Championship 19/20 - Page 21 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 19/20

SpoonTon

The football club does not revolve around having a nice pitch. 

if you want a good pitch for passing football you can't train on it, if you want to use the ground for training etc like livi it needs to 4G.  The club provide the pitch budget so they need to choose what's more important to them

"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reserves play here also, if they want a good grass pitch they can't train on it 4 days a week as well.

Given how long he's been at the club, it's maybe easy to understate how well Mark Farrell has done in keeping the pitch in a consistently playable (at least) state regardless of the weather conditions. If we want to have a good grass pitch and avoid too many postponements then it's going to need to be maintained well, which presumably means not training on it every day as well as having the reserve games and whatever else happens. 

Whether we want a good grass pitch or not is another matter, right enough, but it seems reasonable enough to assume that if we do then it can't be getting used on a daily basis, especially going in to the winter.

If InverAlly's account is correct (and I see no reason not to believe him), then as Toby said it's something McKinnon needs to deal with. 

Either way though,  Farrell's been about the only consistently good servant to the club since he arrived (which, meaning no disrespect to him, is pretty dismal)  and should be able to leave on good terms.

AWMSC

if you want a good pitch for passing football you can't train on it, if you want to use the ground for training etc like livi it needs to 4G.  The club provide the pitch budget so they need to choose what's more important to them

The club clearly bought into Hopkin and his team's ideas in the summer: getting the players to do the bulk of their training work at the ground and not at Parklea was a major, publicly advertised part of that; 'keeping the pitch pristine to play pretty passing football' really wasn't. 

The onus was therefore on Farrell as a member of the backroom support staff to change his role to accommodate the enhanced burden placed on it by the needs of the first team squad: the top-line priority of any professional football club. Going by the story above he wasn't too happy about that but that's just tough; I've got no sympathy at complaints about his precious pitch being used more than it was under a succession of crap and financially incontinent regimes. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The club clearly bought into Hopkin and his team's ideas in the summer: getting the players to do the bulk of their training work at the ground and not at Parklea was a major, publicly advertised part of that; 'keeping the pitch pristine to play pretty passing football' really wasn't. 

The onus was therefore on Farrell as a member of the backroom support staff to change his role to accommodate the enhanced burden placed on it by the needs of the first team squad: the top-line priority of any professional football club. Going by the story above he wasn't too happy about that but that's just tough; I've got no sympathy at complaints about his precious pitch being used more than it was under a succession of crap and financially incontinent regimes. 

Fairly impossible to keep a grass pitch good if its used 6 days a week 

Then we'll just have to play on a not very good grass pitch then; somehow, I think we'll cope. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Agree that he should have just got on with it but it is more than likely that he was asked to get on with this added burden without an increased budget to complete the now necessary maintenance required by the management insisting on train there.

no plastic

It was grass, the plastic pitch came in the summer after being promoted. It hasn’t hindered them at all in the top flight.

Unfortunately it seems to be the way football is going, I’m sure we’d save a lot of money by training on our own surface every day, using it for the youth teams etc and if we got anything for renting it out that’s a bonus. It’s a shame the way it ended for Mark, though. Served the club well

It was grass, the plastic pitch came in the summer after being promoted. It hasn’t hindered them at all in the top flight.

Unfortunately it seems to be the way football is going, I’m sure we’d save a lot of money by training on our own surface every day, using it for the youth teams etc and if we got anything for renting it out that’s a bonus. It’s a shame the way it ended for Mark, though. Served the club well

I stand corrected as it looks old

Can't quote you, Toby, (quote function is humped), but I really don't see things getting better. Worse, yes, and we'll continue on that trajectory, but I can't for the life of me see a way out of this absolute shit-show period we seem to have gotten ourselves into.

I'm genuinely not arsed if I don't see another game again this season, or next for that matter. The apathy is real and no one at the top seems to want to take any notice of this.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I've not been to a game since August and don't miss it at all and i barely even check up on Morton news for the first time in decades. So scunnered with everything at the club this season. The funny thing is if they'd made season tickets payable monthly or not had a 50% price increase then i'd have been stuck going every week still after purchasing my first ever season ticket last season, however now the club aren't making a penny from me and probably won't again this season.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I've not been to a game since August and don't miss it at all and i barely even check up on Morton news for the first time in decades. So scunnered with everything at the club this season. The funny thing is if they'd made season tickets payable monthly or not had a 50% price increase then i'd have been stuck going every week still after purchasing my first ever season ticket last season, however now the club aren't making a penny from me and probably won't again this season.

I'm in the same boat. Been to Arbroath alongside a couple of cup times this season and that's it. Cant see that changing unless there's a change of ownership.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Just don't go. You don't have to keep droping in every so often to tell everyone.

It's not for the sake of it. I hardly post on here anymore either. If more fans like me post how disillusioned they are change may come around faster.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

The malaise around the club is a real issue and really does need to be remarked upon. Fans come and go in football just as they do in all aspects of life, but when it starts hitting the (former) hardcore and attendances start dropping (as they have done this season), it is something that needs to be remarked upon. Saturday's attendance was 1,185 - that's lower than any league attendance last season, even though it was a Saturday 3pm game. Sure, Arbroath don't bring much of a support, but nor did Alloa or QoS last season and attendances don't even come close to that low.

The current state of the club - not just the results on the pitch (although these are a factor) - is keeping people away, it's as simple as that.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived