Morton Club Together Updates - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

Don't often comment on the site for a variety of reasons - main one being I don't see the team as often as I'd like to.

I managed three minutes of the video and have to agree with Capitanus.  This is not for me.  My main concern has always been that is dependent on the GC debt being part of the value of the club.  I don't accept that and I would hope that new investors would negotiate it at the very least.  

I turned off when we got the Dougie tribute version of "we haven't got enough people to make our total, and we don't have a plan in place if we don't make that total.  But please ask two friends to invest and we might do it!"  At least Dougie only asked us to bring one friend each. 

The only people I can see benefitting from this is Golden Casket who will reduce their input each year, and watch the debt level reduce.  I was stung once by the Trust.  That's not going to happen again for me.  

Watched the first 5 minutes or so and there's really not much of use, apart from yet again going on about bringing players through and selling them on for a profit. When are we going to accept that that simply isn't going to happen? 

On the website, it really shouldn't be taking this long to produce one. Anybody with any knowledge of how to use a computer can knock up a passable one up on the likes of Wix or Wordpress in no time at all, even if it's just a blog. Even that old tit Ernie can run a blog.

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Upvote 1

AWMSC

It's all fine and well to talk about 'deal breakers' right now but what is going to happen when MCT's leadership actually enter a Cappielow back room and GC - via their cipher Crawford - starts playing hard ball to protect their interests? Are they seriously going to withhold the funds and walk away unless GC back down? I find that very, very hard to believe given the statements made so far tbh.

That doesn't mean that there's no point in buying into this scheme but people should take any claims about what the leadership definitely will and won't do with a lorryload of salt at this stage in the process. There can be no guarantees and they still need to prove themselves. 

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

GC have said that they aren't going to run the club at a loss anymore so the debt in theory shouldn't be getting any bigger, and in the video Graham said that one of the deal breakers on MCT's part is that they insist that the GC debt is written off and never to be paid back.

GC may save money by not having to invest as much of their own funds in to the first team budget, purely because MCT say that every penny they give to Morton will be for Hopkins first team budget.

I personally don't think we will get anywhere near the 400k target but after watching the whole video I also see a lot more positives in the scheme than I did before I watched it.

Aye, there will be no difference to GC other than a debt will be off their accounts.

It's all fine and well to talk about 'deal breakers' right now but what is going to happen when MCT's leadership actually enter a Cappielow back room and GC - via their cipher Crawford - starts playing hard ball to protect their interests? Are they seriously going to withhold the funds and walk away unless GC back down? I find that very, very hard to believe given the statements made so far tbh.

That doesn't mean that there's no point in buying into this scheme but people should take any claims about what the leadership definitely will and won't do with a lorryload of salt at this stage in the process. There can be no guarantees and they still need to prove themselves.

He said in the video that their plan before handing over any money is to get a seat on the board and that that person will represent the views of the pledgers and their votes and not their own personal views so I'd presume that would mean if GC mess them about that we'd have the say in how to proceed.

Of course you can only take people are face value just now but I'd personally rather trust MCT until they do something to lose than trust rather than be completely cynical until they prove their worth, as they'll get nowhere with GC if every fan goes in with that attitude.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

He said in the video that their plan before handing over any money is to get a seat on the board and that that person will represent the views of the pledgers and their votes and not their own personal views so I'd presume that would mean if GC mess them about that we'd have the say in how to proceed.

Of course you can only take people are face value just now but I'd personally rather trust MCT until they do something to lose than trust rather than be completely cynical until they prove their worth, as they'll get nowhere with GC if every fan goes in with that attitude.

This.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

There's not going to be an entirely open and democratic form of decision-making at club boardroom level though, that would be a dysfunctional mess. The MCT membership will presumably make any decision based on a set of options as reported to them by its delegate on the board: how those options are framed will depend entirely on private discussions with Crawford Rae, which is where all of GC's leverage can be put to use. That's just how a business negotiation works.

It's not cynical at all - I'm not suggesting that MCT's leadership plan to deliberately sell out their membership or anything. There should however be a healthy sense of realism about the power GC will try to wield in any negotiation to write off £2 million+ of debt that they have refused to ever write off before, regardless of whether MCT reaches its £400k pledge target or not. 

To set out any 'deal breakers' at this stage in the process is foolish and will make any subsequent climbdown all the more damaging to the organisation. 

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There is a danger this could end up in a us (the pledgers) and them (the rest of the fans) situation which could end up messy. Also with GC keeping 75% of shares MCT could have someone on the board that can be ignored.

• Upvote 1
"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

There is a danger this could end up in a us (the pledgers) and them (the rest of the fans) situation which could end up messy. Also with GC keeping 75% of shares MCT could have someone on the board that can be ignored.

That is effectively what happened with the GMST, I was told c. 2002 by a well known GMST board member that Jim McColl was on the GMFC board to represent the interests of GMST members, and was not the 'Fans representative' as was widely reported in the early days.

*insert signature here*

I think folk are nit-picking at literally anything to do with MCT now. Granted, the website isn’t the greatest but in fairness to Graham he has came out and provided a 14 minute vlog providing plenty information relating to the scheme as well as shedding more light on a number of grey areas.

Still very little about the debt being written off. It's the be all and end all really. Not sure why we cant get a statement from GC expressly committing to write it off if 400k is raised.

Because they're a business and it would need to get voted on by shareholders and and statements would need to be verified by lawyers. They won't be commuting to anything until such times as there's a concrete offer which MCT isn't at the moment.

Crawford has said publicly though that there's an agreement within GC that that debt wouldn't be an issue if there was investment and that if it was right for everyone then it would be written off. Presumably he's told MCT in private that they would be classes as the 'right' type so the onus is now on them to get the money together and give GC something to formally commit to.

Well, as long as he's made a completely non-binding promise - in private - in direct contradiction of what he actually said earlier at the Q&A, and without the accompaniment of the GC board who are empowered to sign a document to that effect, we have absolutely nothing to worry about.

• Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

Well, as long as he's made a completely non-binding promise - in private - in direct contradiction of what he actually said earlier at the Q&A, and without the accompaniment of the GC board who are empowered to sign a document to that effect, we have absolutely nothing to worry about.

How's it in contradiction?

He's said they'd write it off if the offer was right and obviously has some sort of agreement with MCT if they raise the money.

The last poster said GC should make a formal statement but it's a waste of their time to negotiate and agree everything until MCT is a fully formed idea with the required backing rather than the work in progress it is.

Given that the pledges are ultimately worthless, if Falkirk were doing this I'd be pledging daft amounts to nobble the whole thing.

It’s the same as buying a ‘Five bedroom bastard house’. You can put a bid in but when it comes to finding the equity you can find yourself in a caravan or a Linton Travel Tavern.

The Q&A session confirmed the debt will be written off and won’t be an obstacle for a new buyer which resulted in a round of applause from the room.

So we’re putting in 400k over 3 years towards the playing squad for him to write off the debt that he’s already said will be written off anyway?

The Q&A session confirmed the debt will be written off and won’t be an obstacle for a new buyer which resulted in a round of applause from the room.

So we’re putting in 400k over 3 years towards the playing squad for him to write off the debt that he’s already said will be written off anyway?

The 400k MCT want us to put in to the club has nothing to do with the outstanding debt as it will be going to the first team budget, they've just said (in the video) that they won't give them the cash unless the debt is written off.  Whether it was going to be written off already is irrelevant, all that matters is that it is.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

No, he said at the Q&A it wouldn't be persued and would be written off if there was the right investment or change. MCT are trying to make it happen since there doesn't seem to be anything else forthcoming.

He did say that it's pretty much on paper only (and their accountant advised to keep it there) but it would be nice to get rid of it and at the same time increase the playing budget.

As others have said though, MCT have a lot of work to do to prove they are the ones to secure this change.