Championship 19/20 - Page 33 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 19/20

SpoonTon

Am I the only one who is fed up hearing about Morton's debt to the lesser Rae's?

It wasn't us (the supporters) who ran up this debt, so why are we expected to foot the bill? They can fuck off, and take MCT with their shite ideas with them as well.

*insert signature here*

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool so our club can just go to the wall like rangers did then?

Regardless of who ran up the debt it's not going to just magically disappear so if we still want to have a club to support its only right we look at alternative options?

The MCT isn't for everyone I get that but they are the first group who have put a plan in place to ultimately remove the current owners whilst getting rid of all the debt.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

Regardless of who ran up the debt it's not going to just magically disappear so if we still want to have a club to support its only right we look at alternative options?

The MCT isn't for everyone I get that but they are the first group who have put a plan in place to ultimately remove the current owners whilst getting rid of all the debt.

We'd only go to the wall like Rangers if GC called in the debt and got us wound up if we were unwilling to pay. This is unlikely for many, many reasons.

The dignified thing for the Raes to do would be to work with MCT or any other credible* bidder on a handover plan without these very stringent debt requirements.

I'm not criticizing MCT here - for a variety of reasons I'm not currently a donor, but I broadly support what they're doing - just saying that neither they nor the fanbase at large should be on the hook for the Raes' profligacy.

*also not saying that the MCT are, at this exact moment in time, a credible bidder, but that's not their claim either. It's something to work towards.

EOho8Pw.png

So, were gonna die if we don't give the lesser Rae's their money back then?

Let's not forget, that many Football clubs have been in administration before (including Morton) and came out the other side a lot healthier. Dundee and Livingston seem to do it every few years.

Administration whilst it may not seem the most palatable of scenarios, is certainly a viable option and a way to get rid of the Rae's and the debts in one fell swoop. This season is already a write-off, so a 25-point deduction and a season in the seaside leagues could prove an opportunity to regroup and come back debt-free similar to what Dunfermline have done.

Forcing the Rae's to accept 10p in the Pound and getting them out of the club for once and for all is a possible alternative to everyone paying through the nose to sustain the status quo.

It may not be everyone's preferred choice, but with the level of debt and the Rae's insistence on getting 'their' money back, no good is likely to come out of maintaining that situation.

There is appetite for change, and there is money in the community and in the wider Morton support that is willing to support the club in difficult times. MCT have proven that with their publicity campaign. That money would be put to use better as a 'Save the Ton' campaign for administration rather than propping up the lesser Rae's last indulgence.

*insert signature here*

So, were gonna die if we don't give the lesser Rae's their money back then?

Let's not forget, that many Football clubs have been in administration before (including Morton) and came out the other side a lot healthier. Dundee and Livingston seem to do it every few years.

Administration whilst it may not seem the most palatable of scenarios, is certainly a viable option and a way to get rid of the Rae's and the debts in one fell swoop. This season is already a write-off, so a 25-point deduction and a season in the seaside leagues could prove an opportunity to regroup and come back debt-free similar to what Dunfermline have done.

Forcing the Rae's to accept 10p in the Pound and getting them out of the club for once and for all is a possible alternative to everyone paying through the nose to sustain the status quo.

It may not be everyone's preferred choice, but with the level of debt and the Rae's insistence on getting 'their' money back, no good is likely to come out of maintaining that situation.

There is appetite for change, and there is money in the community and in the wider Morton support that is willing to support the club in difficult times. MCT have proven that with their publicity campaign. That money would be put to use better as a 'Save the Ton' campaign for administration rather than propping up the lesser Rae's last indulgence.

In what way is administration a 'viable option'? Presumably you're talking about our majority shareholder putting the club into administration in order to wipe out their own debt, suffering the extremely high costs in the process. Makes sense...

TRUST THE DUFF

In what way is administration a 'viable option'? Presumably you're talking about our majority shareholder putting the club into administration in order to wipe out their own debt, suffering the extremely high costs in the process. Makes sense...

That is effectively what happened with Motherwell when John Boyle was owner and main creditor.

10% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

*insert signature here*

That is effectively what happened with Motherwell when John Boyle was owner and main creditor.

If recovering a proportion of the debt is a primary motivator wouldn't it make more sense just to liquidate and sell off the assets rather than line the pockets of an administrator? 

For every Motherwell, there’s a Clydebank. The STT campaign galvanized the supporters and community at large, primarily due to H*gh Sc*tt, but I doubt the same appetite is there for another STT after a relatively recent administration event, and the increasing apathy within a dwindling and weary fanbase. It could be a massive gamble.

As many have pointed out, the reality is that rather than the club going into admin it would most likely be run into the ground, while the Rae family clings on like a limpet up a whale's arsehole in order to eventually get 'their' money back. This is why clearing the debt should be the top priority for MCT as only that creates a genuine set of options for a non-Rae future. 

There's no chance of a community ownership scheme getting off the ground without the acquiescence of GC for the time being though, which certainly leaves a bad taste in the mouth given who was responsible creating this mess but it's simply the least bad option on the table. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

MacKinnnon is in the Tele slevvering some rubbish about people being "inadvertently blocked". Aye, no bother.

I'm still blocked. Apparently only 3 accounts still blocked as of last night. No idea why I was blocked unless it was a post expressing disappointment that Lyon & Nesbitt were left out on Saturday. Anyway it appears to be a select wee group now. Should be sorted in time for our next cup final appearance. If and when unblocked, my first tweetvwill be "Mckinnon must resign". An evergreen tweet tbh.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I'm still blocked. Apparently only 3 accounts still blocked as of last night. No idea why I was blocked unless it was a post expressing disappointment that Lyon & Nesbitt were left out on Saturday. Anyway it appears to be a select wee group now. Should be sorted in time for our next cup final appearance. If and when unblocked, my first tweetvwill be "Mckinnon must resign". An evergreen tweet tbh.

Maybe he doesn't like people from the borders.

For every Motherwell, there’s a Clydebank. The STT campaign galvanized the supporters and community at large, primarily due to H*gh Sc*tt, but I doubt the same appetite is there for another STT after a relatively recent administration event, and the increasing apathy within a dwindling and weary fanbase. It could be a massive gamble.

That is true, but one of the problems with Clydebank was that they were asset stripped by the Steedman Family before the bare carcass of a club was forced out on the road for six years before inevitable death by being swallowed up by another club who wanted their league position.

I reckon that if Clydebank still had their ground at Kilbowie they would have maintained a decent support in their town, which is one of the largest towns in Scotland, and would have been similar in stature to Morton, Ayr United, Dumbarton etc.

*insert signature here*

That is true, but one of the problems with Clydebank was that they were asset stripped by the Steedman Family before the bare carcass of a club was forced out on the road for six years before inevitable death by being swallowed up by another club who wanted their league position.

I reckon that if Clydebank still had their ground at Kilbowie they would have maintained a decent support in their town, which is one of the largest towns in Scotland, and would have been similar in stature to Morton, Ayr United, Dumbarton etc.

Clydebank is approximately half the size of Greenock.

So not one of the largest towns in Scotland then.

Clydebank is approximately half the size of Greenock.

So not one of the largest towns in Scotland then.

Is Greenock somehow the yardstick of what is or isn't a big town in Scotland?

There is a wee anomaly in West Dunbartonshire Councils website which lists Faifley and Dalmuir as separate areas from Clydebank, but for all intents and purposes these are districts of Clydebank, in a similar way that Larkfield and Gibshill are both areas of Greenock. That is probably where you got your information from - either that or Wikipedia.

Clydebank and her environs has a healthy population catchment of around 50,000; and if you were to include a 15-minute drive time (similar drive time or distance from Cappielow-Gourock) then they'd have a local constituency of around 250,000 which is over three times the Greenock/Gourock/Port conurbation.

*insert signature here*

They also never had a decent support, maybe even less than Dumbarton. When Morton were playing at a similar level to both those clubs, and we were competently managed, we probably had crowds of double their attendances put together.

The last ten years when Clydebank FC played at Kilbowie, their average attendances were as follows:

1995/6 - 1289

1994/5 - 1350

1993/4 - 1653

1992/3 - 1465

1991/2 - 1337

1990/1 - 1405

1989/90- 1400

1988/9 - 1573

1987/8 - 1276

1986/7 - 3272*

*Premier League season.

Source: https://clydebankfc.co.uk/seasons.php

Overall, they weren't the biggest supported club, but then again I never said they were. They were a fairly well supported second tier side when they played in their own town, and comparable in size to a few other clubs such as ourselves.

*insert signature here*

Is Greenock somehow the yardstick of what is or isn't a big town in Scotland?

There is a wee anomaly in West Dunbartonshire Councils website which lists Faifley and Dalmuir as separate areas from Clydebank, but for all intents and purposes these are districts of Clydebank, in a similar way that Larkfield and Gibshill are both areas of Greenock. That is probably where you got your information from - either that or Wikipedia.

Clydebank and her environs has a healthy population catchment of around 50,000; and if you were to include a 15-minute drive time (similar drive time or distance from Cappielow-Gourock) then they'd have a local constituency of around 250,000 which is over three times the Greenock/Gourock/Port conurbation.

It's the 23rd largest town in Scotland.

ie Not one of the largest towns in Scotland.

Archived