Morton Club Together Updates - Page 38 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

1 hour ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

Why is that exactly? 

There's a lot of questions about then cost savings, lack of assert ownership etc and he doesn't have the answers as he's recently appointed and doesn't have them. 

I'm a member of mct and worked with Graham before but a lot of people have suspicions so I feel he's been thrown to the lions a bit when is role is marketing. Its too early for purely promotion. 

• Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

It isn’t. We need to strike while the iron’s hot and get as much media coverage as possible to get members signed up early doors.

When they first launched I think MCT were premature with a lot of stuff, but now is the time to push the hype far and wide, and I'm glad they're doing so.

EOho8Pw.png

12 hours ago, irnbru said:

There's a lot of questions about then cost savings, lack of assert ownership etc and he doesn't have the answers as he's recently appointed and doesn't have them. 

I'm a member of mct and worked with Graham before but a lot of people have suspicions so I feel he's been thrown to the lions a bit when is role is marketing. Its too early for purely promotion. 

Flogging a dead horse.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

He's only recently appointed as a director, as far as I know Graham has been on board with MCT pretty much since it's inception. 

Until the announcement, any press coverage revolved around Graham McLennan, which raised legitimate concerns that MCT was nothing more than a one-man-band or a vehicle to boost a single ego. All five directors facing the media and facing tough questions highlights the strength of the team that has been assembled. Why on earth would you want to shield the media and communications director away from the media? Did Graham say anything in his interview that contradicts anything said by any other MCT director since the takeover announcement? 

Nah, probably not and on reflection it's a harsh/drunk post. 

Like I said I'm behind the idea but I think there's a few questions that need answers and I don't think Graham is the person to answer but the approach between mct and Rae kind of mitigates is since there's a transition. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Nah, probably not and on reflection it's a harsh/drunk post. 

Like I said I'm behind the idea but I think there's a few questions that need answers and I don't think Graham is the person to answer but the approach between mct and Rae kind of mitigates is since there's a transition. 

I think you're firmly in 'splitting hairs' territory here. 

• Upvote 1

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

No, he's actually marooned in the vast, bleak wilderness known as 'scrambling for relevance', ever since his beloved Trust was punted with absolutely zero fanfare into the dustbin of history.

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

I think you're firmly in 'splitting hairs' territory here. 

Not at all. Anyone I've spoken to has the same questions that haven't really been answered so it would be good to get another Q&A (quite a few from the last one didn't get answered like was promised). 

• Downvote 1

On 7/26/2020 at 12:11 AM, irnbru said:

Not at all. Anyone I've spoken to has the same questions that haven't really been answered so it would be good to get another Q&A (quite a few from the last one didn't get answered like was promised). 

Have you asked anymore questions that you’d like answered? As far as I could see they answered what was asked of them from all of the comments back on the announcement the other week. 

2 hours ago, EdinTon said:

Have you asked anymore questions that you’d like answered? As far as I could see they answered what was asked of them from all of the comments back on the announcement the other week. 

Yeah, a few unanswered and most people I've spoke to share the concerns about being split from the assets, etc. 

Maybe a follow up Q&A would help. I get why there's promotion of MCT and its working but it would be good to hear some more details on the plans now everyone has had a think about them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Yeah, a few unanswered and most people I've spoke to share the concerns about being split from the assets, etc. 

Maybe a follow up Q&A would help. I get why there's promotion of MCT and its working but it would be good to hear some more details on the plans now everyone has had a think about them. 

What are the unanswered questions though? I've seen them be pretty active in replying back to people that have raised questions on their Facebook posts etc. They also said this season they'd be working closely with the club to find out even more than what they already know so I'm sure we'll hear more when that happens.

They also said in the webinar that there would be more webinars organised with fans who maybe hadn't signed up yet, that kind of thing. 

42 minutes ago, EdinTon said:

What are the unanswered questions though? I've seen them be pretty active in replying back to people that have raised questions on their Facebook posts etc. They also said this season they'd be working closely with the club to find out even more than what they already know so I'm sure we'll hear more when that happens.

They also said in the webinar that there would be more webinars organised with fans who maybe hadn't signed up yet, that kind of thing. 

You've touched on one of the biggest concerns - they are confident that they can save around £100,000 a year but still have to work with the club for at least this season to find out more about how its run. 

Both of these don't really fit if they need to learn about what's needed to run a full time club so what are these savings and why are they so confident without having knowledge of running a club? 

I've said before, I think most of the work being done is good and most questions have been getting answered over time but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be other questions getting asked. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Irnbru as the voice in the wilderness who kept telling us the cost of running Cappielow was '000,000's every year, without providing anything to support the numbers, why is it you have an issue with another organisation who has thrown a number into the ether? Don't get me wrong, I suspect I am one of many supporters who remains to be convinced but having someone from the Trust asking for transparency is an interesting development. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Irnbru as the voice in the wilderness who kept telling us the cost of running Cappielow was '000,000's every year, without providing anything to support the numbers, why is it you have an issue with another organisation who has thrown a number into the ether? Don't get me wrong, I suspect I am one of many supporters who remains to be convinced but having someone from the Trust asking for transparency is an interesting development. 

It wasn't me who kept saying that although the club did mention high maintenance costs at every agm. 

I don't really see the issue with asking some questions and being a bit worried about vague answers. Like I said earlier, I've been a member of MCT since the start, spoke to the guys involved and am generally supportive of it but most people I've spoken to have similar concerns.

Most questions have been getting answered and the progress over the last year or so has been impressive so it's not all doom and gloom but some more detail around certain aspects might encourage more new backers, maybe ever yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, irnbru said:

You've touched on one of the biggest concerns - they are confident that they can save around £100,000 a year but still have to work with the club for at least this season to find out more about how its run. 

Both of these don't really fit if they need to learn about what's needed to run a full time club so what are these savings and why are they so confident without having knowledge of running a club? 

I've said before, I think most of the work being done is good and most questions have been getting answered over time but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be other questions getting asked. 

The easiest way for MCT to find out how to run a full time club, is to do the exact opposite if what happens just now. Simple.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, irnbru said:

My guess would be that the figure comes as a result of the fact they've already spoken to the club and already been involved in some fact-finding discussions about overheads etc.

Also, surely it's a good thing that (if and) when they take over the club they know how it has been run and can make changes immediately, should they be required. If they don't carry out this process in advance, they'll have to do it while running the club which just wastes more time and money.

They're also not going to disclose in advance areas they think are overspends or wastes of money, some of it is probably confidential anyway (salaries, debts, etc)

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

The projected £100,000 of savings did raise an eyebrow I must admit, but Graham Barr mentioned in his recent interview that MCT have been working closely with Nick for a while now and so they will have had sight of, and taken advice from him about, the club’s financial position. The answers to a lot of the questions people have at the minute eg around the stadium will be subject to ongoing negotiation. Hopefully the membership number keeps increasing to give them as strong a negotiating hand as possible. 

Members of MCT putting themselves out there and openly admitting when they either don't know an answer or are unable to comment in public at this stage is a far better approach to honesty and transparency than just hiding away and avoiding questions because they know they'll be unable to answer some points.

We know they've done a feasibility study working alongside the club to produce it so you'd assume that's the basis for their figures, but if aspects of their plans to increase revenue come from revisiting existing commercial deals which the club are signed up to, they're obviously going to be bound to confidentiality on those aspects and aren't able to say that a deal with Smiths, Aulds or whoever is currently worth £X and they think they could actually make £Y.

Even where they might not be bound by any kind of confidentiality, it's maybe just the right thing to do not to go public with it. For example if some of their plans to make savings were based on merging the roles of two members of the non-playing staff, it'd be inappropriate for them to come out and say that to the support before they've taken ownership and had that conversation with those employees.

Being honest and open when you can't share or just don't know an answer to a question is a much better approach to transparency than what we've had in the past.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

12 hours ago, hayfever said:

My guess would be that the figure comes as a result of the fact they've already spoken to the club and already been involved in some fact-finding discussions about overheads etc.

Also, surely it's a good thing that (if and) when they take over the club they know how it has been run and can make changes immediately, should they be required. If they don't carry out this process in advance, they'll have to do it while running the club which just wastes more time and money.

Erm yes, I can just imagine that 'fact-finding discussion' in which the club discloses to MCT that there's actually a big £100k value to do list of easy cost-cutting measures that they just haven't got round to, all while rummaging around the English ninth tier or something to find the next Gianluigi Buffon because the player budget is a pittance. 

I think we can safely file that into the bin of 'things that never happened'. 

They're also not going to disclose in advance areas they think are overspends or wastes of money, some of it is probably confidential anyway (salaries, debts, etc)

If you're not going to disclose in what areas savings can be made then you also shouldn't cite a conveniently round sum like £100k that you're going to get off the books no bother because it lends you far less credibility and not more.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are