Squad and transfers 2019/20 - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad and transfers 2019/20

Hej

Because I am taking Hopkin as not being a fucking moron who wouldn't offer what you have described which would be an embarrassingly low offer worthy of on the spot refusal rather than a token 'will let you know' based on the fact he would know their current contract.

We don't know which were our decision and which were the players decision but I doubt very much it was because we insulted them with offers.

It's knicker wetting to think we will have the gall to bother putting an offer in front of someone on half wages or whatever would lead to instant refusal.

Unless they have other better offers already secured, the token 'will let you know' would likely apply because they don't know what else they can get.

Yes, some we might not have offered to because we didn't want to pay the going rate for them any more so binned them for budgetary reasons rather than footballing reasons but regardless, it doesn't matter how or why they went, the most important think is they have and none are worth crying over anyway.

My point being - we don't know they were 'binned'.  And by 'binned' I mean not offered anything, shown the door.  Very likely some were, highly unlikely all were.

Far more likely that some had already had offers elsewhere and said a polite 'no thanks'.

I think its an exciting time given the changes Hopkin has already discussed, and his obvious pedigree, but except for a few key players I think the money on offer will be very low. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really see why the idea of a batch of players being let go seems like an unlikely scenario, given that none of them are indispensable.

Gaston said he was told that there wasn't the money there to offer him a deal though, which could mean a few things, from being totally skint to the other guy being a superstar in the making and going with him and a cheaper back-up. We really just need to wait and see who comes in over the next few weeks before we get any clear idea of what kind of budget Hopkin has.

AWMSC

I don't really see why the idea of a batch of players being let go seems like an unlikely scenario, given that none of them are indispensable.

Gaston said he was told that there wasn't the money there to offer him a deal though, which could mean a few things, from being totally skint to the other guy being a superstar in the making and going with him and a cheaper back-up. We really just need to wait and see who comes in over the next few weeks before we get any clear idea of what kind of budget Hopkin has.

Or, as has been the case for the past 5 months, that Gaston himself is thought of as the back up and we are going for a cheaper option than him in that category, likely the Geordie.

My point being - we don't know they were 'binned'. And by 'binned' I mean not offered anything, shown the door. Very likely some were, highly unlikely all were.

Far more likely that some had already had offers elsewhere and said a polite 'no thanks'.

I think its an exciting time given the changes Hopkin has already discussed, and his obvious pedigree, but except for a few key players I think the money on offer will be very low.

We don't know, but it's a pointless point just now anyway. Regardless of the how and why, all that matters is that they are gone and none of them are worth crying over.

We will make informed judgements on the budget when we see what type of players come in rather than speculating about the how of the exits.

Lets be honest, Oliver only turns it on for about 5 games a year and as much as telfer was great towards the end, for the most part he was a ghost.

Mckeown wasn't great either.

Need to have a bit of a trust in hoppy and what he has planned.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Or, as has been the case for the past 5 months, that Gaston himself is thought of as the back up and we are going for a cheaper option than him in that category, likely the Geordie.

This is definitely the more likely case. Hopkin had Alexander in the sticks at Livi, I doubt he would plump for some guy just starting to get his career on track. More likely see an established number 1 come in or a loan signing of McCrorrie's quality with Gaston's wage being put towards that.

Telfer’s the only one I’m disappointed to lose, but even he was a passenger for a lot of his time here. I think it’s important Hopkin has as clean a slate as possible.

Thomson got offered peanuts to be a squad player, and it’s probably more likely he’ll end up in Ireland. McHugh I would assume similar? I’m not 100% on him though - perhaps Hopkin rates him higher than most of us do. I’d be fine with him coming off the bench for us but with the budget the way it is that shouldn’t really be a priority. He’s not good enough to start every week so I’m really not sure what the deal is there.

We’ll have had to have offered Tidser better, or at the very least equal, terms for him to stay. If somebody else is paying Hopkin’s salary as rumoured then they must be offering to do the same for him.

So if we're going with a 3-5-2 then with our current signings/offers we have:

New Keeper

New CB               Buchanan            New CB   

Tumilty                Millar             Tidser            McAlister            Strapp

McHugh         Thomson

If we can keep McCrorie and Kiltie on loan then that would be a half decent start of a squad, although I would replace Thomson with someone like Zac Rudden if possible. 

Wouldn’t have either of the strikers starting the game, Strapp is an unknown quantity at this level but expect him to be our left back, McAllister would be no loss and Turnitty I wouldn’t pay over the odds to keep.

Rae said Tidsers deal at Falkirk was ‘stupid money’. If he stays we will be offering an inflated pay you would imagine.

Wouldn’t have either of the strikers starting the game, Strapp is an unknown quantity at this level but expect him to be our left back, McAllister would be no loss and Turnitty I wouldn’t pay over the odds to keep.

Rae said Tidsers deal at Falkirk was ‘stupid money’. If he stays we will be offering an inflated pay you would imagine.

Got to think we’ve offered him something competitive if we knew the previous Falkirk offer. Still got a feeling he’ll end up with the snake.

Glad he's been offered reduced terms. You have to wonder if there's any other full time clubs out there who would want him.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Got to think we’ve offered him something competitive if we knew the previous Falkirk offer. Still got a feeling he’ll end up with the snake.

The fact he wasn't on the original list of 8 gives me some hope that our offer must be decent enough for him to be considering it. You would think if it was rubbish, he would have said thanks but no thanks on Monday and he would be away with the rest of them.

However he won't be short of offers so unless some external investor( Hi Sandy) is willing to help out, I can see him moving on...

Hoppy or not, the reduced budget still gives me the fear.

Agreed but looking over on pandb, it seems many clubs are in the same boat. 

ICT, Dunfermline, Queens and Partick all seem to be cutting costs too. Get the impression this will be a real tough pre season for players fighting for contracts! They naturally won't like it, but unless you are a standout quality player like Tidser,  they will probably need to accept wage cuts or look at moving part time!

McHugh in todays paper saying he'll do whats right for his family after being offered reduced terms.

Can’t imagine there’s a queue of full-time clubs asking for his signature.

ICT, Dunfermline, Queens and Partick all seem to be cutting costs too. Get the impression this will be a real tough pre season for players fighting for contracts! They naturally won't like it, but unless you are a standout quality player like Tidser, they will probably need to accept wage cuts or look at moving part time!

This.

It's going to be a tough market for players this summer. By all accounts, the current wage structures at this level seem to be unsustainable with most clubs making big losses even with the increased prize money.

Most clubs will be cutting their cloth accordingly this summer, increased focus on younger players and loans. It's wrong to look at us in isolation and get unduly concerned.

It seems the market has unnaturally inflated over the past few years so mediocre experienced full time players might have saw their wages go up. The bubble has burst and they may find they have to wind their expectations down a few notches for their next contract.

Unfortunately, anyone still willing to overspend becomes more attractive regardless of their position which could make Falkirk still an attraction if they do even in League 1 and why we are seeing players who were regulars in this league and league 1 dropping down to big spending Kelty Hearts.

The battle for contracts is likely to be tough and the smart players might be the ones that take what they can get as soon as they get offered it.

ICT, Dunfermline, Queens and Partick all seem to be cutting costs too. Get the impression this will be a real tough pre season for players fighting for contracts! They naturally won't like it, but unless you are a standout quality player like Tidser, they will probably need to accept wage cuts or look at moving part time!

ICT are in huge trouble financially, aren't they?

Archived