Morton Club Together Updates - Page 39 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

9 hours ago, cmdc said:

The projected £100,000 of savings did raise an eyebrow I must admit, but Graham Barr mentioned in his recent interview that MCT have been working closely with Nick for a while now and so they will have had sight of, and taken advice from him about, the club’s financial position. 

Given that 'Nick' was one of the chief cheerleaders on here for the hare-brained, 8-8-8 squad structure that got us relegated in utter disgrace in 2013/14. I'd take his advice on how to successfully cut costs at a football club with a shovel of road salt.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Demonstrating such woefully piss-poor judgment in a private capacity (though in reality trying to further ingratiate himself with the Rae regime) is actually a more damning indictment than simply toeing the official club line. It's almost as if there's a reason why bean-counters do not regularly serve as chief executives of successful professional football clubs. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

12 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Erm yes, I can just imagine that 'fact-finding discussion' in which the club discloses to MCT that there's actually a big £100k value to do list of easy cost-cutting measures that they just haven't got round to, all while rummaging around the English ninth tier or something to find the next Gianluigi Buffon because the player budget is a pittance. 

I think we can safely file that into the bin of 'things that never happened'. 

If you're not going to disclose in what areas savings can be made then you also shouldn't cite a conveniently round sum like £100k that you're going to get off the books no bother because it lends you far less credibility and not more.

Of course nobody is saying that's what happened but as we know there are discussions ongoing between MCT and GMFC at the moment, it's not unreasonable to think that MCT are specifically looking at (and may have already identified) ways they think extra revenue can be found and/or saved. 

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

I think that it is entirely unreasonable for MCT to state that they can waltz in and slash £100k no bother from the club's annual costs following years of austerity-lite policy in the late Rae era and with the current chief executive having already been tasked with achieving a break-even position over the past twelve months. They're not taking over the 2008 version of the club here. Somebody with access to the basic accounts can work out the precise figure but that must be easily more than 5% of the club's budget that they think is fat just waiting to be trimmed. If it were that easy to do then why are the other full time, second tier Scottish football clubs up to their eyeballs in crushing year on year losses though?

All of the focus should be on revenue-raising where the previous regime has clearly left room for improvement on the commercial front as well as the need for a stack of fresh ideas. This whole 'it'll be fine cos we'll just cut costs and raise income at the same time!' shtick though is like something you'd hear from an undergraduate business student rather than responsible adults preparing to navigate the financial black hole that is a professional provincial football club.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 2

Given that they’ve delivered so far on what they set out to do (still plenty to go on that obviously), I think if MCT have said they’ve identified something that can be done then they deserve some time to do that. 

• Upvote 1

Running a professional football club is an entirely separate challenge to anything MCT have done so far and there have been plenty of supporters' groups that were good at one and not the other. There is no other football club for us to fall back on, so just like any other owner we shouldn't be giving MCT a free pass for statements of intent that don't stand up to scrutiny.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I think that it is entirely unreasonable for MCT to state that they can waltz in and slash £100k no bother from the club's annual costs following years of austerity-lite policy in the late Rae era and with the current chief executive having already been tasked with achieving a break-even position over the past twelve months. They're not taking over the 2008 version of the club here. Somebody with access to the basic accounts can work out the precise figure but that must be easily more than 5% of the club's budget that they think is fat just waiting to be trimmed. If it were that easy to do then why are the other full time, second tier Scottish football clubs up to their eyeballs in crushing year on year losses though?

That of course is not what I said and I'm not disagreeing with you on your general point, merely trying to second-guess the intentions behind the statement. I'm assuming they've said that figure on purpose, perhaps based on some things they've immediately identified don't work or could work better. Perhaps only because it sounds good, time will tell.

Also, nobody is saying they aren't focusing on revenue driving and in fact I'd be disappointed if that's not their primary focus.

Edited by hayfever

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

18 hours ago, hayfever said:

That of course is not what I said and I'm not disagreeing with you on your general point, merely trying to second-guess the intentions behind the statement. I'm assuming they've said that figure on purpose, perhaps based on some things they've immediately identified don't work or could work better. Perhaps only because it sounds good, time will tell.

Also, nobody is saying they aren't focusing on revenue driving and in fact I'd be disappointed if that's not their primary focus.

I'm really not sure why you think that we need someone to interpret what they're really saying when their public statements couldn't be more explicit. And if £100k of cost-cutting only represents the secondary part of their straight through the door financial masterplan then it's criminal that we've not been shitting money for the past fifteen years.

They'd win more respect by demonstrating an understanding of just how massively difficult a task turning this club around is going to be, instead of throwing around bold/unrealistic pledges. It might generate greater enthusiasm in the short term but custodians failing to deliver quickly breeds apathy and contempt, as we've seen time and time again.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, so72 said:

Wonder if scrapping Morton's funding of the academy was part of the '100k' saving that MCT had identified

According to Iron Man and his assorted flunkies on here, the academy wasn't going to require any funding from the club in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

To put that number into perspective, it's equivalent to us selling 450 more adult season tickets than usual based on the coming season's prices, with the added benefit of providing a solid, year-round income stream to the club just as GC is heading out the door. It shows why the concept of an alternative funding mechanism to gate reciepts is fundamental to the club's development - the onus will be on MCT's directors to ensure that it's well-spent over the long-term to sustain this impressive milestone.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Haven't seen it posted on here - MCT will contribute £100k to the first team budget this season and also hold a further webinar aimed at non-members (date tbc).

Full update from MCT email for those maybe still swithering

Dear Members,

With the return of the Greenock Morton players to training just a week away, we are pleased to announce that Morton Club Together (MCT) have made our first payment of the 2020/21 season towards the first team budget.

We are delighted to confirm that we have been able to increase our monthly payment towards this cause to £10,000.

Following the support of our members over the last few months, this represents a significant increase on last year’s contribution.  One year ago, we made our very first payment of £6,000, with the monthly total rising to £7,000 in January.

What this also means is that we are on target to contribute £100,000 over the coming season.  With 675 members now, this really does show the importance of strength in numbers.

Last Friday, MCT Directors also had the opportunity to meet with David Hopkin, Anton McElhone, Dave Timmins and Dave MacKinnon.

This was an extremely positive meeting and a great opportunity to discuss all things Morton and visions for the future.

MCT Director, Gordon Ritchie who attended the meeting said, “We had a very positive and productive meeting with the team coaching staff, and quickly realised that we share many common goals and ideas to move Morton forward.

“We are delighted that MCT are now able to contribute £10,000 per month towards Hoppy’s first team budget, and we would like to thank all our members for making that possible.

“2020 has been an extremely difficult year for everyone, and it cannot be underestimated how important the support of all of our members has been, and will continue to be, for the coming season.”

Greenock Morton CEO Dave MacKinnon added, “Myself, Davie Hopkin, Anton McElhone, and Dave Timmins spent a productive couple of hours with Graham and Gordon from the MCT Board, and we were impressed by their vision and commitment.

“I have worked closely at other clubs to facilitate greater fan and community involvement, and it takes open minds on both sides to deliver. It is clear that MCT understand the unique challenges faced in running football clubs, and we look forward to forging a close working relationship with MCT over the coming season and beyond.”

In the coming weeks, we would also like to make members aware that we will be running a specific webinar for non-members.  

We want to engage and interact with all Morton fans to ensure they have the opportunity to join us on the path to community ownership.  We know there are fans out there who are yet to sign up to MCT and we want to offer those fans time with our Directors to get the answers they need regarding MCT.

Following this, we will look to host future member webinars where you will all have the chance to pose your questions.  However, in the meantime, you can ask us a question anytime you want by getting in touch at enquiries@mortonclubtogether.com.

Thanks,
MCT Team

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgmail.us5.list-ma

Obviously we don't know what monthly sum from MCT the board were already factoring into the first team budget for this season, but regardless that is a massive sum of money. Say we're paying players £400 a week (just guessing), that's six players being covered. Imagine the shape we'd be in without that?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

3 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Obviously we don't know what monthly sum from MCT the board were already factoring into the first team budget for this season, but regardless that is a massive sum of money. Say we're paying players £400 a week (just guessing), that's six players being covered. Imagine the shape we'd be in without that?

Could argue MCT are covering all the dead wood like Blues, McLean, Millar, Muirhead and Mcginty.... 

Really frustrating that we are paying out wages on players we all know are not good enough knowing it could be spent on 3/4 better players who would actually make a difference. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we go into this season with no right back again whilst being  overloaded with duds elsewhere. 

18 minutes ago, Madton said:

Could argue MCT are covering all the dead wood like Blues, McLean, Millar, Muirhead and Mcginty.... 

Really frustrating that we are paying out wages on players we all know are not good enough knowing it could be spent on 3/4 better players who would actually make a difference. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we go into this season with no right back again whilst being  overloaded with duds elsewhere. 

That's a risk no matter where the money is coming from. If you give first team management and/or a Director of Football control over signings, then they need to be given a budget and left to get on with it, barring some limited exceptions (e.g. a bid too good for the club to turn down, or someone who's clearly out of his depth/on his way out trying to sign a full squad.) No manager in the UK worth his salt would accept being told who he can and can't sign and who he can and can't renew by what is at the moment a minor shareholder in the club.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

That’s something I think quite a lot of people are going to have to get over, or have misunderstood with the fan ownership model. We have no greater influence on signings than we did before, and it should remain that way. As the above says, the person responsible for it can’t be undermined in any way. Even though we ourselves are putting money in, we’re surrendering any real control over it when we do.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, TRVMP said:

That's a risk no matter where the money is coming from. If you give first team management and/or a Director of Football control over signings, then they need to be given a budget and left to get on with it, barring some limited exceptions (e.g. a bid too good for the club to turn down, or someone who's clearly out of his depth/on his way out trying to sign a full squad.) No manager in the UK worth his salt would accept being told who he can and can't sign and who he can and can't renew by what is at the moment a minor shareholder in the club.

Aye it was purely tongue and cheek when i said they are theoretically paying their wages. Think everyone knows MCT can't control that in the slightest.

The frustration lies with Hopkin offering these guys new deals in the 1st place.

• Upvote 1