Morton vs Partick - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton vs Partick

BishopBrennan

Grant was awful last night in quite an aggressive, disruptive way. Blues is rubbish in that he does nothing (which admittedly can be equally damaging), but it wasn't as big a problem as Grant's ineptitude.

There's plenty to admire about a team with the resilience of this one, and about Nesbitt and Cadden especially, but the rate and manner in which we're shipping goals is hugely problematic.

AWMSC

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the game now and Grant just gave up at the first goal as soon as the header was won in their half.

Bit strange to pick out Grant on that one. Strapp is literally doing the same thing outside him. Not sure why your singling him out so much. He didn't look properly fit and was no worse than some others yesterday (especially Blues and Millar).

Midfield 3, going forward will presumably be Jacobs, Lyon and Colville.

The big guy had an impact when he came on.

Sutton undoubtedly had the major impact of the substitutions but I think we were also aided by Thistles substitutions. Bannigan going off for Cardle, Mansel the striker going off for Gordon and de vita for Robson.

Mansel going off timed in with Grant going off for us.

They offered absolutely nothing in the second half. Caldwell said it himself. We gave them 2 goals. We really struggled to adapt to Lyon going off as Millar is not a like for like switch. Didn't help that Millar had an absolute stinker.

With the current squad all fit, McAlister should start at centre back the question is who is at right back. If tumilty is not even being quoted, the that means it's Jacobs again.

Bit strange to pick out Grant on that one. Strapp is literally doing the same thing outside him. Not sure why your singling him out so much. He didn't look properly fit and was no worse than some others yesterday (especially Blues and Millar).

Strapp contributed a lot to the game, Millar was poor but still seen a lot of the ball and picked up in the second half, Blues was pretty anonymous as well but Grant just seemed disinterested and I think our lack of shape was mainly down to him being out of position.

For the goal it was the opposite side from Strapp, you'd expect your centre defender to burst it to get back when he realises the clearance is going over the top of him. McLean did but was just too slow.

For what it's worth, I think he's a similar type of player to O'Ware was and could be good with someone next to him telling him what to do.

Strapp contributed a lot to the game, Millar was poor but still seen a lot of the ball and picked up in the second half, Blues was pretty anonymous as well but Grant just seemed disinterested and I think our lack of shape was mainly down to him being out of position.

For the goal it was the opposite side from Strapp, you'd expect your centre defender to burst it to get back when he realises the clearance is going over the top of him. McLean did but was just too slow.

For what it's worth, I think he's a similar type of player to O'Ware was and could be good with someone next to him telling him what to do.

McAlister and McLean should have had Miller covered. Miller has just dropped in wide behind McAlister and angled his run in behind McLean. Grant should only be busting a gut if the other Thistle forward player is making a run into the box - his job is to cover that space, not to blindly run behind because someone has run behind the defence on the other side. Grant had a poor game, but McLean was very guilty of not doing his job as well. 

Chris Millar 's had a nightmare at the second goal. He loses the ball in midfield, and then neglects to do any sort of marking job for the finish. Grant was responsible for neither goal. The midfield 3 struggled to get any sort of grip on the match. I don't really see how Grant coming off can be signalled as the game changing moment. Changing the insipid midfield and having Sutton alongside McHugh were the game changers.  

McAlister and McLean should have had Miller covered. Miller has just dropped in wide behind McAlister and angled his run in behind McLean. Grant should only be busting a gut if the other Thistle forward player is making a run into the box - his job is to cover that space, not to blindly run behind because someone has run behind the defence on the other side. Grant had a poor game, but McLean was very guilty of not doing his job as well.

Chris Millar 's had a nightmare at the second goal. He loses the ball in midfield, and then neglects to do any sort of marking job for the finish. Grant was responsible for neither goal. The midfield 3 struggled to get any sort of grip on the match. I don't really see how Grant coming off can be signalled as the game changing moment. Changing the insipid midfield and having Sutton alongside McHugh were the game changers.

I'm not sure if you've watched it but he absolutely should have been getting back in that case.

I'm not sure if you've watched it but he absolutely should have been getting back in that case.

What was there to gain by leaving the area he should be covering and chasing after McLean and Miller?

I mean, I get what you mean if you're saying he was ball watching and not quite on his toes (Strapp and the other Thistle forward were as well) but in terms of his positioning I don't know what you want him to be busting a gut for. He's far too far behind to get across to cover or get back on the line and he shouldn't be committing to McLean's man. He's where he should be. Again, he's had a poor match and didn't look fit, but you're trying to hard to be annoyed by his performance. 

McAlister and McLean got it wrong for that goal. There was nothing anyone else could have done. 

It should also be said that the wind played a part in that goal and in that first half in general. Our back line all struggled with it and failed completely to adjust to it. 

What was there to gain by leaving the area he should be covering and chasing after McLean and Miller?

I mean, I get what you mean if you're saying he was ball watching and not quite on his toes (Strapp and the other Thistle forward were as well) but in terms of his positioning I don't know what you want him to be busting a gut for. He's far too far behind to get across to cover or get back on the line and he shouldn't be committing to McLean's man. He's where he should be. Again, he's had a poor match and didn't look fit, but you're trying to hard to be annoyed by his performance.

McAlister and McLean got it wrong for that goal. There was nothing anyone else could have done.

It should also be said that the wind played a part in that goal and in that first half in general. Our back line all struggled with it and failed completely to adjust to it.

I'm not saying he's the only one, just that I think him going off was the main turning point amongst others.

The midfielder threes job is to harrie opposition players as much as possible, try and win it back and immediately give the ball to Cadden or Nesbitt. We need pace energy and dig in there, not actual footballers and Millar no longer fits the mold. We play frantic mental football which I'm all for.

We were never ever out of that game last night which you could never have said about recent Morton teams. If we actually sorted the defence out that would be brilliant, might be less exciting though.

I want a pretentious signature too.

Criticising Grant for that goal, and our defending throughout the game in general, is insanity. When Partick were carving us open it was through hitting us down our right and targeting the space between McAlister and McLean, who was all over the place for more than an hour of the game. Whenever Grant found himself out of position it was usually due to having to cover McLean and Millar’s errors that caused a mess in the first place - criticising him while saying nothing about McLean is reminiscent of the days when people would target Stewart Greacen for being a bombscare and say nothing about Ryan Harding, when Greacen was essentially being forced to cover the area of two centre backs because his partner was routinely posted missing.

We undoubtedly did improve after that substitution, but it had a lot more to do with Sutton giving us someone who could win the ball and Colville giving us someone in the middle of the park who would take a touch and think about where he was sending it after doing so, which had been absent prior to his introduction, at the same time as Partick surrendered the midfield with their own substitutions. The defensive personnel weren’t particularly relevant to the improvement - the improvement in front of them meant we took control of the game and the ball stopped coming back at the defence with the frequency it had for the first hour.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Millar has a lot of work to do to prove he can play a role in this team. He was giving it big licks when he was left out of the side, but had an absolute shocker last night. 

Oh, and this picture is quality :lol: 

ECuk6t5WsAAHYTE.jpg

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Millar has a lot of work to do to prove he can play a role in this team. He was giving it big licks when he was left out of the side, but had an absolute shocker last night.

Oh, and this picture is quality :lol:

ECuk6t5WsAAHYTE.jpg

Millar agrees with you about his performance last night. He tweeted to that effect.

What I think it highlights is that McAlister can only play CB if he is starting a game, otherwise he would be someone we can bring into a defensive midfield role if we are trying to see a game out with any intention of pressing the game any longer.

Hes been caught out several times at rb with balls in behind or over the top (last night and the motherwell being recent examples) so its clear he cannot be our first choice their and with Tumilty going on ob loan today we must surely have a first choice rb lined up.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

Archived