Championship 19/20 - Page 44 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 19/20

SpoonTon

With the Government saying that existing contracts can be extended whilst continuing to be paid under the Furlough Scheme, I think its a poor decision from Clubs to punt all these players.

Understand fully that football is a cut-throat business but it would cost very little for clubs to extend contracts under the Furlough Scheme and would create a lot of good will.

In principle you'd hope all clubs would do as you've said and give players extensions on a month to month basis as long as furlough remains in place or until we get a definite date on when next season can start. This would ensure players have their income protected at no cost to the clubs rather than finding themselves unemployed at a time when they have no prospect of finding another job.

Sadly though I don't think it's that simple in practice. First of all there are footballing rules on player registrations being required to run window to window, and clubs still haven't been given an update on whether these rules will remain in place or indeed when transfer windows will actually happen this year. We're less than three weeks away from the date the window is supposed to open and in the period where contracts are expiring already. You'd obviously hope those rules will be waived to protect player welfare by allowing clubs to extend contracts month to month as long as furloughing them is an option for clubs who have no income, however as far as I'm aware those rules are made at a FIFA level and I don't know if the SFA would even be allowed to change them within Scotland only. Maybe extending contracts without actually registering them as players is a way round it but I'm not sure.

Additionally, while furlough continues to cover 80% of wages for now, the government have hinted that this may drop to 60% and/or they may expect employers to start making a contribution.

Clubs have got their own survival to think about and they don't want to end up backing themselves into a corner by offering deals thinking they're just protecting players at no cost to themselves, only for FIFA to tell them the contracts have to run longer than they thought, the UK government to tell them they're pulling the furlough rug from under their feet and burdening them with costs they didn't think they have, and the Scottish government to tell them they can't have any crowds at games due to restrictions remaining in place meaning they can't generate the income to cover those costs.

It's terrible for the players, but we could be looking at an existential crisis for clubs here. I'll not rush to judge Dunfermline for this when we don't know yet if there were realistic options to protect their players, although if there were and they've chosen not to use them that's a different story.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In principle you'd hope all clubs would do as you've said and give players extensions on a month to month basis as long as furlough remains in place or until we get a definite date on when next season can start. This would ensure players have their income protected at no cost to the clubs rather than finding themselves unemployed at a time when they have no prospect of finding another job.

Sadly though I don't think it's that simple in practice. First of all there are footballing rules on player registrations being required to run window to window, and clubs still haven't been given an update on whether these rules will remain in place or indeed when transfer windows will actually happen this year. We're less than three weeks away from the date the window is supposed to open and in the period where contracts are expiring already. You'd obviously hope those rules will be waived to protect player welfare by allowing clubs to extend contracts month to month as long as furloughing them is an option for clubs who have no income, however as far as I'm aware those rules are made at a FIFA level and I don't know if the SFA would even be allowed to change them within Scotland only. Maybe extending contracts without actually registering them as players is a way round it but I'm not sure.

Additionally, while furlough continues to cover 80% of wages for now, the government have hinted that this may drop to 60% and/or they may expect employers to start making a contribution.

Clubs have got their own survival to think about and they don't want to end up backing themselves into a corner by offering deals thinking they're just protecting players at no cost to themselves, only for FIFA to tell them the contracts have to run longer than they thought, the UK government to tell them they're pulling the furlough rug from under their feet and burdening them with costs they didn't think they have, and the Scottish government to tell them they can't have any crowds at games due to restrictions remaining in place meaning they can't generate the income to cover those costs.

It's terrible for the players, but we could be looking at an existential crisis for clubs here. I'll not rush to judge Dunfermline for this when we don't know yet if there were realistic options to protect their players, although if there were and they've chosen not to use them that's a different story.

Very measured response and can only agree. Clubs will to act this way until they have clarity, which is understandable.

I know the PFA have said they want contracts to be extended under Furlough but - as you identified - clubs cant extend indefinitely without knowing that registration windows will be extended (players may also be hesitant of signing until October then being on the shelf till January).

I wonder if there’s the possibility of a workaround where contracts get extended beyond the normal windows, but if the players don’t actually make any appearances they would then be allowed to sign and play for another side when the leagues restart.

The sfa has recommended clubs extend contracts on a month to month basis and continue to utilise furlough.

Wonder if some clubs who do not think playing games behind closed doors is viable, would be more likely to free en masse so they can argue against it saying they only have 4 players and cannot afford to recruit without income guarantees.

According to The Record, Monday will see Championship clubs consult with the SPFL i forming them they can’t/won’t play behind closed doors - meaning a shutdown for us until next year is likely.

Presuming just the loss of revenue would be too much. I don’t know if they’ve even explored streaming or are just totally disregarding it.

We can’t even get a decent highlights package never mind a streaming service :lol:

Even if we did it wouldn’t make up for the loss of revenue from match days in any form.

'Morton are among a group of clubs who believe the division can begin behind closed doors and have been exploring the potential of raising cash from pay-per-view live streaming of matches.' according to the Record.

Reaching any consensus on that will probably be huge ask.

Some detail on how things might look: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-league-1/1326449/exclusive-lower-league-spfl-divide-opening-up-with-a-full-mothballed-season-a-possibility-for-some/

I really don't see where clubs are going to find 12K a month to fund testing, if that's required at the point games start. That'd be huge money to be stumping up if we were playing in front of our normal crowds with all the normal revenue streams unaffected, never mind while the sole source of income is maybe a few hundred people paying less than a tenner for a stream.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Budgie

And SunSport understands she will now release her preferred vision - believed to comprise of a three division 14-14-16 set-up, on Monday.

As things stand, however, Championships clubs - of which the Jambos are now one - could be forced to play a reduced 18-game season starting in January.

Some detail on how things might look: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-league-1/1326449/exclusive-lower-league-spfl-divide-opening-up-with-a-full-mothballed-season-a-possibility-for-some/

I really don't see where clubs are going to find 12K a month to fund testing, if that's required at the point games start. That'd be huge money to be stumping up if we were playing in front of our normal crowds with all the normal revenue streams unaffected, never mind while the sole source of income is maybe a few hundred people paying less than a tenner for a stream.

A: The Scottish Government, given it is their measures that are impinging on the clubs' ordinary activity. None of this is going to happen without a significant subsidy.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The sfa has recommended clubs extend contracts on a month to month basis and continue to utilise furlough.

No they haven't.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5626853/queen-of-the-south-dunfermline-releasing/

Queen of the South have now followed suit so you'd expect Morton to announce something similar in the near future. It's possible that the numbers involved will be smaller as I don't see Hopkin aiming for a clear out but that'll depend on the confidence of the club to fulfil new contracts as furlough is tapered off.

I've got no problem with clubs doing this: in any other year these players would have been out the door three weeks ago and punting Herbalife while they scrambled to find a new club.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That's the way to do it

Livingston FC

@LiviFCOfficial

·

6h

📋| Quite possibly a football first but we’re giving you the chance to decide on the future of goalkeeper

@Maley1Gary

With his contract expiring next month, we’re leaving it in the hands of the fans as to whether or not we offer “Stretch” an extension.

Stay or go - you decide!

Yes - Offer a contract.

65.1%

No - Get him out.

That's the way to do it

Livingston FC

@LiviFCOfficial

·

6h

| Quite possibly a football first but we’re giving you the chance to decide on the future of goalkeeper

@Maley1Gary

With his contract expiring next month, we’re leaving it in the hands of the fans as to whether or not we offer “Stretch” an extension.

Stay or go - you decide!

Yes - Offer a contract.

65.1%

No - Get him out.

This is maybe the first piece of Twitter "bantz" during lockdown that's actually raised a smile.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived