partick fucking Thistle supporters ever do takes it to a different level altogether.

*insert signature here*

M4RKO already tried a similar joke. Nobody laughed at that one either.

It wasn’t really joke though. There’s no recent history of Morton supporters calling Rangers or ex Rangers players Orange bastards, so it’s obviously aimed at his hideous fake tan period. To be fair he’s toned it down a bit as he’s nearly 40.

The outpouring of sympathy here towards the victims of bigotry is quite touching.

It wasn’t really joke though. There’s no recent history of Morton supporters calling Rangers or ex Rangers players Orange bastards, so it’s obviously aimed at his hideous fake tan period. To be fair he’s toned it down a bit as he’s nearly 40.

The outpouring of sympathy here towards the victims of bigotry is quite touching.

It's a skin condition.

Archived