Championship 19/20 - Page 31 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 19/20

SpoonTon

The post from Paul Smith is interesting.

"I find all this very disturbing. I became a Morton fan because of Davie Wylie who got my son to become a Morton fan. We missed one game in 6 seasons. I out my fair share of money into the club supporting various staff. When the present management system cane on board we stayed supporting the club after Davie was simply sacked.

But after stuff that went on the CEO sent me email after I had to complain to Mr Rae who actually questioned my integrity and capacity for my employment.

We have stopped going and that is sad.

But I will end by saying anyone who goes beyond normal issues to get people sacked and sneaks behind people’s backs, takes photos as evidence and 100% leaks stories to the press. Then says welcomes face to face dialogue does not have a leg to stand on."

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With pretty much universal criticism he's really going to need to pull something out the bag this week to turn things around and win any respect back.

Can't see it happening so it's probably a matter of time now before he walks/ is pushed.

The offer of face to face meetings sounds more like an escalation than a resolution. Have the fans to line up outside the office like kids sent to the headteacher? Is he going to dissect every tweet and decide if you deserve a second chance?

Expecting a load of your customers to go and beg to be unblocked on social media is absolutely ludicrous.

I suppose we’ll find out. He did arrange a time and date to meet with me via e-mail today, so I can’t see myself hanging about outside the headmaster’s office like a petulant kid.

Although it should be noted that myself and Gerry appear to be the only ones that are over 18 (I may be wrong). The club have since unblocked me and I don’t think Gerry gives two hoots if they’ve blocked him- he’s probably enjoying the notoriety.

As far as I’m concerned though, it’s not about Morton giving me a second chance, it’s about me giving them one. We’ve had an absolute shit-show of a season and the club’s been in near terminal decline only for them to try and drive away some of their most loyal fans, they’re not in the position of strength here.

This is a club that have completely brushed under the carpet their Assistant Manager allegedly firing a torrent of abuse at another employee. They have no moral highground.

The relationship between fans and club is one he better get used to quickly. He’s a temporary custodian. We’ll still be standing in the coming decades watching us scrape a point here or there, as we have for the decades past.

McKinnon was out his depth before he started shovelling a hole for himself. He doesn’t appear to have the temperament or the acumen for the job. Rumours about fitting up staff for the sack aren’t helping either.

There’s still plenty of life in the Rangers and Arsenal stories on the after dinner circuit, though.

Am I the only one who finds this all amusing?

Have to say, I spotted this cunt a mile away:

http://themortonforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43788

If this guy was any use as a Chief Executive then he would have got a shot of his big team by now, instead of milking over a grand a week plus expenses from the shite club circuit like he has for the past two decades.

*insert signature here*

So seems like it was also entirely the wrong time for the club to go alienating fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51005537

Or maybe the right time for MCT to promote their alternative to the current regime. Trust is obviously an issue, in both sides of this, but it seems to me to be a good time to promote a new type of ownership for the club. 

Or maybe the right time for MCT to promote their alternative to the current regime. Trust is obviously an issue, in both sides of this, but it seems to me to be a good time to promote a new type of ownership for the club.

I don't disagree that it is a good time for them to show their hand. Their success still hinges on getting more engaged fans therefore fans being alienated and on the verge of, or already are, chucking it is not ideal.

They are just as likely to be handing back some of their 15% shareholding as they are to pushing for more.

It's a huge step forward for their credibility though that they have an end game in sight and that debt cancellation and their shareholding has progressed.

Could help convince some who were in the fence to get on board.

One point that appears to have been overlooked is MacKinnon’s belief that face to face dialogue is a great way to solve a problem- literally about three weeks after their longest serving member of staff was unceremoniously sacked via a fucking Recorded Delivery letter!!

You really couldn’t make it up with this lot.

One point that appears to have been overlooked is MacKinnon’s belief that face to face dialogue is a great way to solve a problem- literally about three weeks after their longest serving member of staff was unceremoniously sacked via a fucking Recorded Delivery letter!!

You really couldn’t make it up with this lot.

:lol:

Ever since MacKinnon and Hopkin have came in the atmosphere from the club has been rank!  How the kit man and possibly the physio (has she been?) can be sacked for betting indiscretions yet, as Toby pointed out, the assistant manager is free to verbally (bordering on physical from reports) abuse staff with no repercussions is absolutely astonishing!

If the current owners have this much disdain for the club and the support why the hell are they even still here?  I read the MCT statement and it mentions a debt free Morton could be "a viable and competitive proposition". 

Right ok, so write off the debt Crawford!  Why wait until some threshold is met by MCT in 2 years when the club is obviously a mill stone around GC's neck!  Write off the debt now and get shot of it!  You know you're not getting that money back and it was Douglas Raes mismanagement that caused it anyway so what's keeping you around?!

here today, gone to hell

I don't disagree that it is a good time for them to show their hand. Their success still hinges on getting more engaged fans therefore fans being alienated and on the verge of, or already are, chucking it is not ideal.

They are just as likely to be handing back some of their 15% shareholding as they are to pushing for more.

It's a huge step forward for their credibility though that they have an end game in sight and that debt cancellation and their shareholding has progressed.

Could help convince some who were in the fence to get on board.

Yeah. I'm one of those who have been on the fence and, while I'm still on the fence, I find it encouraging that there is some sort of plan being worked on in order to move the club on from the current regime. I think it's an incredibly tough route to go down, but I haven't seen a decent alternative and its positive that there are fans who are willing to work on trying to make it a credible plan. 

Ever since MacKinnon and Hopkin have came in the atmosphere from the club has been rank! How the kit man and possibly the physio (has she been?) can be sacked for betting indiscretions yet, as Toby pointed out, the assistant manager is free to verbally (bordering on physical from reports) abuse staff with no repercussions is absolutely astonishing!

If the current owners have this much disdain for the club and the support why the hell are they even still here? I read the MCT statement and it mentions a debt free Morton could be "a viable and competitive proposition".

Right ok, so write off the debt Crawford! Why wait until some threshold is met by MCT in 2 years when the club is obviously a mill stone around GC's neck! Write off the debt now and get shot of it! You know you're not getting that money back and it was Douglas Raes mismanagement that caused it anyway so what's keeping you around?!

Think the answer to that is straightforward - no one willing/able to take it off GC’s hands. If someone was willing and able, I suspect the debt wouldn’t be much of an issue anyway. The real problem here is costs rather than debt.

I’m dubious about how MCT might manage to raise funds sufficient to cover general running costs and put a semi-competitive team on the park. But I suppose that’s what the next nine months are a about - trying to find ways to square that circle - and there is no queue of alternative interested parties forming at GC’s door.

Think the answer to that is straightforward - no one willing/able to take it off GC’s hands. If someone was willing and able, I suspect the debt wouldn’t be much of an issue anyway. The real problem here is costs rather than debt.

I’m dubious about how MCT might manage to raise funds sufficient to cover general running costs and put a semi-competitive team on the park. But I suppose that’s what the next nine months are a about - trying to find ways to square that circle - and there is no queue of alternative interested parties forming at GC’s door.

There may well be no one interested just now but if the MCT is saying that a debt free Morton can be viable and competitive then I don't see why running costs alone would put off potential buyers.  What is most like putting off buyers is the self inflicted debt that the Rae's, for some unknown reason, will only write off if the MCT reach a certain threshold of funding.

Rae could easily wipe the debt now and make the club more attractive to potential buyers and be shot of us so why isn't he just doing that now?

If the rumour mill is to be believed he could have sold the club already but no one was prepared to reimburse him for Douglas's wild spending

here today, gone to hell

There may well be no one interested just now but if the MCT is saying that a debt free Morton can be viable and competitive then I don't see why running costs alone would put off potential buyers. What is most like putting off buyers is the self inflicted debt that the Rae's, for some unknown reason, will only write off if the MCT reach a certain threshold of funding.

Rae could easily wipe the debt now and make the club more attractive to potential buyers and be shot of us so why isn't he just doing that now?

If the rumour mill is to be believed he could have sold the club already but no one was prepared to reimburse him for Douglas's wild spending

Not sure about those rumours - haven’t heard anything along those lines - but I think it’s the other way around. FT football outside the top flight seems to require owners to take on the risk of circa £250k (or much higher) annual losses (even Dunfermline, who roughly break even, rely heavily on donations of about that amount to do so). The debt is only a problem if GC (not Crawford - it’s not him but GC who own the club and who would be seeking reimbursement) insist on it being paid in full (or a sizeable amount if not). But even if GC wipes out or substantially reduces the debt - and someone who is willing and able to take the costs off GC possibly won’t find it difficult to negotiate the debt down or negotiate it away - potential purchasers looking not just at our finances but at finances in the Championship/League 1 more generally would have to be pretty bold and pretty committed to take on those sorts of losses with only very limited opportunities to reduce them.

I actually think MCT money is wrongly directed in two directions. One at the debt and one at the first team. For me MCT money should be used in ways that can generate further income. The debt can be negotiated - costs can’t - and I have a feeling that the donation to wages can encourage waste/inefficient spending. That’s just my initial opinion - I’m sure plenty would disagree and that MCT would have thought about how it’s money can best be used.

I’m in total agreement with the principle that clubs like Morton should live within their means, but a debt free community owned model probably equates to part time or a heavy reliance on youth. An ambition to be the best part time team in the country probably lands us around where we are currently anyway.

Making the jump to the premier league (even an expanded top tier) without access to speculative investment (debt) is probably a non-starter. Assume the core support will reduce over time. Our future will most likely look more like Alloa or Airdrie, than St Johnstone or St Mirren.

Or, we torch all the pitches and office spaces in the area, push it all to Cappielow and hope the primary schools of Inverclyde are sitting on generational talent.

Archived