General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 35 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

1 minute ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Waterschei (full name Koninjklik Waterschei Sportvereniging Thor Genk, believe it or not) actually reach the semi-final of the European Cup Winners Cup in season 82-82, only to be pumped 5-2 on aggregate by eventual winners Aberdeen.    

And a few years later, KV Mechelen SWORDED St. Mirren on their way to the Cup Winners' Cup title. Probably the only good thing ever to come out of Belgian football.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

12 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

And a few years later, KV Mechelen SWORDED St. Mirren on their way to the Cup Winners' Cup title. Probably the only good thing ever to come out of Belgian football.

Haha, aye, that was in the good old days when relatively small provincial clubs like Aberdeen and Mechelen could win major European trophies. Doubt we'll ever see these days again.

Just now, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Haha, aye, that was in the good old days when relatively small provincial clubs like Aberdeen and Mechelen could win major European trophies. Doubt we'll ever see these days again.

Same with teams from behind the Iron Curtain. Obviously it's a good thing that the wall is down and Eastern Europe is free but even within my memory there was something very exotic about teams like Red Star Belgrade and Steaua being so good. They were giant clubs but they could only really have players from their own countries, and we knew next to nothing about them until they showed up and horsed teams like Juventus. A very different time in football. For all kinds of reasons I think today is better but yes, there was something special about it.

I mean, even the commentary of that Waterschei game. The commentator had to admit that he basically knew nothing about them except that three of them were internationals. Not like today when you can get someone's entire career data from his childhood onwards and everyone (who is motivated to find out) can know everything about everyone else.

Maybe the upcoming UEFA Conference League will bring back some of this but I doubt it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

EOho8Pw.png

• 3 weeks later...

The ISL returns in India next weekend. Erik Paartalu remains at Bengaluru for his fourth season. It's going to be a "bubble" season, with all games behind closed doors in three stadiums in the state of Goa.

Perhaps also of Scottish interest: ex-Celtic nobody Danny Fox is now with East Bengal, and ex-Motherwell defender Carl McHugh (no relation to Bob) is with their local rivals, ATK Mohun Bagan.

On that subject, East Bengal and Mohun Bagan are now both in the ISL instead of the I-League. They've been huge rivals first in the Calcutta/Kolkata for about a century now, playing one of Asia's biggest derbies (arguably the biggest outside of Iran and Japan.) Mohun Bagan merged with ATK (the former Atletico Kolkata) and joined the league a few months ago. East Bengal followed.

What becomes of the I-League isn't clear, with their two biggest clubs now having jumped ship. There are other very traditional teams there, such as Mohammedan Kolkata, but the fan interest won't be as great without the two city giants gone. Ex-Rangers man David Robertson is still manager at Real Kashmir. They and the rest of the I-League teams kick off their own bubble season in Kolkata in the New Year.

EOho8Pw.png

We were superb tonight  tbh. Thoroughly deserved to go through, despite Serbia having us under the cosh in ET. The system Clarke has built over the past few games is impressive considering how awful it looked when we first tried it out against Israel in the nations league. Lets us get our best players out on the pitch and in roles suited to them, even if they're out of position like McTominay and to a lesser extent Tierney. Also getting performances out of the likes of Gallagher who absolutely bodied Mitrovic for the full hour and a half, and Ryan Jack who has gone from a "why is he in the squad" to nailed on starter in the space of a few games.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Get it right up VT and his distaste for the Scottish Nation Team and international football.

Drink it in, boy

There's an old Spanish TV sketch, a couple of guys in balaclavas sitting watching a Spain match. They're both Eta by context - they're going on about how much they hate the Spanish state, and only the Basque team is legitimate, and they hope Spain get pumped. Then Spain score, and for a half second they jump off the couch with their arms in the air, before checking themselves and sitting down. 

Anyone who isn't like that with the Scotland national team, despite their protestations, is an absolute, bona fide wrong 'un. If you are Scottish and can genuinely sit there stony-faced at Christie's goal or Marshy's save (extra time or penalty, it doesn't matter), you belong on a watchlist, no question. Fine, 364 days out of the year, tell people how pointless the national team is, say you're above it all, whatever. But anyone who can genuinely say they weren't moved by yesterday's events is either kidding themselves on or wants their hard drive checked. 

• Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

On 11/13/2020 at 6:54 AM, TONofmemories said:

Get it right up VT and his distaste for the Scottish Nation Team and international football.

Drink it in, boy

Erm yes, deepest congratulations on joining the illustrious ranks of *checks notes* Albania, North Macedonia, the Failed Statelet and Hungary who have managed to qualify in the 'absolute dreck' category since the Euros expanded to include nearly half of the continent. Shame the open top bus parade was cancelled!

The reality is that Scotland should be qualifying for the Euros roughly 50% of the time - they're now 1/2 - and the fact that Serbia were in the play-off route in the first place pointed to the fact that they are not very good as well. Scotland played well for parts of the game that I saw though I was more involved in laughing at the Failed Statelet for joining their south of the border cousins in getting sworded by the Slovaks. 

The bonus for Scotland fans is that they actually have a very good group as between a derby with England and two entirely beatable opponents they can realistically get out of the group. It doesn't make international football any less of a ridiculous side show though. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Erm yes, deepest congratulations on joining the illustrious ranks of *checks notes* Albania, North Macedonia, the Failed Statelet and Hungary who have managed to qualify in the 'absolute dreck' category since the Euros expanded to include nearly half of the continent. Shame the open top bus parade was cancelled!

The reality is that Scotland should be qualifying for the Euros roughly 50% of the time - they're now 1/2 - and the fact that Serbia were in the play-off route in the first place pointed to the fact that they are not very good as well. Scotland played well for parts of the game that I saw though I was more involved in laughing at the Failed Statelet for joining their south of the border cousins in getting sworded by the Slovaks. 

The bonus for Scotland fans is that they actually have a very good group as between a derby with England and two entirely beatable opponents they can realistically get out of the group. It doesn't make international football any less of a ridiculous side show though. 

TL;DR

Who'd have thought that even with such a long wait, Scotland still managed to qualify for a tournament before you popped your cherry?

• Like 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 3:08 PM, TRVMP said:

This Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for the fact that Celtic are absolute horse. 

This three-days-after Thanksgiving, my gratitude endures, and now has a Highland tinge to it.

EOho8Pw.png

On 10/1/2020 at 9:56 PM, TRVMP said:

Just got around to watching the Everton-West Ham highlights. Richarlison is looking great, but Calvert-Lewin cost, what, 1.5m? And he's absolutely dominant this season. Everton are a joy to watch. They must be spending big to try to be respectable again but, in fairness, it's working out for them.

Lol, never mind. (Except Calvert-Lewin, who is still top notch.)

Also an "idiot found" moment with regards to Arteta. I thought he'd do well this season.

EOho8Pw.png

This guy makes great videos (except for the time he said Paartalu was on 70 grand a week.) So while I've not watched this one yet, it's probably a good summary:

It's been showing up on my YT homepage for a few days, just haven't watched it yet.

EOho8Pw.png

7 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

This guy makes great videos (except for the time he said Paartalu was on 70 grand a week.) So while I've not watched this one yet, it's probably a good summary:

It's been showing up on my YT homepage for a few days, just haven't watched it yet.

I watched it the other day. The boy’s videos are generally very good, aye. Basically they’re spending a fortune on a training ground, not making enough from player sales and buying shite from lower end Bundesliga clubs and have, as a result become a lower end Bundesliga club.