Hopkin Appointed - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Hopkin Appointed

Excellent cost cutting exercise combining the sports scientist and assistant manager roles. Will be good to see a Morton assistant actually do a bit on the park before games instead of just wandering around arms folded blowing a whistle and clicking a stop watch every now and again

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which one and why?

The fitness guy. I would've thought the new assistants main role would be coaching and general duties of any assistant, and work along with Farrell on the sports science side. 

The fitness guy. I would've thought the new assistants main role would be coaching and general duties of any assistant, and work along with Farrell on the sports science side. 

Expect Hopkin will be very hands on in terms of coaching and that the new assistant will be tasked with fitness/recovery if that's his area of expertise. I think I heard somewhere that Mark Farrell (fitness) has left the club but might be wrong about that.

All depends if they feel they need that or can get away with the Assistant Manager doing it, maybe someone else helping with the coaching as well (experienced player stepping up).

He was Hopkin's Assistant at Bradford, so it's not definite that he comes in with role combine/cost saving in mind. Could be a happy benefit they will go for though.

Also depends if they think Farrell is actually doing a decent enough job to remain (no idea, but have seen a few question that).

Rather than assist, this appointment could easily undermine a person with the current title of 'Head of football science and medicine', especially when the new appointment seems of far higher pedigree in that field.

As the season continues Anton McElhone could well provide the magic required for the rebirth and recovery of Bradford City.

Didn't exactly work out that way though, did it? 

I've got nothing against the appointment but some no-mark Yorkshire blogger's point of view really is irrelevant to us, not least when the 'upturn' that he was holding certain staff responsible for almost immediately fizzled out and they got relegated without even a fight. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Didn't exactly work out that way though, did it?

I've got nothing against the appointment but some no-mark Yorkshire blogger's point of view really is irrelevant to us, not least when the 'upturn' that he was holding certain staff responsible for almost immediately fizzled out and they got relegated without even a fight.

To be fair, Bradford was never really going to be a success for many managers so the points about why he'd be looking to move lower down the ladder in terms of club are still true.

Working with the likes of Spurs first team for that period of time is a pretty impressive thing to have on a CV. Certainly better than the last sports science guy and might have some good contacts too.

Sounds like a fantastic appointment. My only worry would be that if it was as good an appointment as it seems then he wouldn't be joining Morton as an assistant manager regardless of his friendship with Hopkin.

Very happy with it on the face of it though.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Sounds like a fantastic appointment. My only worry would be that if it was as good an appointment as it seems then he wouldn't be joining Morton as an assistant manager regardless of his friendship with Hopkin.

Very happy with it on the face of it though.

That's why I thought that article was quite interesting since it made the point that it's a step into management and not just coaching.

To be fair, Bradford was never really going to be a success for many managers so the points about why he'd be looking to move lower down the ladder in terms of club are still true.

Bradford are an undoubtedly a basketcase club but that doesn't mean that we should just cherry-pick what we want to believe from Hopkin and his staff's spell there. 

This guy's overall CV and the fact that he has already worked with Hopkin is what makes him a credible choice for the job; the crap 'analysis' of Bradford's gormless, flat-cap wearing, whippet piss-drinking fanbase should be filed in the bin where it belongs.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Bradford are an undoubtedly a basketcase club but that doesn't mean that we should just cherry-pick what we want to believe from Hopkin and his staff's spell there.

This guy's overall CV and the fact that he has already worked with Hopkin is what makes him a credible choice for the job; the crap 'analysis' of Bradford's gormless, flat-cap wearing, whippet piss-drinking fanbase should be filed in the bin where it belongs.

Nah, there's a couple of decent points there. Particularly the common sense one on why he's dropping down to a club like Bradford/ Morton.

Anyway, it's nothing to base an opinion on but positive nonetheless.

Archived