Morton Club Together Updates - Page 34 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

5 hours ago, GiGi said:

They still have MCT money topping up the first team budget. Hopefully still put a good enough team out to be competitive in mid table at the least.

MCT are looking at changing their constitution so all money doesn't go to the first team and we were in debt to get a mid table team this season when we had the full amount going to the playing squad. 

There's a lot of questions about the stadium, etc but the more pressing one is what happens in the coming season.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:32 PM, GiGi said:

Sustainability under community ownership might mean we end up at the same level as Airdrie, Clyde or Falkirk.

However other clubs around us are going to need to wake up to the same reality. Inverness, Dundee, QoS etc will fare no better.

MCT are going to have to find significant income sources for this to work in the long term. But since we know who will own the club from here I will be happy to increase my contributions to give it the best shot. Hopefully other people who are able will do so as well, and others who were skeptical of joining will now see a better reason to get involved.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/1437410/dundee-give-midnight-deadline-to-players-yet-to-accept-a-pay-cut-and-warn-wages-may-not-be-paid/

And there it is.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

It sounds like a lot of the above is still a work in progress but the biggest question for me is still what happens in the transition period of potentially two season? Can we expect a much reduced playing budget as MCT are looking at changing things so money isn't just for that and GC will be making sure they don't risk running up any more debt?

2 hours ago, irnbru said:

It sounds like a lot of the above is still a work in progress but the biggest question for me is still what happens in the transition period of potentially two season? Can we expect a much reduced playing budget as MCT are looking at changing things so money isn't just for that and GC will be making sure they don't risk running up any more debt?

GC were already cutting back to avoid running up more debt. It shouldn't make us any worse off in that regard - GC's position in terms of avoiding debt is the exact same as it was when setting the budget for 19/20.

Obviously every club is going to have to make cuts this year due to the Covid related loss of revenue, but that's a separate issue.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

12 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

GC were already cutting back to avoid running up more debt. It shouldn't make us any worse off in that regard - GC's position in terms of avoiding debt is the exact same as it was when setting the budget for 19/20.

Obviously every club is going to have to make cuts this year due to the Covid related loss of revenue, but that's a separate issue.

Already cutting back but with an interest in keeping us in the division and more attractive to potential buyers. Now we have potentially two years of bare minimum money and effort with part of the playing budget diverted elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Already cutting back but with an interest in keeping us in the division and more attractive to potential buyers. Now we have potentially two years of bare minimum money and effort with part of the playing budget diverted elsewhere. 

How long were you in charge of the GMST?

What the fuck did you do in that time?

In a fraction of that time the MCT were able to go from a back-of-fag packet idea to become a sizeable shareholder and are now incumbent owners of Morton FC.

Are you in a fit position to criticise them?

• Upvote 2

*insert signature here*

4 hours ago, irnbru said:

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

There's a community trust in Berwick looking for a gormless lackey right now, time to reunite with your big mate Warren at an appropriate level for both of your skillsets (East of Scotland Division Two before the decade's out).

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

58 minutes ago, irnbru said:

They were already operating at the bare minimum, operate at break even and put no money in budget. I genuinely don't see where you're coming from here; there's no tap for Golden Casket to turn off.

In terms of MCT funding for the first team budget, it's true that they may decide to divert some of their subscription income to building up a cash reserve rather than putting it all directly to the first team budget, although they've also been clear that could only be decided by a vote of the members. However they've already had an increase in membership of 110 in under three days since announcing the ownership deal, and they announced back on 22nd May that they'd accumulated £25K over the course of lockdown, while they aren't contributing anything to the club due to furlough.

That was seven weeks ago so they must have a considerably larger amount now. It's feasible that they could build their own cash reserves and continue to contribute to the first team budget. It would be sensible to hold something in reserve anyway given the uncertainty around income for next season.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

3 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

They were already operating at the bare minimum, operate at break even and put no money in budget. I genuinely don't see where you're coming from here; there's no tap for Golden Casket to turn off.

In terms of MCT funding for the first team budget, it's true that they may decide to divert some of their subscription income to building up a cash reserve rather than putting it all directly to the first team budget, although they've also been clear that could only be decided by a vote of the members. However they've already had an increase in membership of 110 in under three days since announcing the ownership deal, and they announced back on 22nd May that they'd accumulated £25K over the course of lockdown, while they aren't contributing anything to the club due to furlough.

That was seven weeks ago so they must have a considerably larger amount now. It's feasible that they could build their own cash reserves and continue to contribute to the first team budget. It would be sensible to hold something in reserve anyway given the uncertainty around income for next season.

It's not so much a criticism of MCT - they've got a lot of questions to answer but have explained there's a period where they'll be doing more work to get a greater understanding of what's needed so hopefully it's a success. The work they've done so far has been good.

The problem is that we're potentially facing two years of an owner who knows they're leaving and won't be able to give financial backing as they have to represent shareholders of another company so can't risk costing them money. From the sounds of it there's been a debt again this season when it was supposed to be break even so the budget is going to drop yet again to reflect that. 

The caveats are that Crawford has stuck to his word of writing off debt, has a good relationship with MCT and I've no reason not to believe him saying he wants to leave a good legacy but I'd feel more comfortable if we knew some more about the transition period so we're not in a worse position than we are now if/ when MCT take over. 

As you say though, if people more get on board and MCT can keep funding the playing budget then that might be the answer to this question. 

None of this means I don't support MCT (I've increased my contribution like a few others have) but I'd much prefer they start from at least where we are now then after two years of even more cuts and being relegated along the way. 

Sounds positive going forward. Q&A is a useful tool for folk like myself who havent been totally convinced by it all. 

Only two things that came up that I’m still unsure of. In relation to Cappielow “there could be a clause to give MCT first option to buy if Golden Casket ever decide to sell. I thought aslong as MCT are in control GC wouldn’t sell Cappielow at all anyway? I understand MCT would want to have first option on this though. The ownership of Cappielow could be a potential worry and surely it would be more beneficial MCT owning it too? Financially that would have huge implications in order to acquire it but ideally this would be owned at time of the changeover.

Secondly, “we would like to see the academy continue to thrive, but again this will depend on the post Covid financial position”. Does that sound a bit ominous? Is there an option of not having the academy going forward when it seems to be actually giving us some decent players? I thought this would have been really important going forward with a sustainable/break even budget? 

Overall the MCT have done a shitload of work on this over the past while which is definitely impressive and hopefully things continue to go in the right direction. You can’t help but compare this progress to the GMST. Light years ahead and I feel MCT is doing what a lot of us would of expected the GMST to be doing. Keeping my fingers crossed for the future.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, irnbru said:

Where are you getting this two season transition period from? Summer of 2021 is next season.

• Upvote 1

This upcoming season will certainly be one where we’re just looking to stay in the division. The budget means under normal circumstances we probably wouldn’t be far off anyway. It’ll naturally take a while for MCT to get settled next year, but we can’t really afford to write that season off as well (serious apathy is likely to set in - even early on) 

40 minutes ago, Woody66 said:

Where are you getting this two season transition period from? Summer of 2021 is next season.

It's a potential 2 years, if they can't convince of viability next March, it's extended by a year.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

It's a potential 2 years, if they can't convince of viability next March, it's extended by a year.

Ah, got it now.

With 100 new members in the first couple of days after the announcement, I don't foresee there being a problem for next year.