Morton Club Together Updates - Page 32 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

7 minutes ago, Scott said:

Was there any talk of the third party that were rejected? Had been hearing for ages from a decent source that the Easdale’s were a stick on and was a matter of when not if. Seems a surprise for all they’ve invested in the club that we’ve gone the opposite way from them. 

Aye without actually naming any names, they more or less confirmed that it was not the Easdales.

• Upvote 1

There are still a load of questions needing answered but, as the Dunning says there have been calls for new ownership for years now and this is the first real chance for that to be done.

On the principal of “you have to pish with the cock you’ve got” you have to get behind this if you can, every tenner pledged will help. 

Edited by The Bewilderedbeast

When David Murray wanted out of Rangers he found himself a reliable stooge to take on the club and it's liabilities for the nominal sum of £1.  When the bold Crawfordjag wanted out of Cappielow he found himself a reliable stooge to ask everyone to chip in money whilst he quietly asset stripped the club and assigned the liability of the club to stooge's creation.

I'm not liking this one bit.  It stinks.

ETA: I think that the supporters of Morton - whether MCT supporters or not - should put pressure on the Rae Family to ensure that the stadium in part of any deal.

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

The stadium is the big downside of this. I'm not at all comfortable with Cappielow passing out of the hands of the club, but if the lease agreement ensures Golden Casket can't either raise the rent to an exorbitant amount or sell it from under the club's feet then those are good safeguards to have in place. Questions about the costs of any future redevelopment do need an answer.

Frankly I'd still prefer to wait a few more years to get to the position of community ownership and have to raise a significant sum to buy GC out with the stadium remaining in the hands of the club than have MCT getting the club for £1 or whatever the tiny nominal fee is without ownership of Cappielow. However I also don't think those valid concerns are a reason not to support this.

We've known for years that the club is effectively in a managed decline with the Raes in charge and ownership had to change. Now we've got that opportunity. This is a chance to build a more sustainable club and possibly a more successful one - fan owned doesn't mean fan run and overhauling the culture of the club from top down with new and above all else competent faces could be exactly what we need for the club to progress.

Depending on the success of the scheme - and I admit that is a huge dependency - maybe buying the stadium outright could be a longer-term project for MCT. Hard to see what GC would get out of it if they're only getting a peppercorn rent. Presumably they'd want fair market value for it otherwise but it's not like we'd be competing with anyone else for it.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

We've known for years that the club is effectively in a managed decline with the Raes in charge and ownership had to change. Now we've got that opportunity. This is a chance to build a more sustainable club and possibly a more successful one - fan owned doesn't mean fan run and overhauling the culture of the club from top down with new and above all else competent faces could be exactly what we need for the club to progress.

This, this and this ^^^

There may well be tougher times ahead while it finds its feet, but I think it's a great idea and look forward to the club becoming better engaged with the supporter base and more and more at the centre of its local community.

And to touch on a previous point about volunteers, I understand they can be a challenge at times but I don't think the contribution they can make to a club like ours should be dismissed.

At my old job we estimated their contribution to be the equivalent of a quarter of a million pounds a year - they helped wash and dry strips, made meals for the players, painted the ground, answered phones and sold tickets, helped weekly with ground maintenance (in offices and stadium itself), sell merchandise, write match reports, provide match day social media updates, fundraise... the list goes on. 

• Upvote 1

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

6 hours ago, TorontoTon said:

You don't have to, I am in Canada and support via Paypal.  Just write to MCT.  

Not going to get into the full details here, but I tried the email route when the scheme launched and it was an absolute ballache that I eventually gave up on. When they come back with a solution that doesn't require 20 emails each way I'll sign on, until then I won't. It won't be hugely to their detriment if they don't bother - I imagine that the number of people like me (willing to sign on but not willing to go through the email rigmarole in the absence of a UK bank account) is comfortably under five in the entire world - but that's the situation.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

6 hours ago, irnbru said:

To be fair they mentioned sponsorship and marketing so revenue could be made up in other ways. My point was really just based on what they said as it was mentioned a few times they'd be looking at 2 or 3 people like this with a figure of 25k being mentioned so it would be a big part of the budget. 

I wasn't there so I didn't hear it, but I'd be very surprised if they had these patrons pegged as all individual people. I assume, instead, that they're wanting corporate patrons, who'll get something resembling a top-tier membership, with the exposure to match. I think this would be an eminently sensible approach, and would have the side benefit of getting a larger array of local companies (and their associated personages) involved, with a view to greater cooperation and sponsorship.

EOho8Pw.png