General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 28 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

On my phone and can't be bothered looking it up, but I think PAOK have now fallen at the final hurdle more times than any other club. Maybe Brondby have them beat.

But they're still nowhere near Poland levels of fail, particularly given that Olympiacos punched at a decent level for years.

EOho8Pw.png

AEK make it four eliminations from four by slithering out at hated trans-Bosphorus opponents Trabzonspor.

Tinpot league found. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

TFS did not - Linfield were cruelly knocked out on away goals by Qarabag. 

Which is a terrible, wee, shame for them.

582a6c7b-0370-45f1-9595-485d6b8aa746.jpg

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I had it backwards, thought they'd gone through on away goals.

I'm trying to figure which UEFA countries have not had a group stage representative in Europe in the Champions League era, either in the CL or the UEFA Cup/EL. I think I'm right in saying it's the following:

Gibraltar

Andorra

San Marino

Liechtenstein

Iceland

Kosovo

Northern Ireland

Armenia

Estonia

Malta

Montenegro

August company for TFS, there. Microstates, places where they don't play football, and warzones. (Then again I suppose NI fits at least one of those categories half the time.)

EOho8Pw.png

I had it backwards, thought they'd gone through on away goals.

I'm trying to figure which UEFA countries have not had a group stage representative in Europe in the Champions League era, either in the CL or the UEFA Cup/EL. I think I'm right in saying it's the following:

Gibraltar

Andorra

San Marino

Liechtenstein

Iceland

Kosovo

Northern Ireland

Armenia

Estonia

Malta

Montenegro

August company for TFS, there. Microstates, places where they don't play football, and warzones. (Then again I suppose NI fits at least one of those categories half the time.)

Faroe Islands? 

Luxembourg had a team in last year, too. Swansea were indeed in the group stages, and that's a bit of an edge case. I suppose if we're talking about teams entered by the FAW, then Wales doesn't have one.

I think you're right about Lithuania. I had it in my head that Zalgiris had been to a group stage, but they've not.

• Downvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

• 3 weeks later...

The CL is the pinnacle of football and has been for years, and anyone who doesn't like it is a fucking weirdo. My favorite is when people say "the Champions league should be for champions :angry: " and "it was better when there were more crap teams in it :angry: ", as if anyone's on the edge of their seat for Legia Warsaw against Barcelona or Salzburg at Juventus. The format is ace - all the continent's best teams plus a fair shot for the smaller countries to get involved.

And granted, not every knockout stage has been as amazing as this year's quarters, but this is what it's all about, the world's best facing each other with sparks flying and amazing comebacks and shocks.

I'm sure everyone's on tenterhooks for "Genk" against Salzburg tomorrow night, and will be giving the likes of Napoli-Liverpool a miss?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

I'm sure everyone's on tenterhooks for "Genk" against Salzburg tomorrow night, and will be giving the likes of Napoli-Liverpool a miss?

I understand you're being sarcastic, and of course you're right, outside of Austria and Belgium the game will be of zero interest. But given Genk's population (~66k) is somewhat less than Invercyde's (~79k), I think their achievement in even getting to the Champion's League is something to be admired rather than scoffed at.

Edit to add:

There are actually quite some similarities between Inverclyde and Genk, both suffered from high unemployment, deprivation and depopulation after the collapse of local heavy industries (coal mining in the case of Genk) in the 80s and 90s. Genk has started to turn things around though, and employment and population are slowly recovering. Hopefully one day Inverclyde and Morton can emulate them.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant
  • Downvote 1

Sure, it's a nice achievement for them to win the league and qualify, but that's all it is, an "aw, good for them" moment.

Also, I assume their fan base is bigger than just Genk proper. Presumably it has a metro area. A bit like Motherwell, who draw from a lot of the surrounding towns.

EOho8Pw.png

Also, I assume their fan base is bigger than just Genk proper. Presumably it has a metro area. A bit like Motherwell, who draw from a lot of the surrounding towns.

Funnily enough I was at a work event in Hasselt a few weeks ago, which is only a few km from Genk, and is somewhat bigger. As Hasselt doesn't have a football team worthy of the name (they play in the 4th tier amateur league) I asked if most football fans in the city support Genk, and the response was a pretty emphatic 'no'. So I think Genk's fanbase is pretty much limited to the city and surrounding villages... maybe around 100k. 

I see that we're back to using anecdotal 'evidence' to desperately affirm that Belgium is something other than a boring, pointless bin of a country with a diddy league that nobody cares about. 

• Upvote 1