Morton Club Together Updates - Page 36 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

4 minutes ago, Woody66 said:

Hopefully. My point is, will MCT seek to continue asking members for a regular payment after their pledge period has finished?

Of course they will. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

3 hours ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

Of course they will. 

Yes but for what cause? The current pledge is to increase the player budget and decrease the club debt. That will no longer be the case when MCT take over. What will people be pledging for then? 

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Woody66 said:

Yes but for what cause? The current pledge is to increase the player budget and decrease the club debt. That will no longer be the case when MCT take over. What will people be pledging for then? 

Did you miss the news that the club will be community owned? 😀 the monthly income from fans being members will be used to run the club, in the same way as the Well Society and other fan owned clubs do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woody66 said:

You'll be pledging to keep the club running...

8 minutes ago, EdinTon said:

Did you miss the news that the club will be community owned? 😀 the monthly income from fans being members will be used to run the club, in the same way as the Well Society and other fan owned clubs do.

I didn't miss anything pal. Not even the bit where MCT say:

"Monthly payments will run for 24 months, after which no further financial commitment from contributors is required or expected."

8 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

You'll be pledging to keep the club running...

So we expect the club to still run at a loss?

The minimum amount of contributions to become a member is £240. 

Once the £240 is paid there is no requirement for that member to make any more contributions to maintain their membership.

Obviously, MCT would like members to continue pledging beyond the minimum of £240 though, to help achieve its goals and to place MCT and the club in as a strong a financial position as possible going forward.

Ultimately though it is the members choice whether they want to continue to contribute after the minimum contribution threshold has been met.

3 minutes ago, Woody66 said:

I didn't miss anything pal. Not even the bit where MCT say:

"Monthly payments will run for 24 months, after which no further financial commitment from contributors is required or expected."

So we expect the club to still run at a loss?

The part about the monthly payments ceasing after 24 months was addressed in the webinar I'm sure. Without wanting to answer of anyone's behalf, MCT highlighted that they thought they could reduce the club's outgoings while maximising various income streams to ensure the club's survival. 

Fan-owned clubs of our size generally have ongoing donations as part of the business model. Often these come with various sweeteners to encourage people to keep the direct debits going.

Even if MCT do manage to stem the losses and increase income I would expect loss-making seasons here and there simply because that's the nature of Scottish football. A bad relegation year, a bad hospitality year (like this one), a miscalculation on a signing here and there... lots of things can happen.

EOho8Pw.png

4 hours ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

The part about the monthly payments ceasing after 24 months was addressed in the webinar I'm sure. Without wanting to answer of anyone's behalf, MCT highlighted that they thought they could reduce the club's outgoings while maximising various income streams to ensure the club's survival. 

If it were as easy as simply cutting costs and raising income then privately-owned Scottish football clubs would have serious investors falling over themselves to get in, rather than relying on rich fans with more money than sense, outright Walter Mitty characters like Brooks Mileson, Calum Melville etc. or as a last and only recent resort fan-ownership models like MCT to run the shop instead. There will need to be both a much more specific set of measures identified to improve the business as well as some consideration of what will happen if either revenue or investment fails even temporarily: even a bog-standard cold snap calling off two or three home games presents a cashflow problem in the short term. The ground was at least nominally the only thing propping up GMFC as a going concern in recent years: while the debt may be taken away in full on the other side of the balance sheet, you still need to run either an extremely tight ship or have a bank somehow willing to offer a credit facility worth the name when there are essentially zero assets underwriting the club.

Over the long term - we're talking 20 years or more here - it would make sense for MCT to try and build up a capital reserve to either secure the business against when needed or ideally to use to get ownership of the ground back. I'm not convinced that even with 600 people buying into the process right now that it will be able to do that and keep the business going at the same time though, unless we sneak into the top flight and  just pocket the parachute payments after a Brechin-esque dinghying of that league.

• Like 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

NB: I'd particularly like to know what outgoings MCT think can be reduced on taking over from what we have right now. I for one believe that the high Rae regime didn't really give a toss about efficiency savings - those just built up the annual IOU to themselves and stopped any real alternative ownership model from being envisaged - but the club has been operating on a break-even mandate for at least a year under an experienced chief executive at this level. If there has been any obvious fat to trim then it has probably gone long ago. 

I'm not expecting MCT to have immediate answers for everything but throwaway talk of cutting costs more than they are right now makes me less convinced that they understand the reality that they're going to encounter. I'd rather that they focused solely on the raising income side of the equation which, while still really difficult, would clearly benefit from any sort of fresh thinking compared to nearly two decades of Golden Casket's involvement.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

NB: I'd particularly like to know what outgoings MCT think can be reduced on taking over from what we have right now. I for one believe that the high Rae regime didn't really give a toss about efficiency savings - those just built up the annual IOU to themselves and stopped any real alternative ownership model from being envisaged - but the club has been operating on a break-even mandate for at least a year under an experienced chief executive at this level. If there has been any obvious fat to trim then it has probably gone long ago. 

I'm not expecting MCT to have immediate answers for everything but throwaway talk of cutting costs more than they are right now makes me less convinced that they understand the reality that they're going to encounter. I'd rather that they focused solely on the raising income side of the equation which, while still really difficult, would clearly benefit from any sort of fresh thinking compared to nearly two decades of Golden Casket's involvement.

Aye, I thought it was a bit strange that they said they were confident in doing this kind of thing but at the same said time they'd be shadowing the people currently running things to see what's involved in the day to day running of a club. 

14 hours ago, Woody66 said:

Hopefully. My point is, will MCT seek to continue asking members for a regular payment after their pledge period has finished?

I think this has been answered since, but the text you quote is based on the original project which was to provide additional funding for the first team squad. The objective has changed now, which is to take over the club and will need ongoing funding.

I'm assuming - based on other supporter owned club examples - that MCT pledges will provide part of the club's income or some of the pledge total will be invested straight into the club, with some being kept to build up a reserve or used for specific projects/purchases for donation to the club.

15 hours ago, EdinTon said:

I upped my pledge and wondered the same thing. Was assured by the MCT team that it only counted once and that my new pledged amount is added to my previous one. 

Are your donations coming out at different times of the month? Also, it's weird replying to someone using the username I used to use... 

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

32 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

It also wasn't built on a 'we can waltz in and effortlessly cut costs that the previous two-bob regime let happen' basis though because yeah that's nonsensical. I'm all for us sacking Paisley to pay for a new main stand though.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:10 AM, StuartTon said:

What an odd statement; surely it will now be on an ongoing basis given they will own the club..?

If there's a new and credible purpose then MCT should encourage members to subscribe to a new fundraising scheme. Owning the club doesn't by itself oblige its members to add funds though. How much additional capital did Golden Casket exactly add - as opposed increasing their own IOU - in their last 15 years of owning the club? I'm all for fans contributing revenue through a different model to season tickets but there will need to be a fresh pitch to get that investment and it can't involve just adding it to a normal season ticket price in the long term. The long term solution might well be to combine a regular MCT membership with a significant discount on season and match tickets to encourage ownership rather than just consuming whatever is on offer as the more solid basis of supporting the football club.

Edited by vikingTON

8 hours ago, RealTonKid said:

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

The problem is that when there's no other financial backing, no experience of running a club and no assets then Rome might burn quickly. 

MCT have been pretty transparent and answered questions so hopefully have considered all of these things but that doesn't mean people should have concerns. 

15 hours ago, irnbru said:

The problem is that when there's no other financial backing, no experience of running a club and no assets then Rome might burn quickly. 

MCT have been pretty transparent and answered questions so hopefully have considered all of these things but that doesn't mean people should have concerns. 

I would think that if and when they take control the 'owners own, and managers manage'.

The people running MCT can continue to do that, while appointed club staff run the club working under a competent and experienced Chief Exec (which may well remain DMcK). MCT members may of course be on the club board, but (at least eventually) shouldn't need to be involved in the day-to-day running of the place.

As long as decent appointments are in place the actual running of the club should be fine (or at least no worse than it has been at times in the past!)

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange